How does summon resist function in Diablo II?

Darkshamangarrosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Does it even function at all?

For example in 1.00(im not 100% sure if this info is correct because i havent checked the mpqs but its the lurkerlounge which is just like this website- it was the og place for all d2 information)

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=779

it says skeletons have 75 poison resist. With one point of summon resist shouldnt skeletons become immune to poison? But even normal andy seems to obliterate my skeletons with that poison cloud.(yes im aware of the 10x dmg to the minions thing)

Now lets fast forward to 1.10+
I was duel testing infinity's lvl 12 conviction (-85 res) with a lvl 22 resist fire (133 resist) which alone should theoretically be unbreakable even by lvl 25 conviction but even the lvl 12 off infinity breaks it. Nevermind the fact that 71 summon resist+133 is 200+ resist or do they not stack at all? This is very confusing as the only way i could make summons immune to the effects of conviction/lower resist were to have salvation+resist fire/cold/etc auras on active at the same time. Its like summon resist is its own special spell which doesnt stack with anything or idk.?

also side question. do skeletons still have that poison resist that the lurker lounge guide stated(if at all?) post 1.09?

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Conviction is still 100% effective against a hostile player's immune pets.

Skeletons don't have inherent resistances.

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
Woah. Don't make the mistake of using old-patch info for newer patches. :p
The LL was(is) great, but not for 1.14. The game started to take huge leaps with 1.07, a lot has changed between 1.06 and 1.14.

In my opinion the #1 source for 1.14 is the Amazon Basin Wiki. And then there's the Arreat Summit and a few other wikis to kinda fill in the gaps (since the Basin wiki doesn't cover everything). Here are a few links:
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/index.php/Raise_Skeleton
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/index.php/Summon_Resist
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/index.php/Resist_Fire
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/index.php/Conviction

If you go over the pages, a Skeleton should indeed be immune to fire damage with 133 (resist fire) + 71 (summon resist), even after -85 (Conviction).
Are you sure that you had Summon Resist skilled before summoning the Skeleton? And you're certain that Resist Fire was active on the Skeleton when it took fire damage?

Last edited:

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
At least since 1.10, Necroskeletons (and Necromages) don't have any inherent Poison Resist, and even if they did and they became Immune to Poison with Summon Resist, Andariel's projectiles also inflict physical damage.

If a pet's immunity is dependent on Summon Resist then it isn't labelled as Immune, even though it actually is.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
... a lvl 22 resist fire (133 resist)...
Earlier you said resist fire but more recently you mention resist lightning. I'm assuming you tested out both so I'll just talk about lightning for now.

Did the skeleton actually die to lightning damage? Could it just be a display issue, where the skeleton is immune but it doesn't have the label?

Darkshamangarrosh

Diabloii.Net Member
I have them both skilled at same level

edit

Conviction is still 100% effective against a hostile player's immune pets.

Skeletons don't have inherent resistances.
I think this is the answer really

reason why i was saying resist fire is back then i had a fire sorc wth mass -resist and to me it seemed that only "conviction" broke their resists ( i mean its the most logical thing as immunities of mobs could only be broken by lower resist/conviction and i mean skeletons are still listed in monsters.txt afaik)it but apparently any - resist(like facets, etc) functions just like conviction against player immune pets( just like cold mastery did in 1.00-06 irrc)

now i have a trapper and I used a lower resist wand in conjunction with infinity and sure enough the immunity was broken. Case closed lol

Last edited:

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
uwot? :p
It was explained right there:
If a pet's immunity is dependent on Summon Resist then it isn't labelled as Immune, even though it actually is.
So after Conviction, the Skeleton is in fact still immune with 119 resist just like you said, but his description calculates 133-85=48, and removes the immunity from his description. (Because Blizzard.)
Also, -Enemy Resistance does not break immunities, so that won't do anything at all until the resistance is <100. (The Basin wiki has details on that as well.)
Lastly, Cold Mastery up to 1.09 pierced resistances by essentially ignoring the listed percentage of the target resistance. I don't think there is any de-buff that works like that anymore, everything just does a flat subtraction now.

Anyway, generally speaking, you're better off avoiding relying on descriptions or graphics to tell you what's going on. The character screen for example was/is often referred to as the "Lying Character Screen" for a good reason. :p
(Even health bars of targets can fool you at times because they don't always want to update. It is what it is!)
If you want to know whether something is immune, just attack it with a million damage. :p