Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How does resistance work exactly?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by GaArchAnGeL, Nov 8, 2006.

1. GaArchAnGeL

GaArchAnGeL Diabloii.Net Member

How does resistance work exactly?

I currently have 80/75/75/75 in hell, but whenever i face Infector of Souls in the Chaos Sanctuary i lose hp a little too quickly.
    This is my understanding of resistance.
    At 80FR, monsters who do fire damage only do 20% of their damage. So in this case with Venom lords they will do 20% of 94-150 which is 19-30.
    Is this correct? Also is it worthwhile to vex my shako so my FR is boosted to 85?

2. kuafu

kuafu Diabloii.Net Member

That is correct, assuming you're not under the effect of Lower Resist or Conviction that lowers your resist. Normally lightning damage is the most dangerous, so I'm kind of surprised that you're having trouble with fire damage at 80FR. Are you sure it's the inferno that does most of the damage? because I'd think the physical damage from that boss pack will be much more damaging.

3. Are

Are Diabloii.Net Member

Are you running towards or away from them when they're inferno-ing? I believe they do fire damage per frame, so running within the inferno will deal you more damage than if you stand still.

4. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind Diabloii.Net Member

First, what build? Second, how much MDR/PDR and what are your physical resistance and total absorbs? Third, are you confusing the damage from normal with the damage in hell, or damage per frame (there are 25 frames per second)?

5. GaArchAnGeL

Kuafu: Im assuming its the inferno damage because i dont get dealt much physical damage unless im amp'ed.
    Are: I open the seal then stand still spamming hammers.
    Ax2GRIND: Im a Hdin. I dont have any MDR/PDR that i can recall and have no absorb and 18DR%. I was just stating damage from Arreat's Summit. Im not confused but just wondering why they do so much damage to me, i often have to use a full rejuv to survive.

6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer Diabloii.Net Member

A tactic to avoid their damage is to lure them into your hammer by making a hammerfield and slowly retreating from them, they will follow you and walking into your hammers then die like flies. Regarding putting a vex in your shako, it's better to use hotspurs.

- D.J.

7. smeer

smeer Diabloii.Net Member

AFAIK those monsers have CB. Could it be CB causing your life to drop fast?

8. Are

Are Diabloii.Net Member

I took a look at Arreat Summit, and the 94-150 damage is for their melee attack, not for the Inferno. The damage for the Inferno attack is not listed, unfortunately.

9. oakienko

oakienko Diabloii.Net Member

well there are usually 10+ venom lords to go with him.
    If they're all breathing on you it's like having 2+ breathing on you at 0 FR, going with the fact that you don't have MDR.

10. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind Diabloii.Net Member

Are you talking about the Infector? Contrary to popular belief, he's the most difficult of the three seal super uniques to deal with. The process that I've maintained for years now has been this:
    In any case, having absolutely no MDR is suicide, since their fire damage is per frame. Give up the +skills from whatever amulet you're wearing and use Crescent Moon, or stick on Skin of the Vipermagi (ideal for any Thaaretic), or both. You'll see a huge difference in the damage you're taking, but that doesn't mean you should stand in the middle of them and start hammering.

11. GaArchAnGeL

Thanks for the advice but i dont have time to do that because i Chaos then try to catch the 3rd wave of the baal run. So i need to kill as quickly as possible.
    I have a bandaid solution for the time being. I got some more life sc's so i can survive longer then hope i can redeem most of my health back while they are still attacking me:undecided: .

12. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

Just keep a dwarf star or rising sun in your inventory to switch to. Easy Peasy.

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You probably mean Rising Sun :wink3: Crescent Moon is the dual leech amulet.