How does resistance work exactly?

GaArchAnGeL

Diabloii.Net Member
How does resistance work exactly?

I currently have 80/75/75/75 in hell, but whenever i face Infector of Souls in the Chaos Sanctuary i lose hp a little too quickly.
This is my understanding of resistance.
At 80FR, monsters who do fire damage only do 20% of their damage. So in this case with Venom lords they will do 20% of 94-150 which is 19-30.
Is this correct? Also is it worthwhile to vex my shako so my FR is boosted to 85?

kuafu

Diabloii.Net Member
That is correct, assuming you're not under the effect of Lower Resist or Conviction that lowers your resist. Normally lightning damage is the most dangerous, so I'm kind of surprised that you're having trouble with fire damage at 80FR. Are you sure it's the inferno that does most of the damage? because I'd think the physical damage from that boss pack will be much more damaging.

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you running towards or away from them when they're inferno-ing? I believe they do fire damage per frame, so running within the inferno will deal you more damage than if you stand still.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
First, what build? Second, how much MDR/PDR and what are your physical resistance and total absorbs? Third, are you confusing the damage from normal with the damage in hell, or damage per frame (there are 25 frames per second)?

GaArchAnGeL

Diabloii.Net Member
Kuafu: Im assuming its the inferno damage because i dont get dealt much physical damage unless im amp'ed.
Are: I open the seal then stand still spamming hammers.
Ax2GRIND: Im a Hdin. I dont have any MDR/PDR that i can recall and have no absorb and 18DR%. I was just stating damage from Arreat's Summit. Im not confused but just wondering why they do so much damage to me, i often have to use a full rejuv to survive.

DjSlayer

Diabloii.Net Member
A tactic to avoid their damage is to lure them into your hammer by making a hammerfield and slowly retreating from them, they will follow you and walking into your hammers then die like flies. Regarding putting a vex in your shako, it's better to use hotspurs.

- D.J.

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
I took a look at Arreat Summit, and the 94-150 damage is for their melee attack, not for the Inferno. The damage for the Inferno attack is not listed, unfortunately.

oakienko

Diabloii.Net Member
well there are usually 10+ venom lords to go with him.
If they're all breathing on you it's like having 2+ breathing on you at 0 FR, going with the fact that you don't have MDR.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you talking about the Infector? Contrary to popular belief, he's the most difficult of the three seal super uniques to deal with. The process that I've maintained for years now has been this:
Ax2Grind said:
Clear the CS main entrance to the middle, then start on the upper left (Infector). Once that entire wing is clear, hit the appropriate seal to release him, but only hit the second seal after he and his minions are dead and if the shrine is not on that side. Next, clear the upper right wing and hit the seal there. If you're a melee character or traditionally have issues dealing with Lord De Seis, either portal out and run back in from the WP or lure his minions away from him and then run by him towards the center. You can use previously cleared sections as fallback positions, which comes in handy with Ventar. Once the third wing has been cleared, you're free to go anywhere in the CS to avoid Ventar. He's always extra fast, which means his minions deal a lot of fire damage. Depending on the wing design you may have to portal out, then lure one at a time and deal with them that way.
In any case, having absolutely no MDR is suicide, since their fire damage is per frame. Give up the +skills from whatever amulet you're wearing and use Crescent Moon, or stick on Skin of the Vipermagi (ideal for any Thaaretic), or both. You'll see a huge difference in the damage you're taking, but that doesn't mean you should stand in the middle of them and start hammering.

GaArchAnGeL

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you talking about the Infector? Contrary to popular belief, he's the most difficult of the three seal super uniques to deal with. The process that I've maintained for years now has been this:

In any case, having absolutely no MDR is suicide, since their fire damage is per frame. Give up the +skills from whatever amulet you're wearing and use Crescent Moon, or stick on Skin of the Vipermagi (ideal for any Thaaretic), or both. You'll see a huge difference in the damage you're taking, but that doesn't mean you should stand in the middle of them and start hammering.
Thanks for the advice but i dont have time to do that because i Chaos then try to catch the 3rd wave of the baal run. So i need to kill as quickly as possible.
I have a bandaid solution for the time being. I got some more life sc's so i can survive longer then hope i can redeem most of my health back while they are still attacking me:undecided: .