Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How does my Orb/Light Sorc Look? Please Comment!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by shallowprofile, Apr 16, 2008.

1. shallowprofile

shallowprofile IncGamers Member

How does my Orb/Light Sorc Look? Please Comment!

Hi guys, I've recently had the urge to play my frozen orb/lightning sorc.

Here are the stats and skill point distro I have for her:

Level 80

160 base strength
    200 base dexterity
    90 base vitality
    35 base energy

1 charged bolt
    1 static field
    1 telekinesis
    20 lightning
    1 teleport
    20 chain lightning
    20 lightning mastery

1 ice bolt
    1 ice blast
    1 frost nova
    1 glacial spike
    1 blizzard
    20 frozen orb
    1 cold mastery

1 warmth

I have several questions. Obviously, I'm going for max block, and SS with my high strength. Where should i allocate my remaining points? I have thought of putting them into Teleport, or maxing a cold armor, probably shiver. Or putting more points into cold mastery.

This char is going to be pure MF. I don't do pvp WHATSOEVER! I only care about MF. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do countess, andarial, summoner, mephisto, shenk, eldritch, pindleskin, nihlathak, and ... baal? Maybe? Don't even know if I can.

What would you guys do with the rest of your skill points? And what is the ideal gear you would equip for maximizing efficiency and MF? I have made a lot of "money" mf'ing on another sorc, so the best gear is what i'm looking for. Well not the best best, but I have 10-15HR value to trade for her gear.

Any comments and suggestions are great. I have an Act 2 defiance merc for her at the moment, by the way.

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: How does my Orb/Light Sorc Look? Please Comment!

If PvM go for VITA! Seriously, 90 Vita is waaaay low (for my perferences). Outside the PvP/Hardcore gaming, you don't really need block, and Spirit >>> Stormshield, in any case. I say put base 156 strength, 0 dexterity and rest vita. You won't regret it.

3. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

I'd put the rest in charged bolt or cold mastery (at the very least useful until you get -100 % after +skills) for more damage. Damage = speed = more runs. Your dex seems awfully high. You also put 4 points too much into strength. But no biggie, just keep allocating enough dex for 75% block and put the rest into vit and you'll do fine.

4. shallowprofile

shallowprofile IncGamers Member

thanks for the comments so far. looking for more!

i put 200 into dex so that i don't really have to worry about putting any more into it so that i have max block with either stormshield, troll nest sanctuary, or whatever. since i put so much into strength i wanna utilize either stormshield or a spirit monarch, but with so many points for max block, i'd lean toward stormshield, since a spirit monarch is not really a good choice for max block route.

i like max block because when i use lightning and chain lightning im really not moving at all, and stormshield + max block reduces my damage taken to like nothing. at around level **, i'll have another 10 points to spend i think, and i would probably put 9 into cold mastery, and 1 into energy shield if necessary, or just into a cold armor.

any other suggestions? i haven't really thought about getting to 105% fcr yet, so far thinking of using an isted occy almost for sure. wanted to also use a shako for added damage reduction along with my stormshield. 2 soj's for rings and a frostburn for sufficient mana. need some suggestions for my armor, and also boots.

i'm losing a lot of mf however, i do have tons of 7% smfc's, and a 40% gheeds, i think my charms give me an extra 40+7x25=190% mf, with 80% from my occy, making 270% so far. not sure what i should sacrifice for more mf. most likely i will wear a 50% war traveler, giving me 320%. any other ideas? i could p topaz or ist my shako, and my armor for an extra 48-50%mf, bringing me to 370%. would ideally like to have 400-500% mf however.

any more suggestions?

5. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I'll say it like this: if you go with Stormshield, you will have heckuva hard time reaching 117% FCR (Lightning breakpoint many aim for) without some seriously GG gear, and certainly not with full Tal's:

HotO: 40%
    Magefists/Trangs: 20%
    Vipermagi: 30%

These are a must. With this, you have 90% FCR, and thus need 27% more to achieve the breakpoint. Options:

Arach: 20%
    Griffon's: 25%
    FCR amu: 10-20%
    FCR ring: 10%

As you see, you are left with little customization options, and certainly not much MF% on this gear.

6. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

You don't need more than 300mf. Ever. The difference is very tiny and not worth it if you slow down killing even a little bit.

7. hacgumyu

hacgumyu IncGamers Member

I have the same build for pure MF. FO/CL at lvl 87

Remember there is switch weapon/shield, and the MF % only counts at the last hit on the boss. so switching to your MF weapon and shield at the last moment, before that you kill with your fastest killing FCR set..

what I have on MF set are:
    Ptopaz Shako 74%
    Enigma 87%(Base on clvl)
    chanceguard 37% (max 40%)
    War Traveler 42% (max 50%)
    Ghreed GC 39%
    7% mfsc x 10 70%
    Ali baba + 2 IST 87%(clvl based) + 60%
    4 os monarch shield 4xIST 100%

Total so far is 596%, if the monster is not strong, i even use 2 nergling rings for 60% total. just remember to switch out MF set when the boss very close to dying.

When you are killing the boss use the main weapon and shield, for me they are Occulus and spirit, and SOJ+ravenfrost.

I didn't like the max block route, so I put infinity and fortitude on my Defiance Merc to be my tank and boost my defense. so far I have 1400 life 600 mana.

8. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

Some advice for future building of max block characters: keep some points in reserve so whenever you level up, you can put a few more into dex for the block. Overspending makes you have max block, but is also an unnecessary waste. 370% MF is quite nice actually, you don't really need any more, and usually that extra 100% or so will have an impact on your killing speed. 105% FCR is quite an improvement over the previous bp as well, so aim for that, even if it costs some MF gear. (once you've tried a higher bp, its hard to drop back down to slower ones :))