Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How does "aggro" work in Diablo 2

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Chromesto, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Chromesto

Chromesto IncGamers Member

How does "aggro" work in Diablo 2

When I played Eastern Sun mod of Diablo 2 I made a tank barbarian who had the only purpose to take beating and keep all the monsters on him so my team mates could kill monsters without the need to avoid them. I learned back then that the Light Radius modifier was the most important matter to make monsters attack me instead of my mercenary or someone else. After I got gear that had a lot of Light Radius (capped) it seemed to work pretty well.

However in LoD I'm not really sure how aggroing (how the monsters decide who to attack) works. I haven't really played around with Light Radius but I doubt that it's much different than in the Eastern Sun mod.

I didn't really think about this much before but today I realized that at least the Sanctuary Aura seems to aggro the Uber-Diablo and Uber-Baal easily making them run after my BO-Barbarian always when I swapped my weapons from dual warcries sticks to a Lawbringer with lvl 18 Sanctuary. After I swap my weapons back my friend (the usual smiter paladin) gets the aggro back immediately and the bosses just forget that I still do exist.

The bosses also did react differently to my Sanctuary. As I already told Diablo and Baal attacked me immediately when I turned it on. Baal usually kept teleporting next to me while I ran away and Diablo just ran straight to me. However Mephisto didn't seem to care about it most of the time but he did some random ranged attacks on me (but still staying on my friend most of the time) when I put Sanctuary on. Without it I don't think he changed his target from my friend to me at all so it still seemed to give a bit of aggro towards me. (This might be just an issue of AI as I could imagine that Mephisto has different kind of AI because he normally doesn't really try to get into melee range.

I'm wondering if someone has experimented on this matter and in what order different things generate aggro and how different kind of monsters could be controlled to attack a specific character even if there is someone else closer. Naturally another matter is if one would be able to use this information in his benefit in creating a tank character (probably some kind of damage reduction monster with huge life, massive defence, high resistances and max block).

To give something to start with I'd guess that all the auras that directly do damage or harm to the foes generate a lot of aggro and the Light Radius has a small effect as well (so a paladin might make a great tank). The aggro doesn't last long though and the mobs seem to reset it (like thinking again who to attack) every now and then.

Any thoughts? :scratchchin:

2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Re: How does "aggro" work in Diablo 2

Best tanking class would be PDR /sorber barbarian.

3. Chromesto

Why is it the best? Does it attract all the monsters from miles away or is the aggroing part similar with the other classes/setups but he is the easiest to make to be able to take a heck load of punishment? I'm not really wondering the damage output he will get but just the easiness of keeping the monsters off from others while surviving that.

Especially the aggro part is of interest since I'm not sure how it works (and the opposite of that I'm aware of the most of damage reduction things).

4. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

If you just want to distract the monsters and act as a tank for the boss, use dual Dreams ;)

The radius is decent and you have a bunch of nice mods on there like confuse curse, resists, and FHR. Put on a Chains of Honor armor for added protection or Enigma if you like the teleport skill.

Taunt is great too. You can position those totem things around the ranged attackers in your party as well, for added protection.

5. Chromesto

Does taunt overwrite other curses or do other curses overwrite it? It would be nice to be able to hold them well while the others can use their abilities like amplify damage, life tap, lower resist or something else that is good for them. Another problem with those things is that I suppose some of them don't work on boss monsters (Taunt for example?) and usually they are the sturdiest ones that make up the biggest threat for weak characters.

It's not like I'm planning on creating a character for it (meh, more wise to just make a killing machine and actually kill things before they can harm others) but I'm just interested how this stuff works. For example if I notice that my friend is in the trouble in the Tristram I can switch to my Lawbringer and hold the bosses so he has time to pull himself together. Now that I know that it might save our run one day -> it's useful to know this. :)

(A bit of offtopic there but we realized quite soon that Howl is a nice skill to use in Tristram so we have more room to maneuver with the bosses and it's easier to pick up the torch. It doesn't qualify to tanking in my books though as it is very annoying to try to kill the bad guys that try to run away.)

Some other uses for knowledge how this stuff works out for me would be how to make normal Diablo to not attack my strafer amazon or how to make Lilith stay on my friend's smiter intead of targeting my mercenary if he gets too close to her.

6. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

Attract can't be overwritten by other curses, if you didn't already know that. It's another great way to distract monsters.

Bosses attack the players closest to them. Or Valkyrie...or shadow master...etc (not 100% sure though, on decoy)

Telestomp your merc on them and walk away while they engage with the merc....

7. Chromesto

Didn't know that Attract thing. I however have different experience on the other thing you said as I've done quite a few of Diablo runs with my strafer. I can with all comfort say that Diablo ignores my Valkyrie and Decoy. Unless I move really far away (like entirely off screen) Diablo ignores my mercenary too. Due to my low resistances it was a problem until I figured out to move right next to him so the lightning breath doesn't hit me. The physical hits were a bit of a problem but usually I can take them. I'd want him to concentrate on my Valkyrie but haven't figured out how to do it. (Though I haven't experimented much with my gear to get around this.)

Normal monsters and normal bosses do not cause this kind of problem. I don't have teleport but usually it's enough to place a decoy between me and the monster pack and take a few steps back. When Decoy goes down mercenary (a2 might btw) and Valkyrie are usually already between me and the monsters so I'm covered.

8. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

I hate to bring up WoW, but it has such a clear mechanic how aggro works that i wonder why noone ever found out how it works in D2. Probably has no clear mechanic.

In WoW ( for those who dont know ) you generate thread with everything you do. Healing, damage, using extra high thread tank abilities etc, and the mpob always atacks the guy with most thread.

But from what i have seen, it does not realy work that way in D2...

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's why wall of fire and blade barrier work so nicely on D&D online.

Monster AI will still be subject to red herrings, decoys, feints etc.

10. Chromesto

Yeah it's clear that there is no such system in Diablo 2 but there still is some kind of algorithm that takes care of the behaviour of the monsters.

Distance obviously has huge impact on it as the bosses in Tristram always stick with my friend after he engages them and I'm just standing "nearby" throwing Howls around to keep all the minions away. However when I put Lawbringer in my hand and stay in the same screen as the bosses, they forget my friend and attack me. -> There is some kind of mechanic for choosing targets.

11. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

KILL THEM BEFORE THEY TOUCH YOU.
    That is how we did it 14 years ago, and it has worked pretty well so far!

12. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Yeah, coming in with a WoW mindset is not going to serve you well in Diablo. Its not a Holy Trinity RPG (ie, tanker-nuker-healer). Offense rules in aRPGs.

Generally, especially in party play, you dont need a dedicated tanker, you just need one decent melee class that can take a little heat (usually a merc or summon will suffice for this) and then lots of "nukers"

Aggro isnt really a concern because monsters usually do die before they get a chance to close to melee range, when you're fully equipped and endgame with a decent build. You can generally get by with the rule of thumb that monsters will aggro whoever steps into their "activation range" first.

And, generally, you're usually better served to debuff enemies than to try and draw all their aggro to a dedicated tank. Mods like Hit Slows Enemies, CtC Decrep on Striking, cold damage, Holy Freeze, Hit Blinds Target (Dim Vision), Hit Causes Monster to Flee (Terror/Howl), and Knockback on ranged weapons work extraordinarily well for stunning/slowing/keeping monsters away.