Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How does Absorb & Resistance work together?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Fuzzier, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Fuzzier

    Fuzzier IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Messages:
    82
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    33
    How does Absorb & Resistance work together?

    Arreat Summit says Absorb #% is "roughly equivalent to 2x#% Resistance", and is "not bound by the resistance cap".
    So,
    1. 80% res + 20% abs = 120% res = heal me 20%?
    2. or 80% res + 20% abs = 80% + (1-80%)x(1-2x20%) res = 92% res?
    3. or 80% res + 20% abs = 2x20% + 80%x(1-2x20%)) res = **% res?

    What about Absorb specific amount (like T-God belt)? Will it heal me?
     
  2. munchkins

    munchkins IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Messages:
    221
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    102
    i think it works like this.... say 100 cold dmg was done to you, with 80 res and 20 sorb

    resist removes 80% of the 100, leaving 20 damage... 20 % is absorbed (4, which adds to you hp, and the rest of them 16 damge happens, so you lose in effect 12 hp)

    so that leaves you at the equivelent of **% res
     
  3. PhatTrumpet

    PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Messages:
    4,569
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    255
    munchkins' numbers look correct. It's only "roughly equivalent" if you have 0% resists, so just ignore that ridiculous generalization.

    Absorb gets factored in after resistances, which get factored in after MDR, which gets factored in after EShield. So the "order of operations" for fire, cold, and lightning damage is:

    1. EShield
    2. MDR
    3. Resists
    4. Absorb

    %absorb is capped at 40%, so %absorb can never heal you. (You'd need greater than 50% absorb to be healed.)

    Straight absorb, such as TGod's, can heal you if the damage after EShield, MDR, and resists is less than twice the amount of absorb you have (which in this case would mean 40 lightning damage).
     
  4. MageChick

    MageChick IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Messages:
    817
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    165
    Just to add in that you also loose the life, then the absorb kicks in and heals you.

    In the above example, you actually loose 20 life, then are healed by 4 points.

    Someone stop if I'm wrong here - just going off memory which isn't always that good.
     
  5. Silent Shaddow

    Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1,443
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    346
    sounds right, ive killed some smart *^& barbs b4 with my trapper by using vemon and then trapping them although i now realised i should have used mb..
    -silent
     
  6. PhatTrumpet

    PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Messages:
    4,569
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    255
    You lose 16, then gain 4 back, just as he described.
     
  7. kuafu

    kuafu IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2005
    Messages:
    1,639
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Pretty sure you gain 4 life first, and then lose 16, which means if you start with max health, you'll lose 16 after the attack.
    @OP: you can read more about resistance and reduction in this sticky.
     
  8. PhatTrumpet

    PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Messages:
    4,569
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    255
    I seem to remember that being the case, now that you mention it... link confirms.
     

Share This Page