How do you think the passive skills will be handled?

theeliminator

Re: How do you think the passive skills will be handled?

Uh, I don't think you understand what passives are. Passives USUALLY not tied to specific skills, but rather, to character-wide behaviors, or sometimes a large GROUP of skills.
Explain half of D2s barbs combat mastery then? It may not be for skills but they are passives that are dedicated a small group of items.

Also there are other games that have passives it's not just the diablo seres. Take boarderlands their passives dedicated passives.

Heck, you said it yourself "USUALLY" meaning not always. There are more ways to handle passives then just "this passive effects all your skills this way"

I challenge you to come up with a way that a 'use the skill to make it better' type of system that isn't absolutely terrible, ending up requiring you to game the system to be successful. It's really a bad concept for skill progression in RPGs.
I will come back to you on this, will need time to think.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Explain half of D2s barbs combat mastery then? It may not be for skills but they are passives that are dedicated a small group of items.

Also there are other games that have passives it's not just the diablo seres. Take boarderlands their passives dedicated passives.

Heck, you said it yourself "USUALLY" meaning not always. There are more ways to handle passives then just "this passive effects all your skills this way"
The thing is, that I believe that passives in Diablo 3 will be like the passives in WoW's talent trees.

Some will be skill specific. Some will affect many skills. Some will affect character properties and stats. Some will be reactive. Some will add special procs on particular actions. There's a great variety.

Tying them to be 1 active skill = 1 particular passive skill as you suggested is SEVERELY limiting to the variety of passives they can make, and the number of builds you can choose. You're cutting back the number of skill build possibilities by a HUGE factor.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

the barbs passive skills were due to lack of creativity.

fmulder

Site Contributor

I think the Lab upgrades in Starcraft 2's single player campaign will work here:

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/wiki/Research

At each tier you choose one upgrade which will lock out the other.

My example for the WD:

Tier1 1
+ 10% minions health OR
+ 10% minions damage

Tier 2
+ 10% spell damage OR
+ 10% curse duration

And so on. Thoughts?

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

I would much rather see it done in a pool or widely-branching tree, for maximum flexibility. If there's 20 passives per character, if you organize it like SC research, there's only 2^10 = 1024 different combinations, before you even consider if some skills just arent' as good as others.

If you have 20 passives for character, and you can pick so many of them (say, 7, like actives), you have 20 choose 7 = 77,520 possible combinations. And this is before you consider differing levels of investment into each skill, and the fact that they might not limit you to 7 passives, like they did with actives. Basically, flexibility is better here. Allows for more and varied builds.

Also, this research way doesn't allow for more specific passives that enhance particular skills or cause skill-related procs, because you can't guarantee that any all characters will have the skills that they affect.

theeliminator

The thing is, that I believe that passives in Diablo 3 will be like the passives in WoW's talent trees.

Some will be skill specific. Some will affect many skills. Some will affect character properties and stats. Some will be reactive. Some will add special procs on particular actions. There's a great variety.

Tying them to be 1 active skill = 1 particular passive skill as you suggested is SEVERELY limiting to the variety of passives they can make, and the number of builds you can choose. You're cutting back the number of skill build possibilities by a HUGE factor.
And you know what? I agree with you. I feel that passives in D3 will kind of be like passives from WoW. (at least how they are in WoW now before the big change to the skill trees come the next expantion)

I was really just trying to think of something that hadn't been brought up yet.

Could they make passives like I suggested? Maybe, skills could have synergy passives. Like I said it's just a thought.

I think the Lab upgrades in Starcraft 2's single player campaign will work here:

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/wiki/Research

At each tier you choose one upgrade which will lock out the other.

My example for the WD:

Tier1 1
+ 10% minions health OR
+ 10% minions damage

Tier 2
+ 10% spell damage OR
+ 10% curse duration

And so on. Thoughts?
Could be something they could do. But those kinds of passives to me are a little boring

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

do the rest of you want only passive skills that increase modifiers like damage, attack speed, health% of minions, or increased durations on spells

and let the skill runes change how the skills work?

i think that would lead to pretty boring passive skills myself.

i would prefer if it was a mix with pure modifier changing passives and passives that open up new options to your character.

like for example a passive that add a chance to knock the target prone

or one that you have a chance to do an counter attack against an attack.

heck it could be that if you attacked an monster before it was aware of you you had a much higher critical chance.

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

No, I pretty much want the interesting passives. Some of my favorite Wizard skills from the early reveal were Magic Impact (+spell damage based on weapon damage) and that arcane tree passive that had arcane damage reduce enemy armor (or was it resists).

Leave flat statistical boosts on equipments, plz.