How do you think the passive skills will be handled?

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How do you think the passive skills will be handled?

I have the feeling that D3 passives will work something like the passives in the talent trees from WoW. Some of these passives are boring, but some are really interesting. You may see some design something like this. Though, of course,modified to fit D3's style of play.

Here is a cross post from the official forums that I wrote a bit ago.

WoW actually has some very interesting and noticable passives. Some are really boring. Like the rogue's 'Lethality', which just gives a flat +crit rating.

But some are very interesting. Let me dig some up for you.

Mage:

"Hot Streak" - Any time you score 2 spell criticals in a row using [any fire spell], your next Pyroblast spell is instant-cast, within the next 10 seconds. (This is a big deal; pyroblast is the most powerful spell in a fire mage's arsenal. Long cast-time, high payoff)

"Missile Barrage" - Gives a chance that certain spells will proc a Missile Barrage effect, which makes your next Arcane Missiles spell channel and fire missiles twice as fast.

Rogue:

"Blade Twisting" - Enhances the damage of certain combat-related skills, and causes all damaging melee attacks to have a chance to Daze (a slow effect) the target for 4 seconds.

Warrior:

"Flurry" - Increase your attack speed by [x]% for the next 3 attacks after you hit with a melee critical strike.

"Damage Shield" - Whenever you block a melee attack, you deal damage equal to [x]% of your block value.

This is just a small sampling out of things I remembered from WoW. I think it's pretty clear that passives have a LOT more that can be going on with them than 'just stats', and are also more interesting than manual statistics, by far.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

agreed nekora, some of the wow passives were really interesting and should be mixed with the basic stat boost passives also. give players a variety of options and let them further customize their characters.

of course you realize if this happens its a bad thing cause its in wow and will cause lots of crying?

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

agreed nekora, some of the wow passives were really interesting and should be mixed with the basic stat boost passives also. give players a variety of options and let them further customize their characters.

of course you realize if this happens its a bad thing cause its in wow and will cause lots of crying?
I am officially in favor of any decision that will cause grief for the people who froth at the mouth every time D3 lifts a good game mechanic out of WoW.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

wow itself =:yuck:

useful and interesting parts taken from wow and remade to fit into the diablo universe= :scratchchin::thumbsup:

just because some of us here hate wow dont mean we are so shortsighted that we dont think anything good can come out of that themepark.

theeliminator

wow itself =:yuck:

useful and interesting parts taken from wow and remade to fit into the diablo universe= :scratchchin::thumbsup:

just because some of us here hate wow dont mean we are so shortsighted that we dont think anything good can come out of that themepark.
Yeah just take funnal cake, it comes from a themepark but its great :crazyeyes:

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

looks like a more messy version of våfflor to me:

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Swedish is so funny sometimes.

There's so many words that are similar to English, but not quite.

våfflor=waffle

Regardless, you're a bit off, lone_wolf. Funnel cake batter is probably...pretty similar to waffle batter. They're both chemically leavened and pretty doughy when cooked. But funnel cake is literally poured through a funnel into hot oil and fried to cook it. While a waffle is cooked in a waffle iron.

As we all know, deep-frying things makes them delicious and terrible for you.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

wow was a really fun game that made mmo games not so tedious. the speed on combat and ability to "keep moving" was a breathe of fresh air in the genre. many things in wow can and should be used in many other games. i think most people who do not like wow fall into 2 catagories. 1. they dont really play mmo games or 2. they actually never gave it a chance, possibly never playing it once. i also think it has become the "cool thing" to bash wow, kinda how everyone outside of new york hates the yankees or everyone hates the red sox. its easy to hate the top dog

i also wonder how come no one ever says wow took such and such from diablo? many things in there started with d2 so why is it a one way street

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly, Apoc. I think that's exactly what's going on.

WoW was, and still is, very good as far as pure MMORPGs go. I think anyone who has a genuine problem with WoW has a genuine problem with ALL pure MMORPGs!

I fall under this category, really. I have a real love/hate relationship with them. On one hand, they really get under my skin to what makes me tick in games, and I can sperg out all over them. I like that. On the other hand...they go TOO far in that, and abuse my tendency to obsess over things, and when things get too grindy and time consuming for me, I get tired of it and quit.

The burgeoning genre of action-MMOs holds a lot more interest for me. My theory is that the unnanounced next-gen MMO game that BLizzard is working on is going to be an Action-MMO. I hope so. It would certainly make sense for them. If Blizzard can beat the other big players to the market here, they stand to stay in MMO dominance for another 5 or 6 years.

theeliminator

I look at it more like the hate something that a lot of other people like. Take music, some people hate lady gaga just cause she is popular. (just as a side note I am not a fan of lady gaga but i don't hate her either)

Other people would most likely fall into the category of they didn't like the one MMO they played (didn't even have to be WoW) and labeled all MMO's as bad.

O and this is what a Funnel cake is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Good point, theeliminator.

I wonder how many of the diehard D2 fans won't like D3 because it's 'too popular'. That's a common thing that happens in music. You always hear people who don't like bands after they get popular because all of a sudden it's popular so it's not 'cool' to them anymore.

It's such crap.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

The burgeoning genre of action-MMOs holds a lot more interest for me. My theory is that the unnanounced next-gen MMO game that BLizzard is working on is going to be an Action-MMO. I hope so. It would certainly make sense for them. If Blizzard can beat the other big players to the market here, they stand to stay in MMO dominance for another 5 or 6 years.

this would make perfect sense for them. if they have 2 mmo that are roughly the same then they are just going against themselves, but if the new mmo is an action mmo then they can have 2 markets all to themselves. i keep waiting for a proper fpsmmo game something i thought planetside was but as it turns out i was very wrong

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Apocalypse,

If you're looking for an FPS-MMO, Global Agenda is as close as you currently get. It kinda works like a Team Fortress 2 MMO. It's pretty fun, though it does have its warts. Give it a look if you haven't heard of it.

Sorry for the off-topicness.

Highlen

Diabloii.Net Member

Good point, theeliminator.

I wonder how many of the diehard D2 fans won't like D3 because it's 'too popular'. That's a common thing that happens in music. You always hear people who don't like bands after they get popular because all of a sudden it's popular so it's not 'cool' to them anymore.

It's such crap.
It's there right to feel that way.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

It's there right to feel that way.
Of course it is. Never argued it wasn't. It's still really dumb.

Fortunately, everyone has a right to be stupid if they wanna be. My value judgment does not, and should not affect their right to believe anything.

Drytchnath

Diabloii.Net Member

On the topic of passives I believe they may very well be quest rewards, level-up bonuses or what not. I also have this nagging hunch that they will all interact with resources somehow.

An example of what I'm thinking would be something like the Barb's passive (from the wiki) Frenzy skill increasing attack speed when activated but lowering crit% by a set amount, the faster the frenzy gets the bigger the crit% reduction. Maybe other passives impede Fury generation in exchange for benefits like +max HP, chance to stun, etc.

For the Wizard passives could "reserve" a set amount of arcane power. An example would be the Mighty Impact passive requiring a set amount of 10 Arcane Power to be set aside to maintain it, lowering your effective max AP to, say, 90 instead of 100. When you feel you don't need the extra 10% crit damage boost when fighting trash mobs then deactivate it.

Witch Doctors could have their mana regen affected and Monks...well I have no idea what to say about the Monk's resource system. There's also the chance that this idea will be totally debunked by whatever resource system the 5th class will use. Guess we have to wait until Blizzcon to find out.

Thoughts?

theeliminator

If you activate it, its not a passive skill.

I just thought of something. What if they have the passive skills acquired by using a skill to kill a mob. So the more you use Cleave the better your passive skill becomes.

With runestones every skill could be an attack skill.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

I just thought of something. What if they have the passive skills acquired by using a skill to kill a mob. So the more you use Cleave the better your passive skill becomes.
Urgh no, please.

First, this takes away flexibility in passive choice. Okay, so you get Cleave as your active? Here's your passive then; you don't get to pick. Why force us into particular active/passive pairs. Just let you pick your own passives.

Second, Any system which has the 'use skills to make them better' theme is inherently crappy. It forces you to game the system and takes away tactical choice in combat for the sake of spamming a particular skill to level up your passive. It's inherently broken, and you MUST play the game's broken system to make a decent character this way. Ever play The Elder Scrolls? Then you'll know exactly what I mean. If you wanted to min/max your character, you had to game the system in RIDICULOUS fashion.

theeliminator

Most of the time aren't you forced in to a particular active/passive pair anyways. The passive does the same thing no matter what. I.E. a passive skill for fireball will always be a passive skill for fireball, its not like you can change what skill that passive benefits.

That is unless they change how passives work. What if you can buy/obtain them then attach them to any skill, but then its sounding to much like runestones.

The problem with Elder Scroll was the skill was crap unless you lvled it up. If your putting points into the skill (like in Diablo 3)to make it better you never have to fear about it being underpowerd.

There is ways to make it work better then it was used in the past. Besides it's just a thought that passed in to my head.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Most of the time aren't you forced in to a particular active/passive pair anyways. The passive does the same thing no matter what. I.E. a passive skill for fireball will always be a passive skill for fireball, its not like you can change what skill that passive benefits.

That is unless they change how passives work. What if you can buy/obtain them then attach them to any skill, but then its sounding to much like runestones.
Uh, I don't think you understand what passives are. Passives USUALLY not tied to specific skills, but rather, to character-wide behaviors, or sometimes a large GROUP of skills.

You don't have 'a passive for each active skill that makes it better', like you seem to be implaying. Passives may not even effect any skill.

So forcing us into active/passive pairs would be BAD for flexibility.

The problem with Elder Scroll was the skill was crap unless you lvled it up. If your putting points into the skill (like in Diablo 3)to make it better you never have to fear about it being underpowerd.

There is ways to make it work better then it was used in the past. Besides it's just a thought that passed in to my head.
I challenge you to come up with a way that a 'use the skill to make it better' type of system that isn't absolutely terrible, ending up requiring you to game the system to be successful. It's really a bad concept for skill progression in RPGs.