Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do you teleport? (meph runs)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by oreowned, Oct 23, 2006.

1. oreowned

oreowned IncGamers Member

How do you teleport? (meph runs)

I just started playing d2 again, and I have a 78 meteorb which I am starting to do meph runs with now.

I was wondering if the more experienced sorceresses had tricks pertaining to finding durance lvl 3. I know that sometimes I can tell right when I get in a map where lvl 3 is likely to be, and I make a much faster run.

I tried following the mephisto maps, but apparently they were taken down, so this discussion would probably be the best place for information regarding tricks of the trade of teleporting... at least I am hoping :)

Usually I figure out where I am on the map, then go along the top or left from the wp. If i find lvl 1 then I tp back to town and go the opposite way from the wp. Any other ideas would be appreciated! :)

2. papajustify

papajustify IncGamers Member

I always, after going into durance 2wp teleport left along the wall, it seems to always get me there quicker, so keep trying that.
    I think overall from what i heard and read in the past that is the best route.
    To speed things up a little, (not sure what gear u use) but if you have the space, put a wizspike and a good spirit shield on switch for teleporting, 85fcr, will definately help get around faster, and a merc with an insight polearm so mana isn't a concern.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I didn't like bringing my merc when I was running meph at low levels. (he doesn't work well when doing the moat trick and he died a lot if I tried to let him tank meph directly)

Hitting 105% FCR really helps for teleing. But your go left, then go clockwise idea is the way I remember it.

4. Lowgat

Lowgat IncGamers Member

FWIW people who've analyzed maps in the strategy section argue the best route to take running (not teleporting) is to counter-clockwise from the waypoint (keep your left shoulder against a wall and turn whenever you come to an opening). When I'm bored with pit/A5 SU runs I've run my IK barb enough to know that they're right and you usually come to the down stairs before you get to the up stairs.

When teleporting I find the exit from the wp room (usually there's only one), teleport that direction all the way to the edge of the map, and then go counter-clockwise along the edge of the map. Seems to be the quickest route.

5. MageChick

Now that you mention it - I'm sure your right; Counter-clockwise, not clockwise.

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

its counter clockwise along the walls and soon you will know the layout of different map parts and will not pitfall into any deadends anymore but teleport more effeciently. There was a site with maplayouts of the durance lvls, but it does not work anymore :/

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

My crib sheets says "turn left from the direction you are facing". I have some files on my hard drive with pictures of the map layouts with lines drawn on to show directions. Is that what you mean Mel?

8. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

How do I teleport? With 105% FCR, 86% FHR and Prayer/Insight merc to patch up any scratches I get on the way there :). Also infinite mana and being almost immune to mana burn is nice. Try to avoid the monsters if you can, especially the dolls. It's very annoying to see your life drop to half in 1 hit when your merc pops a doll in your face. I'm glad I have the Insight life healing there so I rarely have to use potions.

I follow the left wall around too. I try to look for similar features where the door might be. It's usually at the end of a long hall on the right side of the map facing SW/NE, or in one of those "C" shaped rooms on the left side of the map:
    __o__
    | __|
    | :
    | :_
    |____|

where o is the door. Sorry about the dodgy ASCII art.

Sometimes it's in a room with raised section just in front of the stairs down too, with the entrance to the room being on the NW side. You'll find it eventually. I still have runs where I reveal the whole map before finding the stairs, and the stairs are right near the waypoint too, only the opposite way I teleported...

9. MageChick

Don't you hate it when the door is not on the exterior wall - takes me forever to find those (yea its generally right by the wp when that happens too - very frustrating)

10. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Exactly! :D

To add to what magechick said. I always scan the close proximity of the lvl entrance for the exit. THis can save alot of time and does not really take that much extra time.

11. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Eilo hits the key point here. The "door" to Durance 3 will ALWAYS only appear in one of (I think it's...) 3 "configurations" of the different room sections; the same idea applies when looking for the "door" to Durance 1 (except it's always part of a different set of "shapes"). After a while, you will begin to recognize the "shapes" of the rooms and which ones will have it and which one's won't. That way, you're able to skip over sections you know WILL NOT ever possibly have the Durance 3 door on it. It's hard to describe exactly what these shapes are, but you will recognize them in time. And yeah...for teleporting, FCR and an Insight mercenary is the key to success. Faster cast = more teleporting = less time. I hope this helps, sorry if i reitterated (spelling?) anything that's already been said several times before. Like I said, if there's one thing to learn, it's recognizing that the potential spawn-points for Durance 3's door will always be the same (and ditto for Durance 1). Remember which "rooms" correspond to which "doors" and you will save yourself a LOT of time...

12. MageChick

It all comes down to memorization and pattern recognition. The same goes for WSK 2 & 3, catacombs, halls of vaught, etc. The only one I'm not good at yet is the countesses tower. I don't think there's any pattern for Arcane either.

13. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules IncGamers Member

Ya I tele with my Blizz sorc and its either always to the left and a little towrds the top or right next to the wp. I can't count how many times ive banged my head on the wall after serching all of the map and then going next to the wp and then see it apper on my map. O and i HIGHLY suggest making a blizz sorc thats stuck in act 3 useing full tals to run this guy. Shes WAY WAY faster at killing him then a Meteorb is. I can kill the guy in like 7 blizzerds, and thats with out casting iceblast. O and Magechick buy and lifetap charged wand ad use it on him. Your merc will be able to tank him all day if you use that. But make sure to switch out his insight for something with lots of damage. Unless your insight does 400+ damage, then dont bother.

14. MageChick

well, my merc just stands in front of him and laughs - but I'm sure that's good advice. Straight blizzard is pretty nice, and it's still good lower levels and with lousy gear. I probably shouldn't try to compare low level (cheap gear) blizzard sorcs to a well treaked meteorb - but I will anyway :grin:

I'll have to run him again and count how many fireballs it takes me. I'm not sure, but its a lot less than the time it takes you to cast 7 blizzards (that's over 12 seconds). In the same amount of time I can cast almost 40 fireballs. It only takes about half of that though. (of course if I'm not carefull, my merc will take him down solo - can be a pain when I'm rushing someone and they delay in taking my tp)

Full tal's is great though isn't it. Glad to see people using it with their blizzard sorcs too.

15. oreowned

oreowned IncGamers Member

so I've been running him... here is what I have been doing.

I tele to each side of the wp to check for certain types that might be the lvl 3 by it. If there is not, I ALWAYS go clockwise and it has been working MUCH better than counter clockwise. 34 of 39 trips tonight going clockwise I have hit lvl 3 before lvl 1 going clockwise.

I've got a few nice drops, and it's much easier sinced I found vipermagi and eldrich orb for fcr. I also got a +2 sorc skills +12 all resist coronet, natures peace, the balrog skin, a few nice weapons, a couple ammys, and a +5/-4 poison ammy :D

Anyhow, I kill meph extremely fast -- I tp in , static til 1/2, then like 6-7 orbs and he is dead. the meteor is mainly for when I can't use orb, since orb is so much better ;p