Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do you play Diabl

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Feb 22, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I recentely bought a new laptop with Win 10, and like everybody else, it is a hassle to play D2.

This thread is not "plz help me D.", but rather a bank of sucessful methods playing D2 on newer machines.

I use Glidewrapper on version 1.13c, which works perfecly, but is a pain when doing short mf runs, because of the alphabet thingy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

This thread might give a few hints regarding the alphabet thing when using the Glide wrapper (the Aero style thingy might cause problems), even though it's about Vista and not 10.

3. Darkthrone

Darkthrone Diabloii.Net Member

I'm running it on Linux via WINE and ironically it runs better than it ever did on Windows.

4. NamelessPenguin

@krischan Thank you for the hint.

@Darkthrone Running it on another OS sounds like the only viable no-hassle way to do it.

Anyone else?

5. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

I run in it Win 7 using Sven's wrapper. Admin/compatibility mode, and I have to disable a lot of the options for the wrapper, or I experience weird blackscreen bugs and a memory leak that crashes the game every 30-50 save and exits or so. One of these days I'll get motivated to try using a virtual machine of some sort. Or start dual booting again.

6. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

i run 1.14d. no wrappers in admin mode with compatibility for windows xp sp 2 (not 3) disable the dpi corrections as well.

edit: i run on windows 10 :)

7. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I run in Windows 10, no wrappers or anything like that. I just run it as normal :/

ILikeRocks likes this.
  8. NamelessPenguin

Ok, for kicks and giggles, I updated to 1.14b, to see if it's more compatible with Win10. I don't have to use Glidewrapper now, I can just add "-w -nofixaspect", but the graphics are horrible! Like a tiny image being stretched all over the screen. Maybe this is normal? It just seems that the videos I see on YouTube have much better graphics than mine...For example the torches in the town are all pixely, clearly made of tiny squares.

Blizzard always seems to impress me with the pain they inflict on their customers. Played StarCraft 2, and got nothing but trouble If I wanted to play Off-Line (for times when I don't have internet access)

EDIT: Funny, the attached picture actually has pretty good graphics.

Attached Files:

9. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, that's fairly normal. A lot of people do avoid it, however, by using a scaling feature of some sort of wrapper or graphics driver, or playing in the standard resolution. Not maintaining the aspect ratio, will also exacerbate the issue.

10. NamelessPenguin

Ok, so I spent hours on YouTube trying to find a solution to my graphic problem, and found something called MultiRes. It allows you to use many screen resolutions. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be the best solution for optimal graphics in fullscreen (or fuller) mode.

@Espr Do you play with the small window, or is it fullscreen? And does it recite the alphabet?
    I think the settings on my wrapper are off, since there is no difference in graphics with or without it. only difference is the alphabet thing.

Coming of a 7 year hiatus is more difficult than I thought...

11. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

MultiRes, isn't that the one where you get to see a larger portion of the map than you are supposed to? Because that one isn't allowed iirc, because you get to see enemies who won't even react to you, as they are outside of your radius in the vanilla game. Maybe I'm mistaking with something else though.

12. NamelessPenguin

Yes, that is the one. I am not playing online nor trading, so I have to do what works best for my machine. But that sure sucks..I hoped if you didn't use too high of a setting, the bug would not be present.

13. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

Here's my enabled settings:

Code:
    Window Mode (and -w in shortcut)
    Captured Mouse
    Keep Aspect Ratio
    VSYNC
    1280x960 static size
    Remember Position

108MB Texture Memory
    4096x4096 buffer-texture-size
    texture for videos
    shader-gamma

GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    GL_EXT-shared_texture_palette

WGL_EXT_swap_control

These options make the picture much sharper, but for me they introduced screen flicker, display bugs, and/or a memory leak:

Code:
    super sampling
    GL_EXT_vertex_array
    GL_ATI_fragment_shader
    WGL_ARB_render_texture

I've used those options in the past on different computers without issue. I've not experienced the alphabet bug.

One alternative to sven's wrapper is dgVoodoo 2, which is more of a glide1-3/DX6-8 emulator in general. It will in general run much more smoothly, use less cpu and memory, but it's scaling options aren't great, and the mouse issues are more present than in sven's. The workaround to this is they allow you to use GPU scaling instead, which won't have, in theory, as much mouse issues, and will have in-built aliasing to smooth out the giant pixels. The problem, atm, is that it's very iffy it'll work at all with AMD cards. But Nvidia cards will generally have an option to override application settings and force the use of the GPU scaling. It also requires a digital display (DVI-D / hdmi). Cursor capture only seems to work in fullscreen mode (regardless of whether or not cursor capture is enabled), and introduced some weird mouse boundaries when playing in windowed mode.

DDwrapper can be used to fix psychedelic colours in ddraw mode, but doesn't have any scaling. Both dgVoodoo2 and nglide are fine for using 3dfx most especially when not doing any scaling. I mention this in specific in case one can use an older monitor that can handle lower resolutions without looking terrible.

There is also the option of trying to get ddraw or d3d working reasonably well without any wrapper involved, and then using GPU scaling to play in fullscreen mode without weird stretching. This is likely easier to do care of 1.14's compatibility changes; again, so long as one is using a digital display.

14. Me2NiK

Me2NiK Diabloii.Net Member

I have this exact problem. Do you know what setting it is that you disabled?

15. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

Disabling one of these four options did it:

Code:
    super sampling
    GL_EXT_vertex_array
    GL_ATI_fragment_shader
    WGL_ARB_render_texture

16. NamelessPenguin

@Espr Thank you for that info! I had no idea that you needed to adjust the settings on the wrapper.

17. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Speaking of glide wrapper settings, I wonder can someone answer me this: I want to play with higher resolution (like say 1280x960), but when I do that, then lower half is cutoff, aka I don't see potions in belt and only partially see life and mana bulbs. My resolution settings are higher, so that should not be a problem, but then can't figure out why this cutoff is present. Basically that means I'm forced to play in smaller 800x600 window or get used to that cutoff.

I'm basically playing in window mode since I can't figure out why game doesn't wanna even start when I try to play in full screen. At best by trying various things I got black screen and game not starting. Kinda gave up on solving that problem.

18. NamelessPenguin

@Espr I set the Glider up the way you described, and it works like a charm! But, are you using 1.14d? Because the older Glider versions don't have that many setting options, or am I mistaking?

19. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

I've never noticed game version making a difference to the options available in the wrapper, but I play 1.00, 1.07, and 1.13 in any case.