How do you organise your Diablo II data?

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice thread, here how I manage my stashes and inventory:

* Inventory
Screenshot006.jpg
Usually it's 3-4 GCs and 4-5 SCs, occasionally I may use 2 LCs instead of a GC.

* In game stash
Screenshot007.jpg
Crafting resources, gems, jewels, runes, in the lower half, useful items in the upper half.

* Naming stashes
Untitled.jpg

* Metadata on chars
Stats tables, char planning excel, my 1000 cow runs project, tournament progress

* Build plans
Usually I look for some builds/guides that look like something similar to what I have in mind then I try to make it work with some adjustments (I don’t have all the gear / want to build around some interesting items etc)

* Naming Chars
Almost all the names were taken from 'HoMM 4' game and very few from mythology or fantasy books.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
@mir Do you find it annoying to have your rune stashes all over the place and out of order due to the sort order being alphabetical? Ever thought of prefixing them with 'Rune XX - ', like:
  • Rune 01 - El
  • Rune 02 - Eld
  • Rune 33 - Zod

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
@mir Do you find it annoying to have your rune stashes all over the place and out of order due to the sort order being alphabetical? Ever thought of prefixing them with 'Rune XX - ', like:
  • Rune 01 - El
  • Rune 02 - Eld
  • Rune 33 - Zod
Good idea! I usually organize long lists with numbers first or the way you suggested, in this case I probably forgot to do it and got used to how it looks now :). I will probably do it during the next big stash cleaning/reorganization.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
I noticed you used the prefix method with your 'Ele charms - Fire' etc. so I knew you already were doing this method to some extent.

lunaz

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I have too many stashes (split projects softcore/hardcore):
rares/uniques 1 per slot, 1h,2h
sets each one by name so far
runes
gems
pgems
jewels
wirtslegs
socket items
runewords

These are all in gomule stashes. Can I combine the stashes a bit better somehow?

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice thread!

Gomule - I have all these specific stashes, like gems and runes and weapons and helms, and I kind of don't even like that setup anymore. More often than not now, i'm just dumping everything into my temporary "DUMP" stash and sorting it out like once a week. And then when I want to find something I usually just go to "all" anyways, so it sort of looks like this organization was mostly wasted time for me.

Stash - I just do whatever fits. It's usually going to get muled off to gomule anyways. Except in the case of my untwinked 99er, I have a full equipment kit for body recovery. Only difference being that I have no body recovery gloves in order to have a bit more space (I think it's 2x8) in the stash for whatever use.

Inventory - On my finished characters I've been trying out different things. For a character who does high psetting, big mob killing runs, I can't get away from 2x4 space AND the cube. I've tried otherwise but nothing else is comfortable. I run with this setup on my untwinked 99er even. On my pitzerker I have found I'm fine with cube-only, since he picks up so much less, and isn't really taking hits (because howl is OP) while slowly placing an item in the cube.

Screenshots - I don't really organize them. When there get to be a couple of hundred, I name a folder to the current date and plop them all in there, just in case I want to dig one up later. I do keep track of big events or posts though with my terribly organized, huge...

D2 Spreadsheet - I track everything in spreadsheets. D2 is no exception. This thing is in desperate need of cleaning up, and has 17 sheets currently. It started out as a list of planned builds and some general notes and grew from there. Notably, I have a "log" sheet where I have been summarizing what I did in d2 for each month and including links to the forum where I posted any of these results.

Character Naming - I like to read fantasy books (I know a lot of others around here do as well), and I decided all my character names have to be a name from a fantasy book or series I liked. I've compiled a little database of them in my spreadsheet.

I also keep track of my socket quests (availability and what I used them on).

lunaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Well did some reorganizing & combined all rare/set/unique/magic items into 1 stash, tried renaming a stash from charms.d2x to CHARMS.d2x & lost all 2 of them :(

My setup is now:

charms
fp-gems
gemmed-sockets
jewels
magics
open-sockets
rares
rejuvs
runes
runewords
sets
uniques

after moving all the items around i right clicked on each empty .d2x file in gomule then hit Remove from Project
after that i deleted all the unused .d2x files from my gomule folder

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh oh yes I see what you mean when you say you wasted some time making those categories...on my side, I'm more or less doing like everyone here, only create some dedicated stashed for tournaments or big running sessions on target areas, that I tidy afterwards when things are over.

My personal gaming data handling of interest to share (i think) is more or less the rune and runewords stories and character presentations, in My babies thread.

Posting my rune drops in that thread for example allows me to keep links clean, I made it after the archiving of 2018's IFT, that broke most of my links at that time. Also I try to keep LK runs statistics there...Well, in the end I think it's not as messy as I think I'm explaining right now! But like my trade thread, it has been a lot of rework to be somehow satisfied/functional, I have to make it also on GoMule...someday!

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
Gomule - Right now I have 4 projects: SC, HC, Tournament, and 1 dedicated to my untwinked 99er. I generally throw everything into a catch-all "Stash.d2x," the exception being any untwinked characters get their own stash (named after their character) that hold all their finds. Haven't run into any issues with throwing everything into one pot thanks to the ease of selecting categories and the search function. It's probably more time-saving for me to do it this way that it would be if I made separate stashes for different types of items.

Stash - If it's going to stay on the character, it goes in the top of the stash. Flawless gems waiting to be upgraded go in the bottom rows. Everything else, wherever I can put it.

Inventory - Most of my characters keep the horadric cube in the lower right corner of the stash. High-level running characters (I only have 3 currently) will run with the cube if their inventory gets down to 3x4 or 2x4 after charms. I've always filled my inventory screen from left to right.

Screenshots - I keep a folder for each character, and about every week or so I move screenshots there and rename them (i.e. Trina001, Trina002, etc) Haven't been able to get a bulk rename tool to work, so I just end up slow double-clicking to rename, using ctrl+v, and typing in the last 2 digits.

D2 Metadata - I don't have any spreadsheets that I use, apart from the MFO spreadsheet @Luhkoh posted. I may decide to use Deathdealer's old grail table for certain characters. I have a lot of Notepad files with various stuff like builds I want to try, a list of my current characters and their builds, XP info for my 99er.

Character Naming - Back when I wanted to be a writer I bought a copy of Writer's Digest's Character-Naming Sourcebook. It has male-female names sorted by culture. I usually open to a random page and pick a name that I like.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
Great idea for a thread! You know you're in too deep when you spend time organizing your video game metadata :D

Gomule
- A lot of people seem to keep all of their items in one stash. When I open my 'all' stash I get a huge lag if I look for things with the search function, sometimes it's over 5 seconds. Does that only happen to me? (For reference, this happens for me at about 10,4k items)
That's why I basically split up my stuff into around 15 stashes so that no one stash becomes too big for GoMule to efficiently search in (For example my 'runes' stash has close to 1,9k items and I've not yet experiencing any lag ). On top of those I have three stashes I use for throwing stuff in during runs and separate stashes for MFO/RFL which I sort into the other 'specialized' stashes after the runs/tournament is over.
I also have a separate stash for regular jewels and crafting jewels, I feel like this is the only way to prevent me from accidentally crafting with a 'once in a lifetime' jewel. The stash for my trash jewels is fittingly named 'crafting' :)

Stash - I seriously have no organization here. No body recovery kits, no nothing... During questing I dump large items in the stash so I don't have to mule them off and can continue playing. Later I use it as a buffer between GoMule and Diablo 2 to make up for the fact that I can't mule onto a character while it is opened in D2.

Inventory - It's all bound to the right so I don't have to move the mouse to far to pick stuff up and put them in the inventory/cube. My favorite layout for runs is as few charms as possible, especially for Travincal this is very beneficial as I can just pick up 1 square items without opening the inventory at all.
For LK I keep my inventory empty, buy 10 keys and fill out the the bottom row with them. My thought process is that any item in the middle two rows merely prevents GCs from being picked and could as well be in the bottom/top row. (If you like to pick up 4x? items during LK runs this is probably not the layout for you :p)

Screenshots - I gave up on those. Now I just make a new folder everytime I have a batch of screenshots...

D2 Metadata - I pretty much have too many spreadsheets as it stands, however a few of them actually help me keep my D2 stuff in order so it's all worthwile. I do the same as @Luhkoh and keep track of all my characters and their imbues/sockets/else. I might have 'overrushed' when I restarted though...
chars.png
Without this I would have already lost track completely. When a character is going to roll a map I check in my spreadsheet and let them burn their imbues/sockets and potentially a respecc so I don't lose out on them if I roll the perfect map for something.

Naming - I hope I won't be in charge of naming my future children. What options do you have in life if you are called lk_iv? :D
In earnest I went from nonsensical stuff like 'turnip_phrase', 'moo_point' to practical 'lk_i-iv' to tv and movie references (for example I named my UT99er sorceress after a phrase used in this clip from 'Comedians in Cars getting Coffee')

On the topic of spreadsheets: I once found a sweet grail spreadsheet on reddit in which you could mark what items you have with an x and it would count them. I liked it so much that I reformatted it twice, but it is lost to me now... I kinda remade it with just TC81-87 so I could keep track of the most important grailers. (in the old one I made a separate sheet just for TC3 and TC78-87. I really miss it :()

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@art_vandelay great stuff! I love the rushed characters screen. You've got a LOT! I get lag on "all" as well and i like your stash arrangement in gomule in general. I may just copy it if i get to where in not too lazy to reorganize :) As to body recovery kits, I think you should change that after lvl 96 on your ut99er's :p but otherwise I agree no big deal.

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
My catch-all stash on my 99er no longer instantly loads with 3k+ items. Looks like it might be time for some sorted mini-stashes.