Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how do you get your character ready for hell?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by stefan, Oct 7, 2010.

1. stefan

stefan Diabloii.Net Member

how do you get your character ready for hell?

i have just beaten baal at nightmare, but my druid gets owned in hell
    my equipment sucks, etc.
    how do you get stuff to get ready for hell?

2. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

Re: how do you get your character ready for hell?

Run NM Mephy for gear. He can generate a lot of good stuff.

3. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Run NM cows for gems and bases for runewords.
    Run NM Crypt/Mausoleum for Grand Charms with the best chance to get +15 All Resistances, alt. cube ilvl 35 (to about 40ish) GCs with the 3 Pgems recipe.
    Run NM Meph as long as OH GOD NO NOT THIS THING AGAIN I'M SO BLOODY SICK OF IT.
    Run NM Countess for runes, alt. LK chests (meh) or NM Baal runs for stuff in general - the latter being a wee bit more of a challenge and entertaining, though much less time-efficient in terms of gear per hour invested than Meph.
    Nickle-and-dime your way to Hell Countess for some serious runewording.
    Run NM Halls of Anguish/Pain/Vaught for runeword bases (best source for Matriarchal Bows and Blade Bows).

What it really boils down to is building up an item base to pull gear from when you're setting up a serious summit attempt - knowing that with every character you'll find gear that's not suitable for him/her, but very good for your next character.

4. stefan

thx for awnsers so far, btw what are LK chests?

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Diabloii.Net Member

What level are you starting Hell at? If you're starting Hell straight after you've beaten NM Baal that's your problem. NM Baal runs can serve you many more levels on a plate.

6. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Lower Kurast

search this forum for "lower kurast chest" and a thread should pop up about it (mostly Hell relevant, but good in NM if you're poor and need cash or gems or random stuff).

7. liquid_mage

liquid_mage Diabloii.Net Member

I like to run NM Trav, NM Meph, NM Chaos, and Shenk/Eldritch. I did this until level 70 with about 100mf. This has netted me many Amn, Dol, Sol, Hel runes, 1 Fal, 1 Lem, 1 Pul rune each, a cold skills/life gc, String of Ears, Titans Revenge, Goldstrike Arch, and a Viscerant, Dwarf Star, etc... Just on the new sorc I started.

Also don't be afraid to gamble for gloves, boots, belts with high resists. I also cube my rings up for ammys. Hoping for a good resists or skill ammy. But I typically vendor my ammys for gold, to gamble.

I do this until 70-75 before i go to hell mode, especially untwinked.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I generally switch out part of my MF gear for resists- and +life gear. I want fire and lightning resists at least in the 40s, cold resist above 0, and at least 900 life. I use ATMA as extended stash, so my characters usually have a lot of items I´ve picked up along the journey. I mix and match my gear for survivability, and sometimes burn a socket reward or two to improve favourite pieces of equipment (stuff I think will last the rest of the game).

If I am still hurting for resists, I often burn a bunch of perfect gems to reroll Grand Charms (I use the big ones because one lucky roll can get a big result (up to 30% single element, or 15% to all)).

I also take down the players setting from /p8 to /p3 (/p1 for weak characters).

I start Hell at clvl 74-75 - without having done any runs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  9. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

might want to look into some Blood or Hitpower crafted gear - be aware that you might have to do about ten sets of a recipe before you get something good, and a melee druid might want the higher base defense from Exceptional versions of that recipe.

google is your friend if you don't know what this is

10. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I'll reiterate what a number of the others have said, equipment and clvl. I usually don't start Hell until at least lvl 75. Fast leveling can be done by running NM Baal, but that's only if you have the equipment to do so. Running the three superuniques at the Frigid Highlands TP, Shenk and the two what's their names, can build up experience fairly quickly too, especially if there is an XP shrine in the mix.

11. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Someone just mentioned in the "Stupid Diablo 2 tricks" thread that you could reroll maps (by switching difficulty level) until you had an Act 1 map with a few shrines nearby - then it's just matter of Save/Exit-ing until one of those shrines is an Experience shrine, then portal to WSK or Frigid Highlands or whatever.

It's an unfortunate reality that this game is balanced around B.net and people being able to xp-leech and trade with a huge number of fellow players. While I understand this approach (without which the game wouldn't have been half as successful) it leads the SP crowd hurting a bit and having to jump through hoops like muling programs and runeword mods just to make some progress.

/rant off

I usually manage to hit hell around 70-72, but then my no-shields philosophy leaves me with an inventory FULL of resists-charms and using things like "Smoke" runeword on both player character and merc.

TWO whatstheirnames? Is there another one besides the frog-looking guy right next to the TP?

Also, jiansonz knows what he's talking about with the p8-p3 issues - I constantly adjust the players setting depending on area level, found here:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level

and whether I'm looking for Xp or loot and how dangerous it is for my merc to get mobbed on a higher players' setting. When things die quickly there's less chance of having trouble, but there's a sweetspot depending on how fast you move through quests and whatnot, for me that's usually p5, down to p3 if there's trouble.

12. TheNix

In the earlier patches, 1.09 and before, Threshsocket use to guard the first set of barb prisoners in the FH, but Threshy was moved out and a lower level SU was put in his (her?) place. A good map can have you running the three in no time, with reasonable XP.

NM Pindle isn't too bad either, but, if you can run it, NM Baal is best.

13. jiansonz

Yeah, that´s right, they switched places.

I didn´t know good old Sharptooth Slayer is lower level than Thresh Socket in the current version. I knew he was in 1.09. In that version, Thresh Socket and Pindleskin were two of only 9 monsters in the whole game that could drop from the fabled TC 90. Snapchip Shatter, Frozenstein, and Baal´s five 'wave bosses' were the others.

14. stefan

thx all for the advises and tips
    i find pretty nice stuff(even found an 100l 2wc ammy)
    but i got a question
    what belt should i use, bladebuckle, razortail or crafted 17fhr, 2ll, 7 ow belt?

to bad i havent found any good shaper pelt yet :(

15. TheNix

I just assumed the Sharptooth was lower than Threshy. If you were going to neuter Threshy any way, why would you bother swapping them?

@stefan - sorry for the little sidetrack.

16. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

How I get my chars ready for hell is level in nightmare baal runs till they have a high enugh level to equip all the items that are waiting for them in the stash.

That is of course only moderatly helpful in your case.

Take all the other tips about building up a item base. Specialy look for the cheaper runewords, there are some realy powerful ones out there, oath comes to mind for a melee char. And pay nightmare mephisto ( for items ) or Baal ( items + XP ) as many visits as you can without turning insane.

17. jiansonz

Sorry about the OT, but I think this is interesting.

I always thought the motivation for moving Thresh was to get the more dangerous monster to a 'cooler' place. You know, guarding the entrance to Crystalline Passage. It ensured that all players (even those that don´t do full clears) will meet Thresh.

I checked out their levels. Thresh Socket is level 41/63/84 and Sharptooth Slayer is 39/62/84. So they are the same on Hell difficulty, and both can drop from TC 87 (if the wiki is correct).

If people want to run Thresh, it shouldn´t be hard to roll a map where the AP waypoint is placed past the last 'defense line'.

18. Swamigoon

Swamigoon Diabloii.Net Member

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread: Level up your mercenary or hire a new one before embarking on hell difficulty, and make sure he has decent gear as well.

I downloaded an "LoD areal level chart" document (can't remember where, I think I found it on archive.org). It shows, for example, that hell difficult blood moor has an "alvl" of 67. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong?), that means that any uniques and champions there can be level 69, so for best results I'd like my mercenary to be at least level 70 so that he or she is likely to land at least as many hits on the monsters than he or she receives from them. In my experience, that makes a big difference, and cuts down a bit on the resurrection frequency and associated costs.

19. jiansonz

Correct for Champions. Bosses and their minions are level 70.

20. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

meanwhile, back in the ON TOPIC world - we would need a bit more info on your build, available gear and such.

if you're playing a melee druid I recommend hitting up the druid forums, reading through their stickied builds and also the http://home.comcast.net/~thedragoon/werewolf/skills.html website, which may be a bit out of date but still very good

The SPF stickies also have build guides for most classes, though some of the links may take a bit figuring out since they lead to the old Strategy Compendium.

For non-melee druid it's the same deal, minus that website. Basically you want to be able to hit ~70 resists in all elements if you're playing Hardcore, then as much Life/Vitality to be comfortable - then and only then focus on killing power and speed.