How do you get all those items and runes guys ?

CasualGamer

Diabloii.Net Member
How do you get all those items and runes guys ?

I played the game a couple of times got bored of it, restarted again after a year... and still got bored

I visited this forum to get some advice, and read a lot of thing like : at this place use the <insert super uber unique item here> or you could use <another super uber unique item here> socketed with a <name bad*** rune here>

Reality is I never ever found items frequentely mentionned in this forum. I printed some time ago the list of rune words and I could only do most basic ones.. and I played single player hardcore with a barb (died level 75 because I was bored, took way to much time to kill monsters) and necromancer (died level 72).

Considering I've done hell difficulty until act the end of act 2, my highest rune was io if I remember well and still got tons of el rune, 2-3 exceptionnal set items and 2-3 exceptionnal uniques and thats all. (of course plenty of rare items)

At this point of the game, I could'nt craft nor upgrade that much items, runes and eeven perfect gems were not always available.

So anyway, what's the ttrick ? I''d like to know, cause my only motivation is to get those uber items, and still having fun to play, without killing the same boss a trillion times.

Last edited:

Head Jumper

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How do you get all those items and runes guys ?

Hi CasualGamer ;)

You see, there are some popular spots for gathering useful stuff. For most unique/set items it is mephisto (nightmare/hell), so usually, people go there with some magic find character (read: sorceress) and gather nice items for their future builds. Later on..

About runes, well, if you play legit (i.e without duping, hacking etc.), especially in Single player, you just can't find Ber or Ohm every day under the single rock. There are some way of getting higher runes, like Hell forge drop (Act IV quest), which leads to HF rushing (...), you can always try your luck at LK (Lower Kurast special chest drops), you can run countess..

Major point is: You can have fun even without those uber uber items. There are very nice and cookie-cutter (easy-going) builds out there, try some of them, gain access to better items, and after that, it will be much easier.

There's always a SPTF (Trade forum), and you can get a lot of stuff there for not-that-great-amount of pgems (perfect gems).

Oh, and, as usual: read/ask/search for help. ;)

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay! :welcome:

Are

Diabloii.Net Member

So anyway, what's the ttrick ? I''d like to know, cause my only motivation is to get those uber items, and still having fun to play, without killing the same boss a trillion times.
I'm afraid spending a lot of time doing just that is pretty much the only way to get all those items and runes. You won't get that many of the good items without putting in the time.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

Jiansonz has an excellent guide in the FAQ-sticky-thread (Early Game Magic Finding, or something like that) that helps you start building wealth right as you start playing a character.

But the reality is, Are is correct - repeated runs and lots of time invested are by far the most reliable method to accumulating "wealth".

If you haven't tried boss runs, you might want to try it. I thought at first that it would be boring and repetitive, but I realized it starts off as a nice challenge (bosses can definitely be tough without good equipment), and then once I started to find a good item here and there, I started to like the runs.

Also, if you haven't downloaded ATMA or GoMule (stickied thread at the top of the forum), you might want to check those out. They can really help you keep track of the decent items you find, and allow you to use them (for example, in Single Player most barbarians don't have much use for an Occulus if they find one, but ATMA/GoMule can enable you to easily transfer that to a sorc).

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

If you play HC only, and find doing relatively safe boss runs (Andy and countess in NM comes to mind) boring, then you'll have somewhat of a challenge finding the rare, and even semi-rare items. However, having a read through Jiansonz' guide, and playing a character that doesn't rely on items very much (best example being skellie/CE necro) *might* do the trick.

However, around 3/4 of the items you'll find, you'll think "damn, that would have been nice 15 levels ago" or "jeez, I'd be so happy now if I was playing that other character class" so using ATMA (or GoMule, which I haven't tried myself) to just store them until you feel like trying another character is a good idea. (You don't HAVE to use the items you store, if you feel like a cheater doing it, but it's nice to have the option).

I know, I know, most of what I said has been said before :D

iomanip

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm, in my opinion the reason why people keep coming back to this game is the thrill (read trip) you get from finding S/U items/runes. Every single soul on these forums (maybe dedicated PvP players are an exempt) have a weakness for addiction i think. I doubt there are many (if any) that still plays just because the game experience is so great. It's all about the nesting...

Furthermore, playing untwinked (i.e. no items to start with/muled on) and trying to maximize you mf at all times (preferably in SC) and simply finish the game is a great way to find great items. Maybe not extremely rare ones, but enough to be able to beat the game. Finally, i have numerous characters on the SC ladder (Europe) with the kind of items you describe, Zealot with Grief/Fortitude/Cta, hammerdin with Enigma/HoTo/Cta, sorceress with CoH/Griffons/Infinity and a Strafer with faith/Fortitude/Pride as well as numerous CtAs, Enigmas and heaps of HRs lying around, and let me tell you, it's no fun playing if you have nothing left to achieve. I'll totally satisfied with the ladder reset. I'm not going to play on Bnet anymore anyway.

peace!

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member

As Are said. The chance of a high level unique dropping from anything is abysmally small. If you want a bit more variety, you can run several areas a trillion times, like the Pits (Act1 hell), the Ancient Tunnels (Act2 Hell) and the Worldstone Keep (Act5 Hell). It requires a lot of patience to do it, but as the wealth gained by the runs increases, the time needed decreases.

I can absolutely assure you that you will find an extremely small number of elite set and uniques without rerunning an area or boss. If you want something approaching the full set of items (the grail), you'll have to rerun in an efficient manner, and still spend years to do it.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

A lot depends on your playstyle. If you enjoy playing through more than running, then keep following the guides from post #5. You won't get as much as by running, but it will be more enjoyable for you.

If you're happy to run. Then that is the most effective way. For items; Memphy is a nice target; drops lots, Pindle has nice items but is tight, I've got a new respect for the AT and not that hard to do. Baal is good but it's xp over quantity with him. For runes; Hell forge rushing and LK running are supposedly good, although I don't think I've found anything over Gul from LK.

Have a look at the last MFO (Magic Find Olympics). It covered five areas (WSK, Baal/Minions, Act 5 SU, Area level 85, Memphy. Here were my results. I ran with 200MF at most and a lot less than that most of the time.

Running is effective but dull. You can easily pick up starter gear from giveaways to get yourself on the path to MFing. But if you prefer playing to running ... accept the fact you aren't as likely to trip over a Lo and a Mang Songs.

CasualGamer

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks guys,

I knew there was some kind of trick..and I don't have that much time to sink on this game..

I read the first guide, it seems good.
Maybe i'll try playing at p8, does it changes something for rune/item drops ??
i was always playing 'the normal way' at p1.

But if you keep your magic find stuff all the time, what's the deal about finding great items if you can't even use them ??

And I don't see a barb with full MF gear on he'll die quickly, especially in NM-Hell.

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member

As mentioned, stick with item-independent chars. Nightfish has listed quite a few, the popular being Summon Necro, LF/FA amazon, Two-handed Berserk Barbarian, TS/DS Assasin. A Meteorb Sorceress is quite doable untwinked (more than Blizzballer). I cant come up with a Druid or Paladin build, but I have been told that Hammerdins are safe, if slow, untwinked. Every now and then, good items will come your way while questing, and the joy of finding it will be greater than when you run a boss.

Poppis

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks guys,

I knew there was some kind of trick..and I don't have that much time to sink on this game..

I read the first guide, it seems good.
Maybe i'll try playing at p8, does it changes something for rune/item drops ??
i was always playing 'the normal way' at p1.

But if you keep your magic find stuff all the time, what's the deal about finding great items if you can't even use them ??

And I don't see a barb with full MF gear on he'll die quickly, especially in NM-Hell.
Definately go with /players8. You should see quite an improvement in drops if you'r used to only /players1.

Most people have a character or two who are dedicated to mfing, so they will use mf gear on them, and if they find good items, they transfer it to ATMA(or similar program) and then use it for their other(non-mf) chars.

Also, barb might not be the best mf character around. I'd rather go for sorc or fishy.

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

Definately go with /players8. You should see quite an improvement in drops if you'r used to only /players1.
I suggest for the original poster not going higher than players 5. As it sounds that like me he gets bored easily. :D

Personally I play a lot, but I'm very very poor, largely because I don't do any of this stuff like running bosses and hell pits. So this is kind of a do what I say, not what I do, post.

Most importantly I tend not to play in hell. The vast majority of my time is spent in normal (I like to try out lots of different whacky character ideas), and the drops there suck. Even the good drops (sets and uniques) suck.

I highly recommend _not_ doing the whole scrounging/low level MF thing as it reads as being extremely boring, and even if you had 1 million MF running around in normal isn't going to get you decent gear. Windforces don't drop in normal. Neither do decent runes.

In order to HF (hellforge) rush, you need a really good rushing character, which you may notice is a bit of a chicken and egg problem... like much MF advice you have to have good gear to get MF without sucking the resists, but without MF how do you get the good gear?

I believe the answer is to play primarily in Hell. Not only does this mean that higher runes can (theoretically) drop, but also the good stuff is potentially quite good.

So you need builds that are _fun_ to play in Hell. And that is going to be a personal decision. I highly recommend two _really_ cheap runewords:

Edge, and Insight. Edge works beautifully with any minion based build by giving your team a high level Thorns, which makes Nightmare a breeze, and Hell doable. Edge + Decoy for instance is hilarious.

Insight is the ultimate mana battery, and you can give it to a prayer merc for bonus life regen. Most builds these days neglect energy and mana, because if you have high end gear mana won't be a problem. But if you don't have high end gear, there are a lot of builds (especially the cookie cutters) which will struggle with mana.

Then even with some of the 'recommended' gear, some of the 'cookie cutter' builds will still struggle in Hell. I remember back when I played online, having a Tesladin (zeal + holy shock) with a Crescent Moon phase blade, allow me to quote from the Tesladin guide:

In my opinion, the best Tesladin weapon is a Crescent moon phase blade. For that built it’s next to none. It is fast, provides - 35 % to enemy lighting resistance, ITD, and has a % to cast static field on striking.
This is all true (but note it was written in 2004 so there might be better high end rune words now), and this Tesladin was without doubt my fastest Nightmare Baal killer, he killed Baal obscenely quickly. However, I couldn't even get through all of Act 1 Hell with him. The Jail/Catacombs just had his number.

I'd happily use that character to run nightmare Baal, in order to get gear to give to other characters who would play in Hell difficulty.

Another example is a Hammerdin, I've had lots of hardcore Hammerdins die in the Arcane Sanctuary... in normal. For some reason I just seem to run out of mana fighting the goatmen in there, and then they kill me. But allegedly Hammerdins are really powerful later in the game. No problems with monster resists is a good thing I understand.

Another magic damage based character is the Bone necro. You slap down a bunch of prisons, and then bone spear everything to death from complete safety. But I get bored playing that character because it is too safe.

I've also never been able to get a Meteorber going, because I find the build enormously boring, and tedious getting to level 30. It is like an Enchantress (it is hard slog getting to level 18, and you still suck once you get there), only more so.

Sadly the skills I like most, like Hydra and Wake of Fire, aren't powerful in 1.10. But if the original poster can find a build with skills he likes and is willing to play for a decent length of time in Hell, that is how to start to get rich.

CasualGamer

Diabloii.Net Member

Rickarson, I thougth the same way too..(about reaching Hell fidd. to get items) and by the time I got there I realized two things:

- Killing monsters in hell is signifiacntly slower. Money is spend only for regenerating dead merc.

- Item drops are really not good in hell. Elite items drops are rare. And when they drop (either magical or rare) their attributes sucks, and my nigthmare gear is better. Rune drops are basically the same than NM.

All of these factors were really killing the fun I had to play.
Maybe it's just about having a good build on your char, I don't know.

isan

Diabloii.Net Member

CasualGamer, it is an ordinary thing if you feel that killing things is much harder in Hell difficulty even on player 1. Do not feel discourage because of it, just keep collecting items and improve your gear step by step, then your build will be more powerful in time. As an example, I was able to self-found Tal-Rasha Set after around several months of play, and after that I can MF and Rune-finding very effectively with my sorceress. Before that, I just made item-independent build and collected items from NM Andariel --> NM Pindleskin --> Hell Andariel --> Hell Pindleskin.

In my experience, Hell Mephisto is the source that increase my items a lot (from 30% to 80% of set/uniques for me) and a lot of them are very useful too, so sooner or later you need to MF in Hell difficulty. However, I can only dare to seriously MF Hell Mephisto after I completed the Tal-Rasha Set for my Blizzballer and Meteorber.

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member

@CasualGamer:

In my opinion, you'll have get the most enjoyment out of a character that you like to play, which will eventually lead to getting items that either help out that character (I remember my first Skin of the Vipermagi) or others that need good gear to be effective (I use ATMA almost every day, even without loading D2).

My personal favorite is the Fishymancer (linked above), as the hack and slash type characters tend to bore me a bit and I think they will eventually give me carpal tunnel. With the Fishy all your minions do the dirty work while you curse in the background (not actual swearing - except when you do find that first great item).

One other goal that has kept my interest is the "Grail". The goal here is to collect one of every set and unique in the game. There is a java-base program out there called Flavie (I think it was created by Randall). This will read the ATMA files and D2 files and compile them into an html document showing what you have accumulated (and what you still need).