How do you find new books to read?

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
How do you find new books to read?

I usually find something interesting in the book review section of either the Economist or New Scientist.

I'm currently looking at reading Inside the Wire: A Military Intelligence Soldier's Eyewitness Account of Life at Guantanamo by Erik Saar (Viveca Novak). Unfortunately, Amazon's reader reviews are still disappointing; very few seem to be level-headed about a topic, and those that are don't appear to have any personal experience to determine if the author is reliable or not.

Keldaris

Diabloii.Net Member
complain to an author friend of mine....she'll either give me her newest works to proofread, or suggest whatever she just finished reading.

kmk-soldier

Diabloii.Net Member
looking at book stores
ebay (cheap books for sale there)
internet, searching for some authors and look for their books, mostly for sale
ask friends ~~

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
Gosh, I get ideas for books from all over the place. Just everyday things I am exposed to.

To try and make a list would be futile.

Freemason

Banned
I wait with baited anticipation of the next book by my favorite authors. Then get annoyed that I spent too much on beer and left not enough for books.

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
I mostly just wander through the bookstore and look around. Whatever catches my eye, I'll check out. I also read book suggested to me by others.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Talking with friends usually works fine. With a network large enough, you'll always find new books as long as your friends do the same :)

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
I too get new books suggested by my friends. In fact, that's pretty much my only source for new books. Sure I see some interesting books on TV or online once in a while, but since it takes me a while to get through books I get what my friends suggest. Not only are the books recommended by them good reads, but then I have someone to talk about it with after I'm done reading it.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, back in the old days, when I was living in Karachi, Pakistan, there wasn't much to do besides read, play video games and watch bad pirated copies of recent movies. Most people got into sci-fi/fantasy and I always had my friends recommend certain books to me and vice versa. That's how I got turned on to Dune,Sword of Truth series, Wheel of Time etc.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
I'm constantly picking through the stacks at our local library and there is a used bookstore not far from me that I just love digging around in. I'm also in a book club and a friend of mine owns a bookstore.

I'm never left wanting for reading material. :thumbsup:

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
in the library mostly i guess although i don't read books that someone hasn't reccomended or i don't think they are interesting.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Ask on this forum.
2. Peruse the bookstore.
3. Get recommendations from friends
4. Be forced to read one for a class

I've actually read some decent books for class. I really liked Native Son by Richard Wright. It's about the struggle of man against society, but deals heavily with race too.

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
What my English teacher gives me to read. I don't have the time to read my own things...I have three to read this summer in English, one in French, plus sections of a German textbook and some map work for European History. Luckily, I did one book in a day, and the map work I can do with my eyes shut. But some of that other reading is heavy.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
I wait with baited anticipation of the next book by my favorite authors. Then get annoyed that I spent too much on beer and left not enough for books.
So you're saying that most of your reading material is beer labels?

I look at recommendations from people I know (blogs, a friend who's a top 500 Amazon reviewer), look at "people who bought this book also ordered . . ." info on Amazon, and wander around Tokyo looking at new and used bookstores to see what's there to be read.

Nword

Banned
Hmmm.... The stuff that I read is just what I find on the bookshelves in the fantasy/sci fi section of the library.

Then there are all the "good books" that I see mentioned in the news. I have no clue where my library keeps the newer stuff :uhhuh:

With the school year, I rarely make it to the library anyways. I spend most of my time reading magazines (mostly scientific/gaming), the newspaper, slashdot, and of course, the forums.

I feel rather up to date on the current world happenings.

Keldaris

Diabloii.Net Member
I forgot to mention the fact that I work in a library, and steal all the new sci-fi/fantasy books that get delivered on wednesday nights...the first chance at the new stuff is about the only benifit of working there.