Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do you decide which build?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by IntellectSucks, May 2, 2008.

1. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

How do you decide which build?

When making a char, how do you decide how you want to build it? Do you follow a guide? Do you ask questions? Do you build it as you go? Do you outline your char yourself before starting?

Though I have used build guides and FAQs to help me with the some general build strategies and gameplay tips, I mostly just started whatever character appealed to me at the time and played it as I went. Results: a pretty good summonancer, a lightning/blizzard hybrid, a spearazon all pretty good builds. A wolf/summoning hybrid druid, a martial arts assassin with tiger strike and phoenix strike as primary attacks and a combo bowazon(freezing arrow)/javazon(jab); all builds that hit the dreaded wall in Hell difficulty beyond which no crappy build may pass. I NEVER get rushed and mostly walk my way through the game (skip some parts if I can on Normal and Nightmare) and so I have a lot of time to really get used to the gameplay strategies of the new build. Though I've made a couple of embarrassingly bad chars (TIGER STRIKE?!? I REALLY THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD SKILL?!?!?), mostly all my chars have been able to make it to Matriarch/Patriarch with minimal outside help.

2. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Re: How do you decide which build?

I base all of my characters off of guides. Mostly because despite having played this game since its creation, I don't bother myself with all the games small mechanics that some people can go into, with guides. Such as IAS calculations and block rates and what not, I just enjoy playing the game, but I do like my chars to be top notch.

So yea..guides for me :)

And yes..I have been drinking :O

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I read a guide before building. Then I tweak it for my own needs. As for gear, I gather all, or at least most of it, before building my char; I don't like wasting stat points.

4. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Read, determine what I like or don't like, get all the gear, then create the character.
    Like Tri said, I don't like wasting stat or skill points.

5. Mauz

Mauz IncGamers Member

I have only started getting away from the guides and trying new builds but most of my charaters are based on guides.

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I've made so many characters it's pretty evident how best to do what I want to do. I mostly made the more odd characters, like FA zons.

7. BoD Trader

BoD Trader IncGamers Member

I make characters out of personal experience and what skills that interest me. I never follow guides :D. Leap Attack Barbarian FTW

8. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

:grin::dizzy:

My most successful characters have obviously been based on guides, but I use a combination of all four of the things that you listed. I'm also interested in trying a build that seems unlikely to work. Not something that clearly can't work (no skills!), just some skill combo that seems unlikely. Here's a hairbrained plan: a pure cleric pally that only does damage with the merc. All skills are geared towards buffing/healing the merc.

9. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

I only build the ones that can compete. For instance, light sorcs and hammers can compete. It needs to be fast and able to clear all the areas without problems. Otherwise I get annoyed and press delete ).

10. cour de mal

cour de mal IncGamers Member

Right now, I choose builds based on whether I can easily play with 1 hand and half a brain. I do most of my playing at night while rocking my 3 month old son and trying to get him to stay asleep. Mostly I go for things I don't have to aim, Strafeazon's, CL/Blizz Sorc, Summonancer, etc. That and I don't like melee combat, too much chasing for my tastes. As far as guides go I use them, but I don't think I have ever followed one exactly as is.