Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do the Crusader's laws differ from the Monk's Mantras?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Apendecto, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Apendecto

Apendecto Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not surprised that a Paladin like character is the new guy on the block but I am surprised that we get a repeat of the Paladin's auras.

Even though it's early in the development, they look like the laws buff the same realm of abilities as the monk-damage dealing, damage receiving and speed boost. Granted, these aren't the same one for one but I really hope they work much differently then the Monk/Paladin. Do we have any information on the laws?

Then again, maybe anything to encourage group play is good-even if it's a carbon copy of another skill.

2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer Diabloii.Net Member

If I'm reading the translation of the skills posted earlier correctly, Laws sound somewhat like a combination of Auras and Mantras. You get a passive effect, which I presume is always active as long as the skill is equipped a la D2 Auras, but there's also a fixed duration active buff which you have to cast. I think that's how they work. I hope so, anyway.

Laws of Valor
    Cooldown 30 seconds
    Passive: When you make a critical hit, you and your allies do more damage for a while.
    Active: Increases the damage of the cross and its allies while Laws of Valor is active.

Laws of Fate
    Cooldown 30 seconds
    Passive: When you avoid a sudden, you and your allies are faster for a while.
    Active: Increases the speed of the cross and its allies while Laws of Fate is active.

Laws of Justice
    Cooldown 30 seconds
    Requires a shield
    Passive: When you block a shot, you and your allies cash in less damage for a while.
    Active: Increases how the cross and its allies are protected while Laws of Justice is active.

Note the passive and active effects both offer the same type of buff, but the active effect is applied throughout the duration, while the passive gives you the buff for a short duration after procing. We don't know how long the active effect or the proc effects last, nor whether the buff amount is different for the active or passive version.

3. TheDestructor

TheDestructor Diabloii.Net Member

With Mantras you have to hit the button to recast and get the slight 3 second buff, Laws are activated based on certain conditions. Laws sound more appealing to me, because there isn't as much micro management.

4. Sulle

Sulle Diabloii.Net Member

In the gameplay fottage, Kevin Martens explains, that the laws of valor acts like the mantra does, and even has an activation bonus aswell(the Icon also shows for 3 secs i think), so there´s not a huge difference, but i can imagine that especially laws of fate will be pretty desirable and flexible in farming teams as you can permanently move a lot faster and even get a bonus every 30 secs.

5. Katniss

Katniss Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know this off-hand, but does anyone know if you can have more than one Mantra active at a time? If you put Mantra of Evasion and Mantra of Conviction on different buttons, can you hit both and have both buffs?

If not, maybe that's where the Laws can differ. Dunno if the Crusader wouldn't have more skills that you would want to supercede over Laws taking up space on your bar, but imagine having your three passives as the Crusader and then three laws on your bar with more passive buffs. Crusader would be the ultimate co-op character, especially with its tank nature putting it at the front of most battles as well.

6. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

You can't.

7. Greizer

Greizer Diabloii.Net Member

Enough with the 3 second buffs already... It's a tax on my head to cast these tiny buffs all the time. Take Energy Shield from D2, 1000+ seconds with a high skill level. There's a buff for you! :nod:

8. Frantic

Frantic Diabloii.Net Member

There is an aura symbol on the ground under the Crusader (much like there is under a Monk when a Mantra is active) the entire demo too - right from the beginning, before he hits any spells. So I do wonder if the Law passive bonus is there the entire time the Law is in a skill slot. It does seem weird though that there wasn't any buff icon until he hit the 3 second version though. If it does work this way, I wonder what would happen if you decided to have 2 Laws in 2 skill slots?

EDIT: In the demo, it says that the Law of Valour is a passive ability - much like the Mantras - where he gains extra damage as he does critical hits, but has an activation bonus where it does extra damage for everybody.

The wording of that suggests something entirely different to Mantras. The only relevance is that they're both passive abilities in that they do nothing other than passively buff. It suggests from that wording that it only buffs the Crusader except the activation bonus that does extra damage affects everybody.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  9. koko

koko Diabloii.Net Member

I am pretty sure they will allow only one law at a time. Dunno how it is chosen, probably hitting the skill key.

10. Apendecto

I bet you choose one, like armor or a mantra and it's "activated" but doesn't trigger until X happens.

11. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

It was not really a buff at that point, more like a passive.

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

It's largely forgotten at this point, but the Monk's Mantras were a big disappointment to most Paladin fans when D3C was released. Some of them are pretty good buffs, but none of them in D3 feel at all as powerful for party benefit as numerous Auras did in D2, where having a Paladin with Fanaticism join the game was enough to make a Bowazon's day. I hope the Crusader's Laws benefit from this issue and roll out some more party boosts that would make other players happy to see a Crusader join the game.

13. Frantic

Found this:

Laws of Justice (Cooldown: 30 seconds)
    Active: Increases armor for the Crusader and his allies, while Laws of Justice are active.
    Passive: When you block an attack, you and your allies take less damage for a short duration.
    [Requires a shield]

Laws of Valor (Cooldown: 30 seconds)
    Active: Increases the damage of the Crusader and his allies, while Laws of Valor is active.
    Passive: When you critically hit, you and your allies do more damage for a short duration.

Laws of Fate (Cooldown: 30 seconds)
    Active: Increases the speed of the Crusader and his allies, while Laws of Fate is active.
    Passive: When you dodge, you and your allies run faster for a short duration.

Source is from this thread by a person who has been compiling the information DamienJohn:
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9678948971

The actual post:
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9678948971?page=59#1175

14. Cevilo

Cevilo Diabloii.Net Member

I wish they put a IAS boost on Laws of Fate too, having abilities like that would make people want to invest points into dex and dodge chance instead of Strength and vit or GTFO. every class could benefit from it if they were strong enough.

15. Apendecto

Crazy. Good to know, Flux.

16. monitorman

monitorman Diabloii.Net Site Pal

There was also something so satisfying about pumping skill points into your auras. I remember you needed to be careful about how powerful you made a cold aura, because the radius became so large, it would alert monsters beyond the edge of the screen.

I love my monk, but I mostly just take on faith that the mantras are doing what they're saying... "enemies take more damage." ...Okay. It would sure be nice to see conviction-style auras around a trash mob.

17. HardRock

HardRock Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC there's actually a reddish glow under mobs when they are affected by Mantra of Conviction, but even during a minor skirmish it's barely noticeable.

18. Frantic

Yep. I thought it was easily noticeable though.

19. HardRock

HardRock Diabloii.Net Member

When I'm playing my monk my screen is filled with either lightning tornadoes or bells. Sometimes both. :)