Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do people do it...seriously.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lord Chaos, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

How do people do it...seriously.

How do you find all these runes?, I play almost every day, often for hours...yet I have yet to find anything above an UM rune....EVER, not even counting all the way back to when runes were first added.

How can people make all these runewords that requires BER, SUR, VEX, IST, ZOD, etc.????

And yes, I do loads of countess runs, I do the pits, I do Mephisto, etc....nothing...and heck anything about a Thul rune is *extremely* rare.

To put it into perspective...I have found many of the great uniques, most of the rarest sets...pre-ladder I had a complete collection of all Uniques in the game (that was spawning 1.09)....yet not a single rune above UM.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

2. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Best I've 'found' are IST. I've got a few decent drops from Hellforge (gul), which I don't count as finding on runs.

The reason you are seeing all these godly runes around is because of a rune dupe (GRRRRR) that occurred weeks ago.

It has certainly changed the economy of ladder trade. Everyone wants runes or runeword equip. Personally I think its annoying.

On a side note, I have all runes up to UM currently, and I've found/cubed all of em. And I only have a few hrs/evening to play....

3. Lord Chaos

Well, I didn't find anything before the runedupe either. :(

4. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

The rune craze is starting to slow down a bit i believe. Most of the duped runes have been used up in runeword equipment. I remember when the rune dupe hit people were trading runes all over the place. Now I rarely see games labeled "Zod Here" or "Enimga 4 Offer" or "Cham,Vex Zod".

AND, while i think the rune craze has slowed down the state of the rune market is still inflated a thousand times over. I believe the rune work craze won't end until the ladder reset. Whenever that may be....

5. Dev

Dev IncGamers Member

Well don't feel like you are alone. In 1.09, the highest rune I ever found was a LEM from Hell Helforge, and I am pretty certain, but before 1.10 beta came out, I bought 3 PUL runes from Charsi (someone sold them to her after a cow game to make room in their inventory). I found lots of AMN, few SOL's and fewer Shaels. Now in 1.10 I still have not found anything better than a DOL from monsters, but Helforge is a mixed blessing as good runes have droped (GUL, IST, MAL, UM) and even NM helforge can drop UM and PUL. Its not worth doing countess runs for runes because magic find and midlevel elite unques etc can net you IST-GUL-and maybe VEX. Its probably better to find Shako, Occulus, SS, and trade for the runes and CUBE Upwards (Taking GUL as a starting point, you would need 32 GUL's for that BER, and 64 GUL's for that JAH). Seems like a lot but if you were driven and really wanted that Enigma legitimately, it probably is not that hard to get after months of playing. Before that rune dupe, if you found something really rare (IK Armor or whatever, you probably could have traded it for a OHM, LO, or SUR, and that way you would be significantly closer to that BER withought having to cube midlevel runes.

Enigma, BoTD etc, I think were/are excellent ideas as the items are by far 'godly' (and as some people have put it legitimate 'Ith's') and as a result they certainly should be very rare, and nearly immpossible to get. I think cubing upwards gives everyone like me and you hope of getting that elusive rune for the runeword and subsequantly the ongoing drive to play.

If anything, I think it is the scarcity of runes and the oversupply of once rare items that has made the economy that is current. Runes were the economy before dupe, now elite items have become better commodities for trade (Shako, SS, etc) as GUL (I don't think has any runeword?) though probably more rare, is not functional.

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

There are three major methods that people use to collect desirable runes.

1.) Endless Countess runs -- has decent returns through Io or so, then just cube up to the rune that you want. I know I make it sound a lot easier than it actually is. ;)

2.) Hell-rushing people for Hellforge drops -- this is quite popular.

3.) Trading items for runes -- still fairly popular, in spite of the recent duping fest.

Of the three methods, #2 is probably the best. Just sit in BNet channels 24/7 and offer hell rushes for Hellforge drops. You'll get plenty of takers.

7. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Heres a question, I too have the same problem, not being able to get runes higher than um or pul. But all you are talkin about cubin up the runes, now as I have found, I can only cube up to Thul, wont let me cube thuls to the next rune, Is there a trick, like more than 3 thuls to upgrade? or what?

8. Dredd

You can only cube past thul if you are playing on the ladder ... or is it slightly higher, up to Hel or Io or something -- I forget. At any rate, cubing past Thul also requires a certain grade and type of gem. You can find all the new recipes here or at the Arreat Summit.

EDIT: Thanks for posting that for him, Mantrid. I was too lazy (just woke up) :D

9. mantrid_drone

mantrid_drone IncGamers Member

Sort of yes. Now you have to add a gem. These are all listed here: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml

New 1.10 rune cubing formulas:

3 Thul Runes + 1 Chipped Topaz = Amn Rune
    3 Amn Runes + 1 Chipped Amethyst = Sol Rune
    3 Sol Runes + 1 Chipped Sapphire = Shael Rune
    3 Shael Runes + 1 Chipped Ruby = Dol Rune

If you are ladder, single player, or open you can do these:

3 Dol Runes + 1 Chipped Emerald = Hel Rune
    3 Hel Runes + 1 Chipped Diamond = Io Rune
    3 Io Runes + 1 Flawed Topaz = Lum Rune
    3 Lum Runes + 1 Flawed Amethyst = Ko Rune
    3 Ko Runes + 1 Flawed Sapphire = Fal Rune
    3 Fal Runes + 1 Flawed Ruby = Lem Rune
    3 Lem Runes + 1 Flawed Emerald = Pul Rune
    2 Pul Runes + 1 Flawed Diamond = Um Rune
    2 Um Runes + 1 Topaz = Mal Rune
    2 Mal Runes + 1 Amethyst = Ist Rune
    2 Ist Runes + 1 Sapphire = Gul Rune
    2 Gul Runes + 1 Ruby = Vex Rune
    2 Vex Runes + 1 Emerald = Ohm Rune
    2 Ohm Runes + 1 Diamond = Lo Rune
    2 Lo Runes + 1 Flawless Topaz = Sur Rune
    2 Sur Runes + 1 Flawless Amethyst = Ber Rune
    2 Ber Runes + 1 Flawless Sapphire = Jah Rune
    2 Jah Runes + 1 Flawless Ruby = Cham Rune
    2 Cham Runes + 1 Flawless Emerald = Zod Rune

10. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Ohhh, thx guys, appriciate it much, now I can get rid of all those freakin Thuls I have ;)

11. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I've thought about doing the rushing thing--problem is, it takes time and how do you know the person won't just leave the game after you get to act 4? If I had to guess, I think the answer is that's what indeed happens 75% of the time in those games...

12. HoFF

HoFF IncGamers Member

People have left many times by the time I got to act 4, so I don't get Hellforge drops. It just goes to show how high quality the D2 community is. :(

13. Dredd

I'd say 75% is a little high -- but if you are willing to accept the risk, the payoff can be very nice. Besides, most people who are rushing these days demand the Hellforge drops. The theoretical dipwad who ditches one rusher at A4 is most likely to find that every other rusher who is willing to help is going to want the same thing.

14. BongRipper420

BongRipper420 IncGamers Member

I would be careful about giving random people hell rushes for their hellforge drop unless you can do them extremely quickly. Although this would seem like a good deal for both parties, 8 times out of 10 the person being rushed will simply leave the game once act3 has been completed. This is based on personal experience of mine during patch 1.10 in which I've rushed about 40 or 50 people. Basically what it boils down to is this, a hell rush consists of this:

1) Beating Andariel [takes about 1-5 minutes rushed ; about 20-30 min to find someone to do it for free]
    2) Beating Act2 including Staff, Ammy, Arcane, and Duriel [takes about 10-15 min rushed // about 2-3 hours and multiple games to find someone to do it free]
    3) Beating Trav, Meph [1-5 min rushed // about 20-30 min free]
    4) Hellforge payment
    5) Beating Diablo [10-15 min rushed // about 20-30 min free]
    6) Ancients [1-5 min rushed // about 20-30 min free]

Now to put all this information together, think of it like this: A hell hellforge drop can be as good as a gul rune and will very likely be at least a somewhat valuable rune. So to the average person this is an important quest reward that took a lot of work for them to accomplish. Would someone give up this valuable item just to save a little time? Even though they have already beaten normal and nightmare, there is a huge investment of time necessary to get to the hellforge and then through hell difficulty itself. If you look at my free-rushed guesstimates, it would take the average person around 5 hours to get entirely through hell.

Enter hell rush for hellforge scam.

Why not have the best of both worlds? Getting through hell quickly and reaping the benefits of the hell hellforge at the same time. Once the hell for hellforge deal is made, a character can be progressed to act4 hell in as little as 10 minutes as opposed to the normal 3-4 HOURS it takes to do it without the scam. Once in act4, 75% of the hell rush has already been completed. It comes down to the integrity of the player to pay for the remaining 25% of the rush with their hellforge drop. And if you haven't played on battle.net realms for too long or too often I'll let you in on something, the average player will leave the game. You will have wasted a good 10-15 minutes of your time for nothing and a scammer will be that much farther along in hell.

I don't mean to be cynical in my assessment of the battle.net population but this is what I've found to be true in my experiences. There are some good people out there and it is possible to rush people for their hellforge. Not everyone is a liar. This just doesn't change the fact that a lot of people out there have no morals when they are anonymous and not held accountable for their actions. In the end, if you decide to give people hell rushes for hellforge, you would be wise to stay away from people with suspect character and to not expect much.

15. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

As far as the runes themselves go, I kinda have mixed feelings. I think bliz may have made the high end runewords too powerful and the high end runes too rare, wich has made their innate effect absolutely meaninless. I mean, is there anyone out there in 1.10 ladder who has ever used a JAH or BER for non-runeword socketing? pre-dupe at least.

16. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I don't know that I wouldn't if I found one.

17. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I will give this advice for rushing.

With experience, rushing people for Hellforge is GUARENTEED to load you up with runes/items. I already posted elsewhere about how I made 50% of my fortunes pre 1.09 from rushing for payment (yet the time spent Mfing was way more then time spent rushing). Pretty soon I rushed for free because I didn't really need the payment anymore. At first, it will suck because you WILL get scammed A LOT. However at the end of my rushing-career, I had a streak of 11 no-scam full rushes going.

I have not rushed or been rushed in 1.10, partly because I think the rush time is too slow to be considered a rush, but mainly because I discovered refound enjoyment in playing no-rush.

As for finding runes, most people I meet will tell me that finding the rarest items in the game is way easier then finding the runes. Pre 1.10 my best rune was Gul off a cow and 2nd best would be hellforge Ums. In 1.10, an Ohm dropped after maybe 100 travincal runs.

For the legit player, making BotD and Enigma is never even considered a part of game play. The odds of finding one of the runes is great enough, nevermind finding all of them. Although there obviously have to be SOME high end runes, the chances of you trading for a legit one now is almost as small as the chance of finding that rune yourself.

18. Lord Chaos

You do not need to beat the ancients to go to the next act.

19. Lord Chaos

But doesn't hellforge have a limit of what kind of runes it can drop?, and isn't that limit somewhat low, leaving a whole host of top runes you cannot get from it?

20. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Hell Hellforge rune drop range is hel-gul
    ist and vex are below gul which means that you can get some very valuable runes just from the hellforge quest.