Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do I solo hell?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dijkstra, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Dijkstra

Dijkstra Diabloii.Net Member

I have a lightning sorc with different equipment I have gathered myself. She is level 67, so it's nothing godly at all!

How do I solo hell?
    I find myself sourrounded by lightning immune over and over again. My merc help's and if I am very slow moving and find them one at a time, he will kill them. But if a group of 4 or more comes, he dies and so do I, - unless I mannage to outrun them.

What am I missing. How do I progress from here.
    Until now the game have been fairly straight forward. I have had drawbacks, but nothing substantial. Now I seem to be stuch altogether.

2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Depends a lot on your merc's gear and what you're willing to find to improve him. It also depends on how much you're willing to skip or postpone...

You might want to consider a dual tree build and respec to one so they are very very few monsters you cannot kill (which your merc can!) but this is more of a preference, thing...

If you have leech + CB + ias on merc he should be able to handle most things if you're willing to help (use telekinesis to stun tougher mobs or split them up, Tele around to reposition merc and give him time to regen (also use pots on him))

If this is single player, you might want to consider leveling up in NM at a higher player setting "/players x" where x = 1-8 to the low-mid 70s and hopefully find gear

3. Dijkstra

Dijkstra Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for your advice!

Please elaborate on the telekinesis part, I never use this spell. Thought it could only work to pickup money, keys and other light stuff from a distance. For me it is (or at least was) only a necessary skill to get teleport.

I am not playing singleplayer, - but ladder. And as such the more obvious solutioin probably is to play with 'strangers'. I havent tried that though.

I am trying to find gear and do Mephisto runs, cow runs etc. But even with better gear I don't see how I can change my situation.

But better stuff on merc, and finding out how to help him better seems to be a good way to go.

4. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

TK can be used to knockback and stun monsters. So spamming it on a monster to knock them agaisnt the wall can be very powerful against tough monsters. Unique monsters have a reduced chance of being knocked into hit recovery, but it can still work

5. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch Diabloii.Net Member

I really hate doing this but since you're in Act I, I don't want you to feel too shocked later on.

You remember those countless Beetles from Act II? They're all Lightning Immune in Hell.

This is why people often recommend dual tree Sorceresses for soloing. Frozen Orb does amazing damage as a secondary skill for minimal skill point investment. 20 in Frozen Orb, approx. 7 in cold mastery.

Now, if you're really adamant about staying pure Lightning, you can always shop for wands with charges of Lower Resist -> This will "break" their lightning immunity so you don't have to feel like an observer while your merc has all the fun.

There's also the Infinity Runeword, but it requires 2x Ber, 1x Ist, 1x Mal. The probability of trading for a set of these runes that wasn't obtained by illegal methods is lower than the probability of Kim Kardashian winning a Nobel Prize in Neuroscience.

Anyhoo, hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Summary of what to do in order to solo hell with a sorc:

Dual element. I recommend fire/cold because lightning needs more skill bonuses (and also more faster cast rate for lightning and chain lightning and IIRC charged bolt as well) to be as effective in general. Something like maximized fireball, meteor, fire mastery, frozen orb and one point in cold mastery ,frozen armor, warmth, teleport, as soon as possible (more in cold mastery once you are through with the skills which are to be maximized). You usually kill with fireballs. If the merc can fix the monsters in place or the battlefield provides that while the monsters have lots of life, meteor is better. Fire immunes are killed with frozen orb, of course. Fire+cold immunes: See the telekinesis paragraph below.

If you want better equipment, do a few hundreds (yes, hundreds) of nightmare Meph runs while wearing MF stuff. He can drop most of the important items, except stuff like shako or Tal's armor.

Gather a few essential low-cost runewords if you have bad gear or you don't want to do boring MF runs as mentioned previously: Stealth, Rhyme, Spirit in a sword, Insight for your act 2 merc (very important) and perhaps Lore if you had bad luck with helms so far. If you lack the runes, the Countess in nightmare can drop all of them while the socketed items can either be shopped or found on the way to her. Regarding the merc, a rather early way of getting life leech for him is Sigon's helm+armor which add 10% as a set bonus.

Wait until level 75. Before that, you simply don't deal enough damage to have a decent XP per minute ratio. Do nightmare Baal runs. There's no need to respec from pure lightning to dual element before being finished with that. Even at L75, it will be a lot of hit and run (and dying if you want to do everything in the right order). I would teleport quickly through act 1-3 and skip everything which isn't really needed (Den of Evil + Radament are musts, however, because of the skill point bonus), then do hell Meph runs until the gear has improved and then do everything which has been skipped in act 1-3.

Telekineses: What the others meant to say is that while you nailing a monster to a wall with TK, your merc kills it safely. That's usually how I'm getting the Councils killed in Travincal, one of them is fire+cold immune.

7. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Meph can drop shako.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's why I wrote "nightmare Meph".

Archone likes this.
  9. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, my college education sure went to waste there.

Sorry, I'll try to actually READ next time. =P