How do I solo hell as a blizz sorc?

Should I put some points into fire? Here are my skills so far:

Level 17

WARMTH - 1
TELEK - 1
BOLT - 1
NOVA - 1
BLAST - 9

I really don't wanna get stuck with a char that can't solo. Please help.

TheNamelessOne

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How do I solo hell as a blizz sorc?

Hey Northman any char can solo, take a look at this from my useless char builds thread, it will impress you.

TheNorthman

Diabloii.Net Member

If you want to solo, make a Blizzballer instead of a pure Blizzard sorceress. So, put any spare points into Fireball. You should probably aim for at least 10 hard skill points by the time you reach Hell.

There's a Blizzballer guide here: http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=2179552&postcount=1
Thanks, I'll read the guide. At what lvl do most people get to hell? (edit: read it and he says 1 pt in ice blast and 20 in glacial spike, but I've already spent 9 on blast... what do I do?)

Also, what should my gf, who's playing a light sorc do? Is she gonna be ok in hell as a single-element sorc?

Melchior3

Diabloii.Net Member

I solo'd a pure Blizz sorc to Guardian and it wasn't all that hard. I am an experienced player though and had 2 Guardians before that, so if you're still new I'd recommend the Blizzballer for versatility. You can use either build for successful MFing so don't stress about it.

TheNorthman

Diabloii.Net Member

I solo'd a pure Blizz sorc to Guardian and it wasn't all that hard. I am an experienced player though and had 2 Guardians before that, so if you're still new I'd recommend the Blizzballer for versatility. You can use either build for successful MFing so don't stress about it.
That's blizz + fireball right? How do I allocate the points then?

Melchior3

Diabloii.Net Member

I made a Blizzballer to use Tal's Set, but you can use whatever you like really. I went 95str, base dex/ene and rest vit (335 in the end).
Skills were 20 Firebolt/20 Fireball and 20 Glacial Spike/20 Blizzard. Obviously you use FB and Blizz, the others are synergies. One point in both masteries and the more +skils you can muster the better.
You can lean towards Fire or Cold by choosing appropriate skillers and putting extra points into either mastery. I used Blizzard 90% of the time and Fireballed CIs or spammed FBs for kicks. Putting the rest of my points into a Blizz synergy, but I've made Guardian so I only really use her for MFing now and then.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Just ignoring cold immunes or have your merc kill them will go a long way. Level up by doing p8 pindle runs on NM, then p8 AT runs on hell.

TheNorthman

Diabloii.Net Member

I made a Blizzballer to use Tal's Set, but you can use whatever you like really. I went 95str, base dex/ene and rest vit (335 in the end).
Skills were 20 Firebolt/20 Fireball and 20 Glacial Spike/20 Blizzard. Obviously you use FB and Blizz, the others are synergies. One point in both masteries and the more +skils you can muster the better.
You can lean towards Fire or Cold by choosing appropriate skillers and putting extra points into either mastery. I used Blizzard 90% of the time and Fireballed CIs or spammed FBs for kicks. Putting the rest of my points into a Blizz synergy, but I've made Guardian so I only really use her for MFing now and then.
Wow, that sounds really awesome. What are everyone else's thoughts on this build?

Poppis

Diabloii.Net Member

I wonder how good the damage is since you cant max both fireballs and blizzards synergys...

But I quess tal orb makes up for something.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member

unless your gf will have infinity, she will just as 'incapable' to solo hell as your pure blizz-sorc would have been. Single elements without curses/aura's for immunes will have a hard time soloing hell.

P.S. note that you can shop/find wands with charges of lower resist. If you combine that with a good merc and a smart choice of area's, you can be somewhat effective until you find the wealth to get infinity.
Question is, what are interesting area's without LI? Anyone.

[edit]
keyrunning perhaps.

kuzanth

Diabloii.Net Member

Can i ask why do u want blizzard instead of frozen orb? :coffee: Blizzard has greater dmg, but at hell it doesnt freeze/attack enemies every time. I have a lvl91 orber, and even i dont have 125 fcr, its very, very effective. I put 1 point on teleport, 1 on warmth, maxed out frozen orb/fire ball, maxed out the ball synergies and fire mastery, 1 point on cold mastery. My merc uses insight polearm (well, he is my mana resource :thumbup:), i use spirit+eschuta (with +4/-3 fire facet in it), CoH, a rare coronet with +2soso, 30%frw, all res ~12-15, an amu with +2soso, 29str, thundergod's belt, bk3, etc...So not uber items, but quite good they are. So all-in-all (as i tested it in single player too) its more effective (for me!) then a blizzard/ball soso.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Both orb and blizzard are timered spells, but blizzard is MUCH easier to use for meph runs. Better damage against single or a few targets as well.

Also, if using tals set, I'd simply skip putting hard points in the masteries and only go for synergies.

1 point in tele, TK and warmth. Possibly one in static, but if twinking on tal's, I'd probably be twinked hard enough to avoid that.

Fire Ball combined with blizzard makes for a very decent andy runner as well.

And 105% is the FCR breakpoint for sorcs (and barbs), not 125 (which is paladins and necros) so easily reached by full tal set, 35% spirit and Magefists.

Melchior3

Diabloii.Net Member

unless your gf will have infinity, she will just as 'incapable' to solo hell as your pure blizz-sorc would have been. Single elements without curses/aura's for immunes will have a hard time soloing hell.
No offence intended but this is false. Without even considering that I will never actualy have the runes for Infinity in Self-Found SP HC, you do NOT need it to solo Hell, nor do you need LR charges, because I had neither.
It is important to invest some time and equipment into your merc and take care of him so he can take out the CIs while you Static them to 50%.

A5 is challenging due to the CIs there, but I still managed it. Remember you don't need to kill every monster to make it past Hell, you just need to do the quests. The Ancients are easier with re-rolling to get a non-CI group, but not necessary if your merc is good.

Anything not CI gets destroyed by synergised Blizzard and with Teleport you can do Hell is very short time. Some people wil disagree that this is "really making it through Hell" or whatever, but if you want a strong MFer for Meph/Pindy (even Baal with good items) then who cares if you tele through Hell...alot of people do this anyway :)

@Poppis: On my blizzballer, my Fireball and Blizzard are both at about 2.2k-2.4 in MF gear (inc unsocketed Tals) with no skill charms. Kills well enough in Hell and certainly not the slowest character I've soloed to Guardian.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member

A5 is challenging due to the CIs there, but I still managed it. Remember you don't need to kill every monster to make it past Hell, you just need to do the quests. The Ancients are easier with re-rolling to get a non-CI group, but not necessary if your merc is good.
If that is the case, why even waste points in lightning skills at all? Just teleport past everything and let your merc kill those few targets that need to be killed.
Superdave soloed hell though that doesn't mean his character is a character made to solo hell.
Unless you have a mean to efficiently kill immunes, you do not have a character designed to solo hell - which doesn't mean he can't however.

P.S. since when does static work on LI? That means the summit is wrong again.

Melchior3

Diabloii.Net Member

If that is the case, why even waste points in lightning skills at all? Just teleport past everything and let your merc kill those few targets that need to be killed.
Superdave soloed hell though that doesn't mean his character is a character made to solo hell.
Unless you have a mean to efficiently kill immunes, you do not have a character designed to solo hell - which doesn't mean he can't however.

P.S. since when does static work on LI? That means the summit is wrong again.
I'm not sure what you're referring to with the Lightning skills part, but I see what you're saying for the rest of it, though I don't make such a distinction myself. Really it's a matter of opinion. If being able to effectively dispatch of every monster in Hell is what you call soloing then I have a few chars (mainly quirky ones) that can't solo Hell, even though they finished the game without any help :) To me, if the character is called a Guardian and I don't hack, cheat, have help or do anything else questionable, that's enough for me. :)

Oh and I don't believe Static does work against LIs.

kuzanth

Diabloii.Net Member

"but blizzard is MUCH easier to use for meph runs. Better damage against single or a few targets as well."
Hmm, if u say so, then let it be, although my experiences show that orb is much better (always hits, not like blizzard, and kills monsters faster than blizzard...but that is my experience, i may be wrong...). And using orbs means that u dont need that much synergies that can be spent on other skills.

Furyan

Diabloii.Net Member

My Blizzard MF sorc (pure Blizzard and Ice Blast, no Orb or Meteor or whatever) can perfectly solo entire hell, due to her merc. Insight eth CV, eth Forti and a good Gaze / Andyface solve all problems.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member

@ kuzanth: as already said, orb is better for when there are many monsters spread out on the screen - it'll hit them all thus slowing and killing them. Blizzard on the other hand can only damage - often killing - a small number of monsters.
So if you manly want to be killing lots of easy monsters, orb is probably better. On the other hand, blizzard is a much better boss killer and thus you will have more use of it as a mephisto/ancient tunnels runner then you will have with a orb as a mephisto/ancient tunnels runner.

P.S. aren't most blizzard user pure blizzard and most orb user meteorb?

@Melchior3: I'm referring to the fact that if you only want to guardian your character, you can use your teleport tactic to teleport through can't one untill you find andarial and have your merc kill it. Thus you don't need more skills then teleport, rinse and repeat for act 2.
Thus hoping to point out the such a character isn't a character made to solo hell as you will only kill like 50 monsters top.