Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do I make Frozen Orb stronger?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Ogrt48, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

How do I make Frozen Orb stronger?

I maxed it at 20 points and ice mastery is at 20 also. My sorc is level 65 about and my Frozen Orb only does 299 damage. Even nm mephy takes a bit to kill! :surprise:

2. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Don't let yourself be fooled by the low number, as that is for each shard. Here are some recommendations to make your orbs do more damage:
    1. You should make sure that the ball itself goes right through your opponent, so it doesn't just get hit by the spray. This is really the biggest boost to FO damage among these. However, if you're already doing that, check the next two.
    2. Get some +all skills, some +cold skills or +frozen orb skills. Apparently, you only have FO at level 21 or 22 - getting it higher will boost the damage. +Skills are most frequently found on rare circlets, amulets and orbs, but grand charms and certain uniques can also have them. If you haven't found any, gambling amulets and circlets may be an idea (to get the best +2 all sorceress skills modifier, you have to be level 78, I think, but +2 cold skills or +1 all sorceress skills are still very nice). Gamble at Alkor in act 3, as he is cheapest.
    3. Pump skill points into FO's synergy, Ice Bolt. You haven't stated your exact build, but I assume that FO is your main attack, and in that case you should max Ice Bolt.
    Good luck!

3. disci

disci IncGamers Member

If you can get these beautys in your hands, search for cold rainbow facets to lower enemys cold resistances :)

4. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

Hi, thanks for all the tips. It looks like its time for some charm and skill hunting. I started my sorc off using your meteorb guide but ended up changing her someone since I hate meteors summoning time.

5. Dr4kan

Dr4kan IncGamers Member

if ur rich, get ur hands on Deaths fathom high %, nighwings veil, and socket both with cold rainbow facet jewels, these boost FO dam by alot.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

lvl 20-25 already gives quite a lot of -% enemy resistance, so Cold Facets would only boost damage by +cold damage, not by -cold res. Remember, -100% is max with Cold Mastery.

7. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

Ok thanks, also I'm poor, this is my only character. Also what are Cold Facets and who drops them? Thanks :clap: :clap:

8. chinaman1472

chinaman1472 IncGamers Member

Cold Facets are unique jewels.
    Also, I tend to play single tree sorc. Maxing Ice Bolt isn't that bad of an idea. At lvl 20, it's like adding 80% dmg with maxed Cold Mastery.

9. xAnjelofLytex

xAnjelofLytex IncGamers Member

My pvp FO/ts sorc is using alot of +skill..shot my FO dmg up quite a bit..

10x Cold gcs
    Shako, Maras, Um'ed 49%res Viper, 39res hoto, lidless, 2xsojs, magefist, travs :( (i need better boots), annihilus

Alot of +skill is gonna help a ton...

Whisper me *anjelpk anytime on USWest SC Nonladder if u want a friendly duel..always lookin for a challenge :)

10. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

Well I have been looking for any sort of good jewels for her for 9 hours so far now.. straight.. Total found: 0, zero, zip, :(

11. Dark Tyrant

Dark Tyrant IncGamers Member

Wouldn't finding something with lower resist help a lot for an orb sorc in pvp?

12. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

sasja what do u mean Alkor's is cheapest in gambling?

13. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

14. let's have a look

let's have a look IncGamers Member

Just aim it better

As was stated before, you will get much more from your orbs if you can aim them better. There is a sweet spot that is small but makes the orb do very respectable damage. The orb should pass through the enemy and burst immediatly on the other side of them. Like i said the sweet spot is very small and many times you will miss it. But with practice you will master it.

After static you should be able to drop meph in 3 orbs.

15. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

Ido hope you're talkin NM Meph. . . :scratch:

16. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

Hi, thanks for that tip. I try to make the orb explode in him when possible. I can do NM mephy without a problem now. I can beat Hell mephy but I die atleast 7 times each run. Doing damage isn't much of a problem, I just can't take it. ^_^

17. this_barb

this_barb IncGamers Member

death's fathom + ormus and lvl 40+ frozen orbz (more than 1000 damage per shard i believe), its cool.

18. chora321

chora321 IncGamers Member

I've killed hell meph a couple times with 3 orbs, getting the perfect distance on him with merc tanking. Average probably around 5 orbs. As mentioned above best way to boost damage is to get +skills. For my kills I have:

SOJ x 2
    Occy
    Shako
    Mara
    Arachnid
    Lidless
    Skullders
    1 Cold GC

19. Ogrt48

Ogrt48 IncGamers Member

Hm, I must find a way to level up my Merc. He's only level 53 and dies in one hit from hell Mephy, lol.

20. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

If your going to mf, just build a blizzard sorcy, they dont need as much + skills to kill hell meph, and if you use the moat trick, you wont die [/end off topic]

It takes a very high level of frozen orb / mastery and full synergies these days to work effectivly at pvm +in this patch. Realistically, if you want to do well, your going to have to get level 35 or greater frozen orb.

an Example of the ideal setup for a frozen orb sorc:

perfect cold facet shako
    Chains of honor ( resists, a touch of mf, 2 skills, drool :surprise: )
    2 sojs
    deaths fathom /occy ( cold facet, of course)
    magefists
    Lidless
    Arachnids mesh
    + 3 cold skills amulet with a decent second mod ( faster cast or resists is uber)
    and 10 cold skill grand charms + good annihilus and fill the rest with all resists scs, and your setup will give

reasonable resists, level 45 cold skills / ( 11 all skills, 14 cold skills) and with maxed mastery / fo you should easily be able to do 1000 per shard