Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do i level my merc!?!?!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by RealButter, Apr 6, 2004.

1. RealButter

RealButter IncGamers Member

How do i level my merc!?!?!

I am a lvl 40 blizz sorc and i have a lvl 13 act 2 def merc that just will not lvl. I dunno where to take him to gain maximum exp. Can anyone help me?

Also ive noticed that he gains NO exp for killing on his own. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help

2. whiteknight0916

whiteknight0916 IncGamers Member

Your Merc must be within 5 level of the monsters to gain exp for killing them. There is a nice chart in the stategy section listing monster level but basically for this guy do arcane runs in 8 player games. It will still take a long time.

3. RealButter

RealButter IncGamers Member

so is it still worth it then?

4. whiteknight0916

whiteknight0916 IncGamers Member

Not unless your still going through Act 2. Where are you in the game? Perhaps get an Act 5 barbarian to hold you until you can get a Act 2 NM Merc.

5. Watzit2ya

Watzit2ya IncGamers Member

If you plan on sticking with the normal act2 def merc, it will pay off in the end a bit.

As far as lvling, for the merc to get the big xp by making the kill, he has to be within 5 lvls. If you dont wanna just wait till Hell, or NM for a new higher lvl act merc, take him to Canyon, and tal's tomb in full normal games and rush through making all the kills, he will lvl pretty fast through the lower lvls. Then take him through act 4 ROF once hes about 20's You should be able to push him to 20 fast through Tal's tomb's. Then you should be able to do Worldstone 2,3 and Chamber solo if your 40 something. Doing a few games of that normal will have him capped at your lvl. And get you a lvl or 2. Then just keep him at your lvl as you go through NM/Hell unless your being rushed.

Lvling a merc sucks either way you look at it. But its easier to get him to your lvl now, than to wait till your 85 like i did, before deciding to get a merc!

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The difference in lvling an Act2 defiance Merc from Normal or Hell will be a few points more for the Normal one compared to the one from Hell:

Look at this chart to see if it worth for you
    http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/warrior-defensive.shtml

The thing is that lvling the Normal ones takes an aweful lot of time until they become around lvl25. From then on its a smooth job like lvling any other Merc from NM or Hell.

To find the best Acts to lvl your Merc look here:
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

7. Charlie

Charlie IncGamers Member

Why not drop her and hire another with lvl 25+ so you can take her to baal runs?

8. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Because you may want to keep your act2 merc, and these have a hire level cap of about 14 I believe.

9. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

You can level them in hell cows if you're a little careful. Sure they'll die in 1 hit initially, but they gain lots of xp (much better than in their 'appropriate' areas) and their resurrection costs are low. As their costs become annoying they learn to take at least one hit, later two, and even later he can tank a while for himself.

10. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

if i were u, i would just wait till ur around lvl 80 and hire one in hell, hiring in norm will increase his stats like by 10, which probly not worth it, and try and get a descent sword like sword gaurd, and since its not that good put an amn in it, leech on melee mercs is good, (so also use tal mask imo, or gaze)