Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do I know if something's duped?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Hnoo B, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Hnoo B

Hnoo B IncGamers Member

How do I know if something's duped?

I got a few small charms "fine small charm of vita" from someone who was giving them away. They are all +3 max damage, +20 attack rating, +20 life. According to the price guide (for US East) each one of those is worth 4+ Ists.

If these things are real, then I've won the lottery. I don't really need them, but could in theory trade them for ALOT of stuff (assuming price guide is even vaguely right).

However, I'm really a noobie to trading, and am afraid that these things are duped, since this is almost too good to be true. I don't want to trade them away and have them be duped and then people are gonna get mad at me. So....

How do I know if these things are real and not duped? And what is duping exactly (what does that mean and how can I avoid getting duped things)?

Thanks, sorry for a stupid question if this is one.

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, there is no legal way to tell if something is duped. But you have an option:

go to the tradeforums here (choose your realm) and look in the stickied threads. Usually there is a list of duped items on that realm. Every item you see that you didn't found yourself is considered a dupe. You are not allowed to trade that here. You can, however, trade it in the trade channels.

3. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

If you offer one of those in these forums you'll be banned (this is non-ladder tho) since these are certanly duped.

- D.J.

4. Hnoo B

Hnoo B IncGamers Member

Ok, but is there a way to know for certain? I understand from reading the forums that duped items disappear. Do they disappear after a fixed amount of time? For example, let's say duped items disappear after 2 hours. Therefore, if I carry these things on me while I play for 2 hours, and they don't disappear, I will know they're not duped. Is there anything like this? 24 hours? any amount of time?

I would really like to know if these things are real. They are *not* listed as duped items on the trade forums. I know that doesn't guarantee they're not duped, but if they're real I could trade them for things I really want. I joined a game where this guy was just dumping a lot of stuff, and he was crowded and I couldn't click fast enough, so I didn't get anything. So he actually clicked on me and gave me these in a trade window.

*** please reply with definite answers, not "I think they might be duped" or "I don't think they might be duped." How can I actually find out? ***

P.S. - I'm non-ladder, if that matters

5. Lensor

Lensor Banned

Smells like dupes to me, especially seeing you are NL..
    If they poof you know they were dupes. However, there is no specific "timer" on when this can/will happen, can be whenever, so even if they don't poof, they can still be dupes.

6. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Ever hear the expression:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

You got them for free on the realms, I say use them or trade them on the realms, but not in the trade forums here.

You are not going to hear about a way to detect dupes in this group of forums. By checking the trade forum stickys you can find out what items are typically hacks or dupes.
    But look, if someone GAVE you a stack of these there is no way on God's green earth that they FOUND them all legitly. No way! :lol:

7. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Here's a definate answer : There is no surefire way to tell.

If an item is a dupe It is likely at some point to vanish.

8. happyfamine

happyfamine IncGamers Member

you say you're new to trading but are you new to diabloii? have you ever found a perfect charm like that? do you know anyone that has? and now you wonder if this person that gave them to you happened to legitly have multiples of such a charm?

has anyone here ever found or rolled a 3/20/20?

9. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Best I made/found sofar was a 1/11/17 :rolleyes:

10. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

my best was a 3/17/19 woot i was happy as, but with those i would just sell to norm akara for 5k gold cuase then you know the gold wont disppear hehehehhehe