How do I kill Andariel

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
I dont think its that often after the first hit of cold. I usually run around him til it wears off giving my merc and traps a chance to deal damage. It seems that I go about 5 secs between freezing.

chaos

Diablo: IncGamers Member
I'm pretty sure holy freeze aura isn't affected by half-freeze duration mods.

And any might merc tanking duriel won't last a few seconds, not without full PDR gear and life-tap on hand. ;) Being big has nothing to do with how effective strafe, MS or charge ups work. After his initial charge, he uses a normal attack if you're in melee range. If you go out of melee range, he either goes after you, or launches another devestating charge attack. Don't be complacent.

That's why melee characters have it easy against duriel. Go up close, stay in melee range, soak up the weak normal attack, leech and finish him. gg. Note that his melee attack knocks you back, so keep running up to him, never let him get that charge off.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
I dont think its that often after the first hit of cold. I usually run around him til it wears off giving my merc and traps a chance to deal damage. It seems that I go about 5 secs between freezing.

I think that is because you manage to get out of the range of the aura (the range is short on Normal), which is not a bad tactic in itself. Just watch out for Charges...

Corndog

Diabloii.Net Member
HBeachBabe said:
a bowazon with a might merc to tank

Might mercs arent available till NM.

Duriel in NM and Hell is much easier to handle with casters IMHO, than Duriel in Normal. By the time you get to him in NM and Hell the caster has its best spells that are becoming very potent at that point. In normal the caster only has available to it weaker spells that usually arent very area restrictive friendly. Normal Duriel will quickly kill any merc or summons you have up to that point, leaving you and him.

Great test for any caster charachter at a low level. I have always found it useful to build my casters as melee early on just to be prepared for this encounter.

linkato1

Banned
Corndog said:
Might mercs arent available till NM.

Duriel in NM and Hell is much easier to handle with casters IMHO, than Duriel in Normal. By the time you get to him in NM and Hell the caster has its best spells that are becoming very potent at that point. In normal the caster only has available to it weaker spells that usually arent very area restrictive friendly. Normal Duriel will quickly kill any merc or summons you have up to that point, leaving you and him.

Great test for any caster charachter at a low level. I have always found it useful to build my casters as melee early on just to be prepared for this encounter.
My nine skellies, glay golem and defensive act 2 merc made mince meat out of /players 8 Normal Duriel in not time flat. No casualities on my side.

Decrepify rules!

Stayed at side and casted decrepify once in a while and that was it.

Yours: Topi

Corndog

Diabloii.Net Member
linkato1 said:
Decrepify rules!
Yes it does. Point taken. When I tried him with my necro I didnt have that curse at the time and Duriel made very short work of skellies, golem and merc.
I was untwinked at the time also. If you twink your low level charchters this encounter is quite different I assure you.

linkato1

Banned
Corndog said:
Yes it does. Point taken. When I tried him with my necro I didnt have that curse at the time and Duriel made very short work of skellies, golem and merc.
I was untwinked at the time also. If you twink your low level charchters this encounter is quite different I assure you.
I just retired all my SC characters. This necro is my first HC character and has just beaten Duriel first time. As I don't do trades this is totally untwinked.

The futher characters will get what ever this necro will find. Unless I decide to try the septiwhatever ;-)

Eventually all finds that I don't need and will not go into my grail will be given out for free.

Yours: Topi

Ehtirno

Diabloii.Net Member
2 pages of advice on killing Andariel, and not a single flame... This is the Single Player Forum alright :D :D :D

Hi there, and enjoy your stay!

I always buy a staff with +1 or +2 to blaze and then let her chase you and get burned at the same time. Don't get easier than that.

DX

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to be really cheap against NM/Hell duriel. I would get in the chamber and keep casting firewall. the firewall carries on even after you die so just wait until the firewall dies out, then go recover your corpse, repeat if neccessary.

Anyway, normal duriel, lightning zons are the best! Even a lvl 1 charged strike takes him down fast.

chaos

Diablo: IncGamers Member
DX-Crawler said:
I always buy a staff with +1 or +2 to blaze and then let her chase you and get burned at the same time. Don't get easier than that.

DX
That's my norm/hell duriel strategy. (NM usually isn't a problem.. :scratch: ) That or keep dying and dmging him as much as possible before being killed. :D