Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How Difficult Should Hell Mode be?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JaMonk, Jul 14, 2011.

1. JaMonk

JaMonk IncGamers Member

How Difficult Should Hell Mode be?

There has been a little talk about what people are hoping for in Diablo III in terms of it's difficulty as a video game, whether it is "dumbing down" to casual gamer standards or will be frustratingly hard to beat. What does everybody think the difficulty levels, especially Hell, should measure out to? Should Diablo III Hell require trained timing and expert skill to conquer, or should it be more accessible to casual gamers and let it be fairly easy to level up to 60?

That brings up the talk about Hardcore mode, and how hard that should ideally be. I personally do not have the audacity to invest time in an HC main character, not after my d2 experience...

Personally, I hope I start getting my *** kicked in Nightmare mode, and just barely scrape through Hell with my sanity

2. ginotype

ginotype IncGamers Member

Re: How Difficult Should Hell Mode be?

With that said, I hope you beat the game...otherwise you might have to see a doc :crazyeyes:

...but yes, hopefully hell is bat**** insane :surprise:

3. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I think the right amount of difficulty will be where your out of the box character needs to make good choices on gearing and skills, but isn't forced into a cookie cutter spec to survive...I want the leveling in Hell to go so slowly that you get a sense of accomplishment by completing it, but not so long that you start to lose interest.

Make the game have good relative value; make us want to craft items at the end game, or at least let them be a viable alternative to farming...if not, why have it there?

It will be interesting a year in, when people will have accumulated gear and gold and knowledge...it will be very hard right away, and less so as we progess.

4. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

If I was allowed to vote, I'd vote 'want to be excessively hammered and barely get through'.

5. seffer

seffer IncGamers Member

Hell should be difficult in that you can't just plow through everything. It be challenging, but not brutally hard. No one-shotting monsters, please.

But I want hardcore to be HARD CORE...

6. Maurish

Maurish IncGamers Member

For people with skill and knowledge in ARPG games, I want it to be challenging but not brutal. Not saying that you should be able to run through it with your first time either. Make it too hard even for the skilled player base and your casual gamers start whining.

7. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Well, one could also take the stance that Hell will be geared toward skilled players since some casual players may beat the game on normal, and then never play again. When I first saw D2, I could not imagine why anyone would want to replay the game, just harder...heh...

8. Maurish

Maurish IncGamers Member

You have a point there. I actually hope that is the case. It would be sad to see hell dumbed down to casual level but I'm sure they won't go that low.

9. Steven Catogen

Steven Catogen IncGamers Member

Make it hard, but avoid fake difficulty. The game should punish you for mistakes, else you won't know you're making them and won't have incentive to correct them.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

hey now here is a thread topic i like. imo hell mode should still be beatable solo by a diablo vet. i dont think you should need the best of the best gear but you should need some gearing up. i really want the "hard" stuff to be more end game related with norm/nm/hell more about gearing up for that

11. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

I think the level of difficulty in D2 Hell was good (ya know, the first few times you played through it, without knowledge and twinked gear), I just want to see the method of difficulty changed. Two things made Hell tough in D2:

1) One-shot monster attacks

2) Multiple immunities

I want to see D3 use a more "war of attrition" style of difficulty. On top of enemy stats being higher (obviously), let's see things like:

- Lower rate of health globes, so strategies/builds have to be more precise.

- Smarter enemies, who use group dynamics (like weaker ones moving to force you to go through a tank to reach them)

- Additional abilities for enemies (or possibly "runed" versions of their attacks)

- Fewer "safe" zones. Basically make the experience a mental grind too because there is a near constant flow of enemies.

12. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

I want Hell to be difficult, and I want "difficult" to mean that it requires strategy.

I do not want this to be some simple thing where monsters have (near) immunities, tons of damage and tons of life. Cookie cutting your build to avoid or mitigate getting hit and to work around immunities has been way too easy in D2 as well as most games.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like getting hit to mean something - even so much so that getting hit a second time or swarmed by pions is not an option - but not in a way that cookie cutter build alone (i.e., without strategy) could save you from this fate.

As I see it, your effectiveness and survivability in Hell should depend on your ability to design a build – be it tanker or glass canon or somewhere in between - and play it strategically, not just adopt someone else’s build as is the case for most D2 builds in most if not all areas of the game.

However, I’d also like single player to be an option in Hell, which means that in order to keep things interesting multiplayer, they will need to not only increase monster damage and life to keep the monsters on screen longer and a real threat, but also develop some pretty cool algorithms for how the monsters choose targets. Monsters can’t just go attacking the tanker up front while the ranged player in the back picks them off. They need to have a few melee and several ranged monsters go after the ranged players specifically.

13. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

It should be really difficult!! I dont wanna beat Act bosses in a row, it should be challenging and rewarding.

I also dont think that our passage thou hell should depend on our equipments, i would focus more on skill and strategic thinking.

For a fast grind and walkthrough we have normal mode. Fed the kids with that one and leave Nightmare for training and Hell for the real challenge!

I remember killing Mephisto in 45 seconds...thats just not right!
    Give us a challenge and we will accept it and beat the hell out of the game! :D

14. Big Al

Big Al IncGamers Member

In my humble opinion (this has probably been mentioned by previous replies), I wish Hell to truly seperate the "casual" from the "dedicated". I found it too often in D2 that once properly geared, PvE in general (except for Ubers) became so easy that it wasn't even satisfying to complete it. I believe that there is a fine line between having fun because you're well-geared, and being so twinked that you do not receive that rewarding feeling (similar to a first playthrough) after defeating a boss, group of monsters, etc. I hope that Blizzard never forces us players to cross that line, meaning that they make hell hard enough where even the best made characters will still have a fairly difficult time completeing it. This will also mean that players who are decently geared will be able to complete it, but it will be highly challenging. An analogy I'd like to use is a comparison between a complex, technological game like diablo; and a simple, old fashioned game like mario or donkey kong. I know this is a huge stretch, but I wish the difficulty in Hell to be much like the later levels in these games. If you're good, you can beat them..but it takes time. If you're casually entering an arcade and drop a coin into the machine, you're most likely going to get stuck at the first few levels (a.k.a. casual players). In doing this, Blizzard will be making a game that caters to its entire audience, including die-hards like us who have been patrolling forums like it's our job, and those who will see Diablo 3 on the shelves of a Walmart and decide to pick it up because it looks "cool". And that's the end of my spiel.

15. Ashley Riot

Ashley Riot IncGamers Member

agree. hell ought to be '**** it this aint working time for another strategy' difficult and not 'uh yeah, im like, GOD and all, but even my fantawesome omnipotent powers are no match to this game. Screw u blizzard, screw u so effing much' difficult

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i rather it be set more like the d2 hell than the d2lod hell

17. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

I totally agree!!
    I played some time ago Castlevania: Order Of Ecclesia (Highly recommended!) and it has a perfect balance in his difficulty. I had to try killing bosses several times before i realized the strategy to victory. I think that the idea of a casual Normal mode is perfect and as i said before, Nightmare for some heavy training and a real HELL mode! I want thous fallen really try to kill me!

Do someone remember the Blizzcon Vid where some of the devs talked about de behavior of the monsters? They twinked some reactions they have to make it easier at the beginning. Like: Attack. Stop and stand still, aim and run towards you and attack again. They said that it was very difficult if that stop and stand still instance where out. I didn't find the video, hope u guys remember!

18. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I think the difficultly in D2 was pretty much where it should be. It made it so you could still beat hell untwinked but it wasn't easy. You either had to have a good skill/stat setup and play slow and safe or you needed to do a pretty good amount of item hunting to beef up.

That's about where I think they should aim.

I also agree that they should try for a different way of making it difficult. The 1 hit kills and the immunities are a sort of cheap way of ramping up the difficulty. I'd rather drop the heath globes and make the player use a little more strategic play to get through everything.

19. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that it will be easier than D2 and D2:LOD (games tend to get easier to appeal to a wider base). But I'm hoping it is significantly harder than D2 and LOD, which were both pretty much a cake walk.

20. sinned

sinned IncGamers Member

I can't believe no one made this pun yet.

It should be difficult as hell! *chuckle*

No, but seriously. Hell should be soloable, as Apocalypse said, but some additional extra-hard challenges should be put in to keep the players going long after beating it.