Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How did you Beat Hell Ancients with your Sorc? (1.10) ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Urlik_Skarsol, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Urlik_Skarsol

Urlik_Skarsol IncGamers Member

How did you Beat Hell Ancients with your Sorc? (1.10)

How did you Beat Hell Ancients with your Sorc? (1.10)

Last night I had the most arduous battle I ever fought playing any D2 character... by a mile.

This was not fun...at all. It was incredibly frustrating and unfathomably long to say the least...

Somehow, after about 15 deaths, Snow_Bunny finally prevailed. I have some screenshots below that illustrate a new tactic I discovered ...although I wouldn't be surprised if the more astute Sorc players out there say: "O' yeah, that 'ol trick, hehehe."

I feel this deserves some exposition. I am so astounded by the difficulty of this challange that I am curious as to how other Sorc's (or non-phys damage dealing characters) got past hell ancients... Please do tell!

Here's my story:

First time up, I went in a little over confident. Since only one of them was supposed to be CI, I figured casting Blizzard and shooting pink pots into my Merc would take care of the first two and then he could finish off the last Ancient while I kept casting TK on him.

Hahahahahhaha.. forget that. My Merc is fairly durable, but he didn't last long enough to help me bring down even one!

Death1. And no more pink pots... :cry:

Next, we tried strewing blue and red pots all over the place. I also kept a tp open in the Ancients Way by the stairs in case I died again.

Death2-10 or so. Hahahhahahaha. By the way, the pots that you strew on the ground will vanish after a while. That was quite a rude awakening for me!

Next, we tried teleporting the Merc to save his *** as long as possible while barely managing to cast Blizzards in between. Hahahhahahahah.

The Merc died anyway before the first Ancient. But I was getting more adept at porting around and sychronizing Blizzard. Soon the 1st Ancient was dead. 10 minutes later, the one with 70% cold resist was dead. All that remained was Korlic, the Cold Immune one. Well, guess what? that frickin SOB spawned with CI+FI, so I had no way in Hell of killing him. Out of spite, I Static'd him a few times and then tried to TK him (which does like 3-4 lightning damage per hit). Hahhahahahahhaha.

Death11.

Next, I spent 380k gold on a Battlestaff from Anya that granted +3 to Thunderstorm. With my Lore circlet this meant I would effectively have 4 points in TS (zero invested). Lightning damage showed to be about 150 average. Hmmmm.. maybe if I run around and keep casting TS after Staticing Korlic down... It might work...

Well, it didn't.

Death12-15 were spent trying to get Korlic to spawn without FI. I think he might have once but I succumbed to weariness and I was dead... again. All that effort wasted... ARGHGHGHGHGHHG!!!

*ahem*

okay, now I was really pissed! :evil:

Battle 16 started in a similar fashion. I ported around to extend my Merc's life and cast Blizzard when possible, often not hitting those bastards. This time, one of them was lightning enchanted but Korlic was only CI. Unfortunately, he was also EXTRA FAST and could outrun me. My Merc was dead before the first one dropped, but at least he made some dents.

Somehow, I managed to kill off the first two with blizzards. Then the fricking pots disappeared off the ground again!

I had one red pot left in my belt and a few blues in my inventory.

Then I discovered something...

You can actually hide behind either of the two big columns to either side of the entrance to the Worldstone Keep - as long as Korlic is far away. I had to run him down to the opposite end and then port 2-3 times to the edge of the screen. It happened by accident at first.. Korlic was out of site and stopped chasing me. Yay! I could recover my mana ball fully and move the 5 or so potions I had in my inventory to my belt. They didn't last long though.

For the next 2 hours - I kid you not - 2 frickin hours! - Snow_Bunny cast Firewall, ran, and ported around. She would try to get Korlic to chase her in her FW, but that clever bastard would Leap more often than run. Something I noticed that was quite eerie.... when Korlic gets a lock on you when he Leaps, you can't move for about 1 second... very scary.. I was just barely able to port away in time on several occasions. I noticed that he was also "Spectral Hit" so maybe that's what it was.

I used the "hiding" trick I'd say about 20-25 times. You see, I had no pots at all anymore after only about 15 minutes into my long ordeal with him. If not for this trick, the Ancients would have been impassable for my Sorc.

I'm just glad this "test" is over. The black-souls in WS2 are cream-puffs compared to this.

For reference, Snow_Bunny, a Blizz/Ice-blast/FW Sorc, is untwinked - but her self-found (or self-made) gear is nothing to sneeze at:

Ormus Robe (with +3 FW)
    Suicide Branch wand
    Lore Circlet
    Rhyme Grim Shield
    rare ammy with +2 cold skills/+str/+dex/+resists
    Dwarfstar ring
    Ring with +28 fire resist and +21 life
    Rare demonhide sash with +dex/+resists/and +5 to life regen (an extremely opportune mod, based on the above battle.)
    Silkweave boots
    Magefist gloves
    charms with +resists and +life

Life with items: 793
    Mana with items: 466
    Block with items: 54%
    Chance to be hit by Korlic: 84%

FW damage: about 3500 average per second.
    Blizz damage: about 2200 average per shard (not including boost from 12 points in CM).

Here are some screenshots that show Snow_Bunny using the "hide" tactic to clarify what I'm talking about. Also, keep in mind, you need to port at least 2-3 times away, preferably when the last Ancient is at the bottom of the screen you port to the top and land behind a column. If you start running or walking again, he will see you! I'm not sure how well this works if there is more than one Ancient. I only discovered it when I was down to one. Note, that you can also port to the edge of the screen on the sides too, but that is harder to do.

port here and don't move!

or here...ouch

or even here works..is that my Merc's skelly?

dang.. out of pots completely

Korlic's mods: Extra fast/Spectral hit/Cold immune

whew, that was close!

the most extreme upper corner

hmmm... buena vista

victory at last!

I wonder if other Sorcs used similar "cast, run, and hide" tactics?

And if not, what the hell did you do?!

note: Folks who partied up with others need not reply.

Urlik

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Still trying :grrr:

3. Zertuals_Ovrlrd

Zertuals_Ovrlrd IncGamers Member

Good job on not giving up! My sorc is still a mere champion ;)

As for your trick, it's interesting, but I wonder if it works because you're simply far away, and not because you're hiding behind the pillar?

Nice write up, and nice persistance :)

Z_O

4. (Ø=M)^42

(Ø=M)^42 IncGamers Member

My sorceress was a regular Meteor/Frozen Orb (First 1.10 character, I needed a Sorceress for MFing...). I didn't care much for my mercenary, he died right away all the time. I kept respawning the Ancients untill Korlic (leap-attacker) was only Cold Immune, and Orbed the other two, then I just ran around and casted meteor North-East of their spawning place. It took quite some time, because he obviously had a lot of Fire Resist. No big deal with my (sorceress') skills. (Meteor effects a larger area)

5. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

My sorc didn't have many problems with the Ancients, but then again she was very heavily twinked and built to tank with 45%PDR, 10k defense, 75% Blocking, high ES (a real pain but a life saver), and 95/90/95/90 resists.

Her main skills were FO and Meteor, and though her damage was a bit low she could stand toe-to-toe in most fights. Her Defiance merc had a Reaper's Toll which helped a whole lot with the Decrepify.

6. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

Just curious, what equipment did you use? I assume SS and Shako, what else?

Regards,
    Kaelin

7. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

Yep, your right about those 2 :)

The other stuff:
    Guardian Angel w/Resist All jewel
    Wizspike w/Resist All jewel
    T-God's Vigor
    Infernostrides
    Frostburns
    Ravenfrost
    SoJ/Dwarf Star
    Mara's
    lots of Vita sc's, and a few Fire/Cold skillers

8. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Aside from the FE bug I never had any problems with the ancients either. (and that goes for all my chars, strangely) With my sorc I didn't even have to resort to my most cheesy strategy for killing them (crushing blow). I just had a lot of FRW and teleport. At first I'd use static to get them down a bit, then I'd run away and throw orbs at them until only the CIs remained. Then I'd try to coax my merc into engaging the remaining one. (Merc: "Oh come on! Do I really have to? Look at the size of that guy's axe! I'm freakin' scared here!" Sorc: "Shut up and fight!")

I guess my point is that if they can't hit you, they can't hurt you. As I was zipping around the screen at nearly the speed of light my sorc was pretty safe. The bad news was that my secondary spell was nova which isn't exactly awesome against single targets with a lot of life. Still, we managed to kill the last guy somehow. Surprisingly, the ancients were one of the few things my sorc (SC) didn't die to. :lol:

9. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

It's probably slightly easier dealing with the Ancients with Frozen Orb because you don't have to aim it much. Teleport a couple of times, fire off an orb, repeat ad nauseum. From what I remember of Blizzard it had to be targeted more.

When using meteor I like to create a hot patch under one of the statues (usually Korlic) before starting, then usually active the alter so he gets hit with at least one blast before moving.

Telekinesis is good for triggering the alter.

If your merc isn't wearing any "chance to curse" gear like Reaper's Toll, a wand with Life Tap charges might help him stay alive longer without burning through your pots. If he's not getting insta-killed Life Tap could probably keep him alive a while. Teleport is also useful for getting him out of trouble.

I admire your patience!

Chris

10. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

The ancients weren't that tough for me either. I was a blizzard sorc as well. Required lots of teleporting, and none of them were extra fast which helped. I also had firewall as a backup.

My merc was able to last the entire battle with only a few potions (myself as well). He's defiance with about 3000 dmg, Tal's mask and about 14k defense (ethereal gloom elite armor). It was his high defense and teleporting that kept him alive.

I was level 80 and my gear was a bit better than the gear you mentioned. Maybe I just got good mods on the ancients, but it wasn't bad at all - though I hate when they chase you around.

11. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

When I Matriarched my Blizzard/Hydra sorc it only took me about 5 attempts to get past them. I'm not sure why the particular set of mods they spawned with on that last attempt enabled me to get through, though. Anyway, having a merc with an upgraded Kelpie Snare (108-440 damage, slows target 75%) and a Toothrow armour (40% chance of Open Wounds) helped a LOT--a combination of that 75% slow and Blizzard meant the Ancients could barely move, and Open Wounds does a hellish amount of damage at the level my merc was (around 80 at the time). Once the first Ancient died, without me having had to give my merc a single potion, I knew I was going to succeed...

12. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I never had any problem with the ancients when I played my melee characters, latest was fury wolf, just standed there and hack away, didn't even have to use pot.

But I'll see how my first caster (hammerdin) does, my first caster, so I'll probably die a lot. :)

13. loverat

loverat IncGamers Member

Yep it took my CL/FO Sorc three deaths and the final battle took around 15 mins teleporting in casting FO teleporting away - my merc bit the dust early on and I couldn't be bothered restarting again.

14. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Crushing Blow/Open Wounds on an Act 2 merc. If he got hit, I'd teleport, feed him a pot. To get the open wounds started I had a Malice weapon in my inventory I'd give him (100% OW), and he had some on his gear as well. Blizzard got 2 of them, then I staticked the last, used telekinesis a lot to keep the hits down. Also, my sorc had max blocking, so I was able to tank a bit for my merc.

15. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

My sorcy took them down without a merc. She absolutely annihilated Korlic and Madawac with Fireball, then spent the next 45ish minutes working on Talic with a mighty level 8 charged bolt from some early career dueling. I thought it was the easiest fight I've had with the ancients in 1.10. I would think having viable attacks in 2 elements would make things even easier.

16. Flamearrows

Flamearrows IncGamers Member

My lvl 87 (now 89) hardcore sorceress used a merc effectively to nail the hell ancients. If you outfit your merc correctly... which for me was Tal's mask, Shaftstop and ethereal bonehew "AmnAmn" then he won't die as long as you keep on your toes. Wait until no one spawns FE, and then teleport around, orbing like an idiot, quaffing mana potions. I took a hit from all of them, but didn't die - even given that Korlic gave me a scare when my health dipped into the 500s range. When one's dead, then you can use the merc to hold one still which you wail on him with FO. The last one was FI CI, so I got into a comfortable position while the merc took him down.

My gear?

Occulus + resistance jewel
    Shaftstop
    Moser's (2 PDiamond)
    Shako
    Ravenfrost
    Dwarf Star
    Archanid Mesh
    Natalya's Soul
    Frostburns
    Mara's

1.1k life
    800 or so mana
    75% Blocking
    No defence to speak about (2k or so)
    75/75/75/35 resistances

20 FO 20 CM 20 Meteor lots in fireball and FM, one point static and tele, 3 points warmth

flamearrows

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

My highest-level sorc is in act 4 NM now, and is hardcore, and is a charged boltress, so I'm absolutely terrified of stories like this one. Also I have no advice worth giving.

Congrats Urlik!

18. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I need to get around to Mat'ing my sorc.

Level ** is fun and all, but... :uhhuh:

19. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

You must have a ton of vita charms. How in the world are you getting 1.1k life with your gear and max block (whats your mana w/o frostburns too, btw?).

20. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Get a good merc. I was really surprised when my act 5 merc survived madawc and talic combined. After i had killed them with my orb, my merc still had full life! (and he has 0% life leach) Get a good merc, get him good gear, and he'll live throughout.