how did 'RalTirTalSol' *not* make an Insight weapon?

HartAttack

Diabloii.Net Member
how did 'RalTirTalSol' *not* make an Insight weapon?

Here's what my lvl 61 necro's Act II merc has:
Insight Polearm ("Polearm" in silver letters), 'RalTirTalSol' with Level 13 Meditation Aura and all the other nice plusses that one gets with Insight, as shown on this page:
'http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Runewords'
Polearms & Staves
Level 10-17 Meditation Aura When Equipped (varies); +35% Faster Cast Rate; +200-260% Enhanced Damage (varies), etc.

That seemed to be working really well (and I like the white "dry ice" aura around the merc's feet), so I decided that my lvl 43 sorc's merc should have an Insight, too. Collected runes, found a 4 open-socket Brandistock, and carefully inserted the runes in the correct order (really, I checked it multiple times). But no Insight :(

What that merc has is simply a Gemmed Brandistock (title in silver), 'RalTirTalSol' with only the few plusses that the gems yield:
+9 min dmg; +5-30 fire dmg; +75 poison over 5 seconds; +2 mana per kill.

What did I do wrong? Is the problem that I used a Brandistock (which the merc equips just fine) rather than a Polearm? Could it be that the issue is that I was standing in the Act I Rogue Camp when I put the runes into the weapon? Some other rookie mistake?

How can I avoid messing up again after gathering more runes and a 4-socket Act II merc sort of weapon?

Aarghh !

bkkorps

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: how did 'RalTirTalSol' *not* make an Insight weapon?

spear class weapon != polearm class weapon

taxcut

Diabloii.Net Member

Ya... Insights don't work in spears... Triple check the weapon class before making runewords...

I learned this when I made a Gemmed eth mancatcher one time...

HartAttack

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah... thanks, folks. I'll be extra *extra* careful with the next one. Nice to know I'm not the first to make this kind of mistake, though (and probably won't be the last).

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah... thanks, folks. I'll be extra *extra* careful with the next one. Nice to know I'm not the first to make this kind of mistake, though (and probably won't be the last).
'Pleasure.

I once tried to build Stealth out of a Rare armor. :whistling:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

I´ve made two mistakes of this type:

'Steel' in a War Scepter. Scepters aren´t Maces...

'Strength' in a sorceress orb. Why, you ask? Well, I had an Enchantress who was only allowed to use orbs as weapons. The crushing blow and +life of Strength was appealing. Apparently, orbs are not 'Melee Weapons'.

HartAttack

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, damn. I tried it again, and failed again. 4-open-socket Voulge which clearly states: "POLEARM CLASS" So I put the 4 runes Ral-Tir-Tal-Sol in it, in exactly that order, and all I got was a Gemmed Voulge. WTF??? Do I have to be in a particular act for it to work? Does the weapon have to be in inventory (rather than equipped) at the time the runes are inserted for it to work? Or is it that a weapon that is "POLEARM CLASS" isn't necessarily a polearm? Or could it be that this char was created in 1.12 and is now no longer a "ladder" character now that the 1.13 patch is out? I'm baffled.

Yes, I checked this page again: 'http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Runewords'

And yes, I see that it says "Polearms & Staves" for making Insight.

I'm starting to think that the game is just Way Too Fussy about what can be made into a runeword item, just as Charsi is Way Too Fussy about what she'll "imbue" with extra attributes.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to gather El-Sol-Dol-Lo to make "Fortitude" armor in a 4-socket armor I have waiting in one character's stash, but I have no confidence that I'll actually GET "Fortitude" after I finally find a Lo rune. Is there some trick to this runeword stuff ?
Better yet, is there some way of right-clicking an item and asking "can I make a [whatever] with this item?" before putting the runes in it?

Jednowlosy

Diabloii.Net Member

You can create insight only on ladder character. Yours is no longer one.

Deuterium

Diabloii.Net Member

I´ve made two mistakes of this type:

'Steel' in a War Scepter. Scepters aren´t Maces...

'Strength' in a sorceress orb. Why, you ask? Well, I had an Enchantress who was only allowed to use orbs as weapons. The crushing blow and +life of Strength was appealing. Apparently, orbs are not 'Melee Weapons'.
Wow. Those mistakes are actually understandable, I wouldn't have known those either. Those are pretty counter-intuitive.

FalconGK

Diabloii.Net Member

A Brandistock is Spear class.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Spears

Insight only works on polearms and staves.
I did this too just last week with my (now NL) ladder Sorc. I got a "polearm" and Larzuk made it 4os! So I put Ral/Tir/Tal/Sol in it and no Insight. Turns out it was a "Spear" (maybe even a Brandistock like you). So I'm with you in this goof.

For the record, I think it is really bogus that spears and polearms are different classes of weapon. I'm sure this is a fairly common newbie mistake.

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member

Boy, next time you better back up your items prior to socketing...

ISayPorter

Diabloii.Net Member

My newbie mistake was trying to fill the sockets of a set item with a runeword. Duuuuuh.

fudoshin

Diabloii.Net Member

really if u want to avoid heart atack so dont be in hurry and make sure before:if u have right weapon class,right runes, right order and if u dont want to create ladder only rw on single or non-ladder char...insight is ok,but forti is more painful :)

Gorny

Banned

FYI you can't back up items, that's only doable in SP and it's not allowed in the SP Forums here anyway.