Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How could I kill magic immunes with hammers?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by CaimDark, Sep 22, 2006.

1. CaimDark

CaimDark IncGamers Member

How could I kill magic immunes with hammers?

Blessed Hammer deals magic damage, right? So how come I ran across two magic immunes and killed them with hammers? Does it have anything to do with the fact that they were both undead and the hammers deal 150% damage to undead?
    If so, that means "immunity" is in fact like 100% resistance. If that's the case, could I, for instance, kill elemental immunes with elemental damage using conviction to lower their resistance?

2. Tankmobile

Tankmobile IncGamers Member

hey were undead. The only magic immunes who are not undead are in act3, the big sweaty yeti things. and yes, using conviction, if of a high enough level, will take off resistances-hence the reason sorcs use infinity. Some monsters have a resitance to high to negate immunity through the use of conviction.

3. Velimor

Velimor IncGamers Member

I'll let someone else go into the details about monsters' elemental resistance because I don't know the exact numbers and mechanics of it. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to remove fire immunity, is it not? However, Blessed Hammer ignores the magic resistance (effectively, their immunity) of Demons and Undead. Which makes those guys in act 3 the only monsters that can't be hurt by hammers.

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Conviction and Lower Resist work at 1/5 effectiveness against immunes. Let's say that your Conviction removed a monster's resists by -100. Against a non-immune, this would work at full value. However, against immunes, this would only work at 1/5 value, or -20. An immune monster has at least 100 resists to a particular element (they could have more), which means that any monster with 119 or less resists will have their immunity broken by this particular Conviction aura, since 119-20=99, so now the monster is no longer immune since its resists has been reduced to below 100. However, if a monster had 120 or more resists, its immunity would not be broken by this particular Conviction, since 120(or more)-20>100. It just so happens that many light immunes have pretty low resists past the 100 mark, so the Conviction from Infinity can break the easily. The opposite is true with cold immunes, where many monsters of that type has overstacked resists, going into the 140's and beyond, so Conviction is less effective against them. Hope that's clear.

5. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

The Wailing Beasts in Act 3 are classified as animals, not undead. They are immune to magic, and therefore immune to your hammers.

Blessed Hammer ignores any magic and physical resistances for undead. Other monsters can still be immune.

6. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

in case people don't know, conviction does not help hammers...

even though many hdins will probably never meet wailing beasts in a3 except probably during the book quest, when they do, they will complain about not owning the wailings lol