Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How could an AH work?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Spamisgood, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Spamisgood

Spamisgood IncGamers Member

How could an AH work?

How about this?

Each person gets 10 slots per item they put up for bid and a section to enter in maybe 20 chrs of info for what they want that would be readable by anyone browsing. In these 10 slots other people place their items as potential bids and each slot is given to one person. A person could place up to maybe 10? items per slot in the event that they wanted to offer multiple items for the auction. Another nice thing they could do here, is from the auction screen, let us know if the particular bidder is online, perhaps give us a "one click" method of sending them a message if they are.

While items are being offered they would take up no space in inventory, however the owner of the auction could at anytime clear items that were offered for bid sending them back to their owners.

If you have ever played City of Heroes then the layout could be something similiar to what they have set up, with the boxes at the bottom and all.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: How could an AH work?

An auction with an item for item doesnt work: What if I wanted to have a 24 h auction, created it and went away for two days?

It will all depend on whether or not gold would have any valuë: I personally hope they will make gold as usefull as it was in the first 6 months of WoW. Not absolutely necessary , but if you wanted that epic mount you sure as hell needed it.

If they manage to make gold work like that we can just have a copy past of the WoW auction house.

The problem might be that we don't even know how the cutting the world up in regions will work out: Will there be a central european server an eastern and a western one? Just one single European? Dozens of servers? That will influence the workings of an AH quit significantly.

3. ScooterMcGee

ScooterMcGee IncGamers Member

I think AH's are great in MMORPGs... I just don't think an AH would be a great idea for a game like this(assuming a relative similarity with the previous games.)

Although your idea is probably the best possible idea(with a few tweaks here and there) if they did have one and currency(gold) was, well, worthless(again assuming the same as above). I just think an AH kind of destroys(too harsh maybe) what is alot of the fun in the game(bargaining/haggling/beggings). Since if they had one, "one on one" trading would probably wade out til it's rare to see. Also probably a more significant reason would be we are not gonna be in a persistent world really... And who knows how many servers they are gonna have, if they had an AH and it was the entire USWest for example, you'd see 300+ Shakos(D2 example), 150 HoZ, etc etc... Do you really want something like that? Could lead to gold buying or item selling sites to prosper even more. Look at WoW for example, gold buying/selling is ridiculous and the BoE stuff on AH(yes I know for epic flight mount, leveling profs, buying arena points, etc) is generally piss poor yet people buy the gold to quickly semi gear up(More so vanilla, now it's really Arena farm).

A mailbox now could be beneficial(Edit.. More I think about it, actually maybe not)... Allowing you to make trades through messages, and not joining game after game. Although scams/spam probably would arise in epic proportion, and there probably is no way to guarantee someone sends what they said they will and it would have to be a COD type WoW thing, which actually basically relates to your Item offer AH.

Hmm... 3 paragraphs my points all basically cancel themselves out, and I didn't even choose a side really.

OK... AH bad idea in Diablo... Mailbox probably bad idea.

4. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

I'd hope they won't have an AH. While I appreciate the idea of gold having value...its also kind of nice when you don't need it except for repairs..and otherwise you spend it on the likes of gambling. which comes my point..I loved the gambling system, if gold actually has a decent value/isn't too easy to get ahold of, you have just made it much harder for gambling to work. Something I'd go out and farm cash specifically just to do.

Besides..with different flavors, different feels of worlds. I think an AH style place goes right against diablo. In my opinion the better way to do it is like a small trading area. Allow a game type (perhaps persistant) where there are no monsters, no battles, no nothing..the entire idea is that its for social and trading. That would go a long way I think.

5. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

Heres how it works: You put an item at the auction house, then you select as many different packages you want for the item.

Say you are selling an Enigma. You have 2 packages that will let the person buy out the item. 3 High Runes is 1 package. The second is Chains of Honor. If you have either of those, you upload it into the buy out slot, and hit buy out. Then your items are shipped to the seller, and you get enigma

6. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

In order for gold to work, you need gold sinks. Mount training, consumables, massive repair bills after a night of raiding, whatever.

The reason why gold has no real value in D2 is because outside of repairing your equipment and gambling, it has no real use.

Unless they introduce a bunch of gold sinks, which I hope to god they don't, gold will never have value and such an AH style system won't work.

A "barter house" style system like the OP suggested sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

7. RedawgTS

RedawgTS IncGamers Member

The solution has already been found. Don't use gold in the auction house, use a proxy like the FG from d2jsp. It's sole purpose is for trading so don't make it something you can just pickup off the ground. You couldn't buy it, you'd need to trade for it. And most importantly, it's something everybody can easily understand. There's no confusion about what something costs, just look at cost of other similar items and you can see what they are selling for. Simplifying it decreases the rather steep learning curve with a bartering system.

The problem with the bartering system is that the value of an item is based on the value of another item what's value is based upon yet another item. If you don't know the value of all of these items you could very easily get screwed over in a trade. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love the challenge of this but it's just not very conducive to a good economy where everyone is involved.

Blizzard should be encouraging more players to trade not less and I think they best way they can do this is by leaving the bartering behind and switching to some form of an AH system.

8. Grunthex

Grunthex IncGamers Member

@Redawg:

Agreed! That is my biggest hope, in that going to a cash (or some kind of credit) standard, instead of all the interconnected items, you don't have to live in the game world, and know the value of everything, to recognize a good deal, or when you're getting ripped off. I know a lot of old-timers (gameplay wise, not age) really liked the item bartering, but they KNEW what things were worth with respect to each other.

It's a barrier against new entries that is easy to remove by using a proper simple-currency standard.

9. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

After reading most of the replies, not all since it's just too much right now. I have an idea. Now it may not be the best but it's an idea.

Remember everquest? Well I enjoyed the AH system they had going. But modify it so that you do not have to be online 24/7 to sell. Login to the "AH" realm, find a spot or be designated a spot, then set your items up with prices and everything. Then start selling and logout. Your character will stay there as if it were online to sell while you are away. And if all your items are sold it will logout. But this is my idea. It's kind of sketchy, but it would do the trick. And a functional search would be needed to find that item from a seller instead of running around trying to find it. Have the ability to add someone to your Favorite Seller list.

Edit: The methods we are coming up with are more from WoW if anything. This may cause issues.

10. Grunthex

Grunthex IncGamers Member

Why? As one of the developers said, a good idea is a good idea, and they reserve the right to steal from themselves. You don't throw out an idea that works just because it's already been used.

11. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

As per your suggestion, if you can only get this suggested "trading gold" from trading with other people, how will it ever get introduced into the economy in the first place?

Buying it from Blizzard is a terrible suggestion. Having it drop in game, without the appropriate sink mechanisms in place to remove it, is an even worse idea. Furthermore, if money is constantly introduced into the closed economic system, how will you control inflation?

You say that a bartering system is restrictive to new players because they do not know how much things are worth. I would respond to you by saying that your suggested system is much, much worse because long time players would continue to get richer and richer, while new players begin with nothing.

I don't see how Blizzard can establish "trading gold" as a fiat currency unless it has some intrinsic value, or, use outside of the item exchange system.

12. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

I never said throw the idea's out.

13. ReservoirDog

ReservoirDog IncGamers Member

Maybe Bnet could displays stats of recently traded items so you could get an idea of what things are going for.

14. Luhrg

Luhrg IncGamers Member

What about real-time auction house? Would work like in d2 now only you get access to everyone trading at the same time. True you would not be able to leave the game and still trade but isnt the active online trading what is fun about the d2 system?

Money could work as a currency or not, it does not affect the idea.

15. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

I have a number of ideas for money sinks that wouldn't be restrictivë:

PAying gold for high level areas with better loot drops.
    Paying gold for enchantments.
    Paying gold for purely decorative items.
    Gambling with actual use.

Stuff like that. I dont want restrictive gold sinks like the AQ repairs, if you know what I mean.

16. yalthar

yalthar IncGamers Member

An inspiration to how gold could work in D3 is the way pgems work in D2.
    The basis for their value is the sinks (crafting, rerolling skillers) and the fact that you can hold a large value compared to how much value you can hold in gold. Also you don't lose pgems when you die.

Gold could work the same - it doesn't actually matter how much gold actually drops, because prices can just adjust to that (It makes no difference if the price of a good sword is 10 goldpieces or 1 billion - it's just a number, although 1 billion is quite a bit :))
    What matters is that it's stable - give people incentives to remove it from the system.
    Also it should be technically possible to stockpile any value in gold, so you will never be forced to move to another currency system for higher priced items.
    Copper/silver/gold like systems is nice for keeping numbers less silly, but isn't essential for the mechanics of the economy.

Auction houses could be a really great thing - especially for lower level equipment. It could establish an economy where even lower level players and newbies can participate actively. As it is today in D2 it can take days to find stuff like a Kuko Shakaku for leveling up - and at the same time most people who find one simply throw it away because it can take days or weeks to sell it, even though there are lots of potential buyers.

17. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

You are absolutely right in that this would/could work the same way as pgems. The only problem with pgems as opposed to a currency of course is you are really limited to 40 pgems in a trade (except here with a trusted mule trade). But your idea is sound.

I will say again and again, currency just plain works, and is the absolute best idea. It does not limit those who wish to spend hours doing Meph type runs over and over. But this also enables players who do not particularly care for that to get more involved in the game. Some people seem to have an innate inability to think beyond themselves. They think because they enjoy doing 100 Meph runs, that is how the game should be, and that is how others should play. But beyond some diehard MF'ers many simply do not wish to play the game this way.

A currency type allows players who wish to simply play the game to accumulate value, albeit at a slower pace. I do believe that Blizzard is intending to also implement something to cut down on mule accounts. Where players can have up to 30-40 mule accounts! No more need as long as people can simply just sell the item as opposed to waiting for weeks on end to trade something.

18. imjustsomeguy

imjustsomeguy IncGamers Member

This is exactly what I want to see. If gold has a purpose in D3 it could be used along with an auction house. I liked D2 trading/bartering as much as the next guy but my experience in WoW with an auction house was much better. By paying attention to market trends, predicting item values, stock piling and such you could make a fortune without ever lifting your sword. I could spent hours sitting in the AH buying out items low in stock with a high demand and then gouging up the prices when I relisted them. Sometimes it would pay off, and sometimes someone would come along and undercut my prices by a few coins and I get stuck with 50 copper tubes or some other ridiculous item I have no use for. Either way it was great.

The best way to remove gold from the economy could be something already in place in D2, gambling.

19. Jast

Jast IncGamers Member

Actually we do have a pretty good idea from one the WWI videos that bnet won't be divided up into Realms like WoW is. They want it so that you can find your friends no matter where they are in the world, so the servers we connect to will probably be handled in the background through bnet and not something we have to choose. So if that's the case, we should be able to trade with every other player in the game.