Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How common are pks?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Von Lazuli, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

How common are pks?

Ok, tonight is my first night of Battlenet play, and I have now witnessed my first pk.... Now my question is this, how common are they? Because if I saw one in my first 30mins of gameplay, I am thinking that they are mighty common....

Now... if someone could help me build an anti pk character...

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I'd say they aren't common, unless you are talking hardcore.

I hardly ever meet one; last time was when I levelled my bowazon in nightmare baalruns and one of the players turned hostile. Wasn't very successful, since everyone just left :)

In another recent case I played in another public "Just for fun" game when someone came in and hostiled me. I ignored that one since he couldn't have a clue where I was --- there never was a party in that game, and I had never opened a TP since I got in.
    Admittedly, I was in the Pits --- if I were making a bot that teleports around looking for the players, I'd definitely include the pits early in the list.

Come to think of it... both incidents were with my Bowazon --- maybe they like Amazons more than Necromancers?

But the whole hostility thing is just a glorious example of clueless game design --- if they had done it "the other way" there would be no problems whatsoever: right now, a player can decide to enable himself to kill other players. What should be done is that a player can only allow other players to kill him... which would still allow for duelling, but kill off all the PKs.

3. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I've only seen one pk'er in the past month. they tend to pop up when someone pisses someone else off; also in bot baal run games sometimes people like to try and kill the bot. Often the bots are programmed to leave the game if they are hostiled though. As for anti-pk char, you need one that can take alot of damage, or can keep the pk'er from attacking you, like a hammerdin.

Since most pk'ers try to catch people off guard as they do a run or quest, you really just have to have a character you can bring into the game to kill the pk'er if you really feel like getting back at the guy. Personally, I just leave and find another game to join.

4. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

Funny, the only "real" PK (as in: really killed me :)) was with my Bowazon, too ;)
    Btw. it was actually a really nice guy, after killing everyone in the game he unhostiled and gave us a nice rush :thumbsup:

Most PKers are only wannabees who got pissed because of something and join with some higher level char and trying to kill someone. Not surprisingly, they mostly die before anyone else gets killed :D

I would say in softcore PK is not a real issue.

*stkrause

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I like that PKing is allowed. It's not like you lose anything other than gold and it's really gratifying when you beat the snot out of someone who thought they could take a bonemancer.

6. cynicalcat1

cynicalcat1 IncGamers Member

funniest one i remember when someone hostiled me.i was down doing baal,they hostiled me,so i loaded up the entrance to baals chamber with hydras and waited.as soon as he was near the door i let loose with my orb and 4 hydras going.made some nice gold off that. :D but it doesnt happen often.

7. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

I've been playing for years, but mostly solo on the realms. The few times I've been hostiled in public games I've either exited or tp'd/run back to town. Since my builds are strictly PvM I have no interest in dueling with someone who has built a character around PK. :D

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Pk'ing in SC is no real business. You'll meet one from time to time, but it's usually just a noob (who clicked the hostile button just to see what happens :D) or a totally bored player who's sick from 100 baalruns/day. Sometimes people will hostile you to see if you're bot (particularly if you don't respond to them in any way). Pks rarely(never) follow you somewhere, more often than not they attack in diablo or baal runs, rarely elsewhere.

HC is a different matter though. PKs and anti-pk measures are pretty serious business there. Generally if you don't like to bother with Pk's too much, don't play HC.

9. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

So I geuss I just got unlucky then. This was in Act 2 normal, soft core... Hmm...

10. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

That is bad luck indeed. What I do in these cases: In the party screen there is a button so the PKer can't hear you. Click it, and then whisper the rest of your party the name of a new game, best with a password. Most people will follow you, and no problem with the annoying PKer any more. Problem solved :D

*stkrause