Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How can you turn superior items to normal?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Pezeteros, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

How can you turn superior items to normal?

I've got a Superior Lance, ethereal.

I wanna socket it with the receipe to shoot for 5 sockets for honor, but it cannot be socketed cause it only works on normal.

Unfortunatelly the "normals" receipe only works on bad quality items and not on superior?

Can anyhow shoot for 5 sockets, perhaps via normal/NM socket quest, since it was found in NM?

or finding superior items is considered bad luck?

2. Forbiddian

Forbiddian IncGamers Member

If nothing else works, just socket it from Larzuk.

You've got a pretty decent chance of it being 5 sockets and Superior (much more valuable to duelers).

3. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I thought you had to find items in hell in order to have a good chance at 5 sockets from Larzuk.

NM usually would give 4 sockets majority of time wouldn't it?

Superior ethereal lance is still a normal item. i.e. not magical, socketed, rare, set, or unique. So cube recipe should work, but I fear it will only get 4 sockets.

4. Pezeteros

hell items will get for sure max sockets, and same with hell quest. I think rest combinations give random but there is only 1 way to find out... ^^

i cant think of any way that geting 4 sockets is more likely than 5 or 1 or any other numbers though.
    And normal items means normal normal, ie not crude, cracked, low quality or superior.

5. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

IIRC, the number of sockets you get is determined by your clvl when you socket the item. I'm not talking shenk quest, I'm talking cubing. The number of sockets is random, but the higher you are, the higher the chance for maximum sockets.

6. Pezeteros

hoho I just found an ethereal 5 socket Naga. Now I'm happy

When I see the grey naga i think to myself plz let it be ethereal so i can try my luck, but my luck was already there waiting for me :p

7. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

The cube socketing recipe gives a random number of sockets (independant of your clvl) from 1-6 for all items. However, you cannot get more sockets than that particular item allows. For example, if you roll anything from a 4 to a 6 on a Breast Plate, you'll only get 3 sockets.

Socketing at Larzuk yields the maximum number of sockets for that particular item, every time, for normal items.

The max number of sockets a (normal) item can get always depends on where it dropped from, nothing else.

8. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Oh... Ok. Here we go again. The chance for you to get 5 sockets from Larzuk on a weapon with a possible 6 is close to zero, as in very, very close to zero!

Breakdown:

Find a Lance in normal or up to about half of act1 NM = Four sockets from Larzuk.
    Find a Lance later than that = Six sockets from Larzuk.

First of all, this is all to read about on this site. Secondly, as that text *could* be interpreted differently, I can tell you from experience that the above is true unfortunately.

The thing is, a 6 possible weapon can get up to 4 sockets from Larzuk, found at ilvl ~42. However, there is no middle step for five, but all weapons found with an ilvl of 42+ *can* get 6 sockets. So, that would mean you'd have a decent chance with Larzuk? NO. Because he always* gives that maximum of sockets for the ilvl of the weapon.

However, the cubing socket recipe gives you alot better odds. Actually, it's one in six there for the Lance. I had two etheral Lances and the second one I cubed ended up with 5 sockets! But be sure that you won't get 5 sockets from Larzuk just because you find it in the "right" mlvl area, as there is no such "step" in the equation. Sorry to hear it was a superiour Lance you found, beacuse I'm 99.999999% sure you are out of luck then.

*I've heard a story about a person getting 5 socketes from Larzuk so there might be a small chance. I think NM cows were the "ultimate" place for such. But don't quote me on that. Also, I've experimented with the whole thing and even even at the lowest possible mlvl areas 42+, Larzuk has always given max, ie 6 sockets.