Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How can you tell actual Blizzard damage?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by channimal, Nov 9, 2006.

1. channimal

channimal Diabloii.Net Member

How can you tell actual Blizzard damage?

I have a lvl78 Blizzball sorc and the Blizzard damage reflected on my "C"haracter screen shows "1812-1890". Is this the actual amount of damage I'm doing? It seems really low compared to how fast I can kill monsters with my Blizzard spell.

2. crb806

crb806 Diabloii.Net Member

cold mastery makes killing easy

3. Fuzzier

Fuzzier Diabloii.Net Member

Whoa!
    By using a character planner, I can tell that you have Lv36 Blizzard with only 4 hard points in its synergies :shocked:?!
    Each one of Blizzard's synergies gives Blizzard 5% more raw damage per skill level, so max any one will double your Blizzard's raw damage.
    My suggestion is you should max at least one of Blizzard's synergies (you should get 3171-3307 cold damage then), or if you cannot spend another 18 or 19 skill points, just stick with Frozen Orb and forget Blizzard.
    You may have to reroll your sorc.

4. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard damage per shard = (Listed Damage Per Shard) * (1 + CM - CR), where CM is your % Cold Mastery, and CR is the monster's percent cold resistance. The second term (the 1 + CM + CR part) is capped at two, so you'll never deal more than double the listed damage.

Total Blizzard Damage = Blizzard Damage Per Shard * Number of Shards that hit.

5. channimal

Here's my skill stats naked and fully equipped:

20 Blizzard/31
    15 Cold Mastery/26
    2 Glacial Spike/13
    1 Prerequisites/12

20 Fireball/28
    7 Fire Mastery/15
    3 Meteor/11
    1 Prerequisites/9

I have 9 skill points unused. I wasn't sure if I should pump Fire Mastery more or load up on the synergy for Blizzard (my main dmg spell).

At lvl78, still in NM, does this look ok?

6. Noite Escura

Noite Escura Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like a try to a blizzballer build. Though I think you screwed up by adding to masteries instead of synergies. My advice would be to rebuild it. BUT if you wanna insist on that I would dump the rest of points into Meteor, otherwise your Fireball won't do damage enough for Hell.

7. channimal

is it the goal to get the masteries to lvl17 with +skills and not with hard points?

8. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet Diabloii.Net Member

The above rule only applies to Cold Mastery in certain situations.

Basically, slvl 17 Cold Mastery after +skills is the most efficient use of skill points when skill points are tight (dual-elemental builds). This is because slvl 17 CM reduces enemy cold resistance by 100%, and resistances cannot be lowered beyond -100%, so anything more than slvl 17 CM will only increase your damage against monsters that have more than 0% resistance to cold, which is a fair number of monsters in Hell, but generally not enough to justify dumping additional skill points into CM.

You also get more damage by pumping Fire Ball's synergies than you do by pumping Fire Mastery, to a certain point. Meteor, beyond being a synergy to Fire Ball, is also a very useful skill, so maxing it before Fire Mastery is highly recommended. Read through some of this thread for information on masteries, synergies, and monster resistance (which reminds me, I still have to do a final revision on that thing).

9. channimal

so.. all during this time I'm thinking I'm doing well.. damage seemed to be good..

as I read above it feels I'm hosed. :(

10. Noite Escura

Noite Escura Diabloii.Net Member

That's because you have good number of +skills equipment and you're still in nightmare. Your Blizz damage would be around 2800(rough guess) I think if you had redirected 14 points in CM to synergies, and if my calculations are correct, investing the 9 points you have to spare in Meteor, may almost double your Fireball damage. (I really can't be sure of that, but you may find a skills calculator and see for your own). I do believe late Hell will be tough with your current setup, but maybe you can do it slowly as it is.

11. channimal

<sigh> ok.. thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I'm rerolling :|