Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How can I improve AT run time?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mir, Sep 23, 2018.

1. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Seeing the thread "Hall of Records" some time ago, got me thinking and trying, again, to improve in my AT runs to get a bit closer to the times posted there. I would like to hear your opinion because I kinda hitting the wall on this subject...

Here is my AT map:

[​IMG]

At the moment my run times are ~1.30 min through all the points I marked.

1. 30-40% to spawn a pack on this spot
    2. 2-3 packs on this spot (90-95%, usually 2 packs)
    3. 20-25% to spawn a pack on this spot
    4&5. 20-25% to spawn a pack on this spot
    6. ~20% to spawn a pack on this spot
    7. ~85% for 1 pack on this spot
    8. ~90% for 1 pack on this spot
    9. (chest) 1 pack on this spot

Some info:
    1. I'm using a 70% fcr setup
    2. I like to pick up interesting rares (jewelry, boots, circlets....) & runes
    3. I don't use RWM so no insight/infinity/spirit available
    4. I can't change the map because it contain other MF targets (Andy, Mephisto, Baal) and I would like to keep it

Here is a recording of some AT runs I did recently:

Thanks in advance.

2. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the reply.

The merc does indeed use reapers toll. I will try CM, my concern in this case is the loss of safety vs dangerous packs while blindly teleporting.

As for equipment:
    Shako
    Tal belt-armor-amulet
    Magefist
    DF
    WT boots
    FCR ring and Nagel
    Rhyme

3. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I don't think it would cut more than a few seconds off perhaps, but I always telebombed a boss (but not champion packs), the merc genuinely has some good input... What player setting are you on? That will affect your speed.

Some further reading, you might find some nuggets;
    My own 5k AT runs, there are pages of discussion in there.
    Some minor AT map discussion here. I know that you don't want to re-roll your map, but if you are focusing on AT just now then re-roll it, maps aren't difficult to get again.
    A tiny bit more map discussion.
    More map discussion....

I am certain that we have an AT thread going somewhere but I just cannot find the bloody thing. If anybody has it, it would be useful. Pharphis maybe, since you've run AT about 2 million times? It might also be worth nosying through the MFO threads, you never know!

mir likes this.
  4. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

FTFY ;)

If Holy Freeze is for safety in Teleporting, I feel like it can be replaced with Shiver Armor. Might merc can then be used against the Cold Immunes, which is really the only thing that really affects the runs (IMO) as everything else dies pretty quick.

How often do you hit useless shrines? That portal shrine cost you nearly a second :p

I never got super serious with my AT Blizzard running, but more of a casual 10 hours per week for a few months while my son (now 5) was about to be born/just born. I haven't read much in that Hall of Records thread, but my instinct tells me that the ones setting those super awesome numbers aren't doing things like picking up rares, gems, charms, or anything that isn't a high rune or Tyreal's.

I can tell you that the difference between 63 and 105 FCR might not lay down much faster times, but it feels hugely different. 200 is even a big difference. A faster breakpoint might influence your playstyle though, and help you to run faster.

mir likes this.
  5. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

You're not doing too bad, just operating slowly. My suggestion is to use Telekinesis more often. It can be used to knockback/stunlock cold immunes, pick up potions straight to your belt, activate waypoints, even access your stash. The goal is to remove all the time you're not killing, and with Telekinesis you can get a lot more done in between Blizzard timers and eliminate that slow trodding up to the corpse to loot potions in between fights.

mir and galtwish like this.
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's a collection of small issues which might slow you down. Here's a list of what came to my mind right now, probably incomplete:
    1. /players 1. Boss drops don't increase at higher settings and that's why you are there.
    2. Have a good map, with a short way from the waypoint to the AT and an AT map with no dead ends and that leads you back to the entrance when done (aka circular map). It saves a lot of time if you can go back to the waypoint quickly and from there to act 4 (or 5 if you want to visit Pindle afterwards... which I recommend) instead of running through half of the act 2 town on the next run.
    3. Have enough free space in the inventory to pick anything, I think 4 spaces high and 2 spaces broad place is OK. I also like to have the cube with me as well.
    4. Have ID and TP tomes with you. You don't need that space for more charms. You don't want to TP back to town, run to Cain for identification, throw away half of it and go back to resume MFing if you can do this with one mouse click. You also don't want to go back to the waypoint instead of TPing back if you found more than you can carry.
    5. Only pick up worthy stuff:
    • Don't pick up gold, perhaps except what champions drop.
    • Don't pick up scrolls and keys. It's far quicker to buy a pack of them in town than to pick up one 20 times.
    • Don't pick up runes you don't need. For me, that's everything below Ko, except enough Sol and Ral runes for crafting and those low runes I used up on something recently. I stopped picking up Spirit runes because I have a couple of unused 35% Spirit shields and another few dozens of unused Spiritrune sets. I'm still keeping all Hels, however.
    • Don't pick up most magical items. The chance for having a result worth keeping is abysmally slow. Exceptions: Charms, jewels, mulets and claws. I have to admit that I'm often not heeding that rule myself, by checking druid and barb helms and amazon javelins.
    • Don't pick up most rares. I think it's only useful regarding gloves, circlets, boots, claws, rings, jewels and perhaps belts. I think it's not worth it regarding amulets BTW because almost all good ones need +2 to skills and that needs an affix level of 90 which only stuff from Diablo, Nihlathak, Baal and gambling can have. Some rare weapons or other items can be awesome, but the chances are very low. If you just dislike the thought of missing it rather than looking forward to putting it to use, then I suggest not to waste time on that. I admit that I'm not 100% consequent in this respect as well, however.
    • Don't pick up uniques and set items of which you know that they are crap. If they are rare, strike them off your grail list or pick them up for the trophy room. As said, they are rare, so it won't happen that much anyway.
    • Don't pick up rather common uniques of which you know that you have enough on your stashes.
    • Don't pick up gems below flawless.
    Edit: Rare circlets and claws.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    mir likes this.
  7. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

Not even picking up huge stacks of gold, Full Rejuvs, and you're not using 1-4 for potions.

Absolutely savage.

8. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

2 should be used for scrolls or tp instead ... ;).

9. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks all for your advice.

I changed the gear to reach 105 FCR and gave the merc CM instead of Reapers, I also changed the pattern of runs. There is a small improvement in run times (1:20 avg) but still need to practice more and maybe stop checking all the locations every run.
    Next step will be counting boss packs/sec to see were I stand.

10. Apila

Apila Diabloii.Net Member

Someone already mentioned that you should be using Telekinesis more often. Really, as a Sorceress you generally don't want to walk at all or at least very little. Activating the waypoint and any chests/piles with TK can really improve your time. Should be noted that you cannot activate the WP with TK from too far away, but you'll find that 'sweet spot' where to cast it from pretty quickly.

11. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Finally got around to watching the video. I have a couple of pointers and while some of the advice above I agree with there's definitely some I find pointless.
    • 63%FCR is enough, I would only go 105% if I were using Spirit Shield, which you don't have access to.
    • Get Max Block. Preferably with Stormshield. Further down you'll understand why this is important.
    • Get a better CtA. Get more life SC's. It may just be me, but 1300 life is not enough for the improvements I'm about to suggest.
    • Play aggressively. Cast Blizzard, immediately switch to Ice Blast and namelock the boss. If you don't have a clear sight (other monsters blocking Blasts etc.) telebomb the boss. If the pack doesn't seem dangerous (Fana/Might/Cursed/Conviction) telebomb regardless. As soon as you see a boss is CI telebomb and try to get the merc to focus it, clear minions distracting him ASAP.
    • Avoid using Glacial Spike as much as possible. Generally the build should be 20 Blizzard, Ice Blast, Ice Bolt, enough in CM for -135% (IIRC highest natural cold resistance in the AT is 33%), Rest in Spike or FOrb if you feel like Blizzard is doing enough damage. Ice Blast is key.
    There are a lot of general things slowing you down as well
    • When entering a game use hotkeys; Click Single Player; Enter key; H key
    • Use TK for Act I WP, Ancient Tunnels trap door
    • Avoid healing potions. Get Juv/Juv/Mana/TP
    • Get more mana in order to pick up less potions (Better CtA helps in this regard as well)
    • Don't slow down teleporting to see if there's a bosspack, rather TP as fast as possible and backtrack if you TP past a bosspack (mainly for 20-30-40% of the time spawns, or in other words inconsistent spawn points)
    • Fill up inventory space and use the Cube to pickup items. This way potions pickups are MUCH faster. You just spam the boss' drop and your belt fills up the empty slots. No inventory clearing needed.
    • Get Prayer Merc to refill the life bulb. I prefer it for the comfort of running and the less need of healing potions. HF is useless for AT. Get Might otherwise.
    I'll add more if I think of any.

Only thing I would change of this equipment is:
    Rhyme -> Stormshield
    Nagel -> High Mana Rare/SoJ

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    mir likes this.