Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How bad was D2 when it came out?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by whathappen, Apr 5, 2004.

1. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

How bad was D2 when it came out?

I was interested in Sacred, which has the same style of play as D2 and developed by some ex-Blizz employees. But after looking at gthe horror stories from players particularly multi-player I decided to wait and see if it improves. Which brings me to the question: how was D2 when relased? I got it 1 year after thew releaswe (and never played D1), and obviously it was already very refined, stable multi-player, etc. But how was in the first days after its release?

2. Hoyunah

Hoyunah IncGamers Member

I remember back then they didnt have your accounts on Battle.net but it was saved on your computer so all these hackers *** jus alter their files and everyone had pretty elite stuff. But when it started there wasnt any Exceptional or ELite uniques i dont think. That was wen everyone wore Goblin Toes. I dont really remember alot since i didnt seriously start playing till 1.08.

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

The game itself was fine (of course TOTALLY differently balanced than today, and "fine" is a relative term) but the bnet servers were a MESS. Lag, drops and basic mayhem were the rule. Things didn't really settle down until 1.02 or 1.03, although that was long ago so I can't much remember.

EDIT: D2 always saved chars on realm, you are thinking of D1.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I bought the game 2 or 3 months after it came out and they were already on 1.03 or 1.04, can't remember, I don't remember much from that year, but there were problems that needed to be ironed out

5. SuggestiveName

Dude, every patch had its problems needing ironing, including the current one.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

ya, and? he asked I'm answering, Dude.

7. SuggestiveName

The Dude abides.

8. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I remember signing on battlenet the day it came out. There was so much lag it was rediculous. I remember doing the den with my very first amazon and everyone was like OMG THIS IS SOOO AWESOME. It wasn't really too bad because everyone was so used to diablo 1 which was hacked to hell.

9. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

Heh, I bought the game when 1.08 was released, and didn't have any problems with it.

10. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

I put Sacred through its paces so I think I can give you some useful information. I played two different characters in Sacred up to level 30+ and fiddled around briefly with a few more.

1) Bugs: When Diablo 2 came out, Battle.net was indeed laggy and prone to having issues. The stress test just couldn't have predicted the enormous popularity of closed realm play. However, the game itself was SOLID. If you played offline single player, open multiplayer (open or tcp/ip) you were fine. The game worked beautifully.

Sacred's closed "a.net" is a horrific experience. It isn't just lag and issues related to popularity. The code is so buggy there have been problems like: people seeing other characters as stick figures (yes, stick figures), frequent character save file corruption, unsolveable quests, and more.

Perhaps worst of all, in Sacred's closed play you cannot create your own games. Ascaron creates a certain number of games and that's it. You either join a game in progress or you don't play. Furthermore, since there are no level restrictions on games, you can join a game as a level 5 player and it can be filled with level 80 players. Players of that level are common since there are so many exploitable bugs that there are already people level 120+.

Or even worse, sometimes you cannot even find a game that doesn't have pretty much everything good wiped out. It is VERY lame.

Sacred's single player and open multi player are also buggy as hell. Quests break FREQUENTLY. I would estimate that about 30% of the quests I attempted would break when it came time to complete them. Horses (which are supposedly one of the key features of the game) are coded so badly they are virtually worthless. Dismounting is buggy and often doesn't work until the 6th time you click the dismount button (all the while, you're getting whaled on) and in multiplayer sometimes your horse breaks so badly that you cannot even use it until you reboot the game.

2) Gameplay: You already know Diablo 2's gameplay so I won't go into that.

Sacred's gameplay is shallow and limited. Each class has 15-20 abilities but that is deceptive. Generally, 3 or 4 of them (at least) are generic abilities that are shared with numerous classes (hard hit, multi hit, attack, and a few others). There is no mana but instead every ability has a recharge time (you use it once and then you cannot use it for another X seconds). This is the case even for melee abilities. You can create "combos" which are basically just macros that allow you to use an ability 2 to 4 times in a row. After that, the combo/macro has a regen time of 1-2 minutes.

Worst of all, you start with 1 ability hot key and you gain more as you level up. You max out at 5 hotkeys. Yes, that's right- just 5 hot keys. Since you have to use combos if you ever hope to win a battle, you are basically looking at never being able to have more than 2 or 3 abilities hotkeyed (2 or 3 hotkeyed not as a combo, and then 2 or 3 combos).

This makes being a mage with 20 spells pretty darn useless since most of them you cannot conveniently use at all.

It also doesn't have a "quick menu" for abilities so you cannot use them that way either.

While I'm talking about the hotkeys, they are also non configurable. Your ability hotkeys are HARDCODED to 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. IMHO those are very inconvenient buttons to hit with your left hand since your left hand also needs to be hitting TAB (for the map) and ALT (for items) just like in Diablo 2.

I could go on but I'm already getting pretty verbose.

Oh, before I forget: NO FORMER BLIZZARD/DIABLO EMPLOYEES WORKED ON SACRED.

Sacred was created by a German company called Ascaron. They are total n00bs and it showed. I would go into some of the exceptionally sleazy and deceitful things Ascaron has already done but that would make this post even more of a novel.

All in all, Sacred is Yet Another Crappy Attempted Diablo Clone. It is amazing to me that so many people in the world love to rag on D2 for being "simplistic" and yet nobody can seem to rip it off to make anything even 1/100th as good.

The final thing I will mention is this:

Playing Sacred for a few days is what made me decide to re-install D2 after having not played it for 6-12 months.

I'm having a BLAST with D2 and will be uninstalling Sacred and selling it back shortly.

I'd say that right there speaks volumes about Sacred.

11. TheHillbilly

TheHillbilly IncGamers Member

The first day D2 was realesed, Blizzard had already realeased patch 1.01.

then 1.02. There was a major bug that wouldn't let you reach the canyon of the magi.
    The Lag was horrible, so I mostly stuck to single player.

It didn't take long for people to find exploits in skill combinations (blood golem+IM), and Blizzard was quick to react harshly.

But it was still f***ing amazing.

12. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

Hey Cambios, thank you for the details. I am changing my intesrts on Sacred from "wait and see" to "forget it".

13. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

You're welcome. If you or anyone else has more questions about Sacred I can glady answer them. I didn't even scratch the surface of its glaring and horrendous flaws.

Glad I was able to save you from a wasted $40. :)

14. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I did buy D2LOD so it was already polished by that time to provide hassle free play. And it was a lot of fun.

Now it seems that the innitiational post was to compare D2 problems when it came out to Sacred and make a buying decision. Here's how I see it.

There are no actual statistics as to how many customers who can't get the game to run at all vs. the players who are able to play it.

Buying Sacred is like a crap shoot. There's a chance you'll get snake eyes. So far my friend and I are enjoying it, even Anet, which seems to have stable games, once you find one. Only had the broken quests happen once, but the game was still playable.

Quest bugs and disconnection do happen but that hasn't stopped myself from playing it, however if a person is easily irritated by bugs :rant: , then it's definitly not for them.

15. Kim

Kim Banned

d2 was horribly bugged up until .06 which imo was the perfect patch. :cheesy:

16. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

Thanks for this post. I was almost going to buy it, but it looks like the game has the same limitations as dungeon siege. Why cant they make a game with decent hotkeys? Maybe I should try Neverwinter again, although most rpg piss me off because of a the conversations ;)

17. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

You just saved me money, too. Please post more of your experiences - perhaps in a separate thread, or in the OT forum?

18. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I would add that the "bug" involved the somewhat ridiculous premise of killing the summoner, entering the red portal, and then NOT getting the Canyon of the Magi waypoint or continuing on to kill Duriel and move into Act 3.

All you needed was someone who had the waypoint to TP you there. There WAS workarounds to the problem, IIRC.

Whether the Sacred bugs are truly gamebreaking without workarounds is yet to be seen. If anything, Diablo proves that if there IS an exploit, people will abuse the living heck out of it. See: IM+BG, and more recently, the Marrowwalk bug. Diablo had some nasty cheese early on (and still does), but whenever there was a new patch all the old characters became instantly worthless like maxed GA burizons in 1.10. I do recall some rather sweet cheese, but don't recall anything TOTALLY unfair and game-breaking. Of course, I guess that depends on your point of view.

I suppose if you wanted to stretch the truth somewhat, one could call Baal runs an exploit. Makes it rather easy to get level 75, after all.

19. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Yeah I have the ISO of the European version so I'm definitely going to play soon.

20. MerLock

MerLock IncGamers Member

I would say wait and see if it improves. There are too many bugs right now to have a fun multiplayer experience in my opinion. It's a fun game if u like to explore a huge world at a slow pace. But if u like doing diablo type runs then this game might not be for you.

And this game is pretty bugged especially the quest portion of it. According to the latest patch, the stick figure problem is suppose to be fixed already and they are currently working on the broken quests that is occuring. So i would say give it sometime.

I was one of the first pple to buy d2 when it first came out. Even bought it before i got a computer that could run it. But got tired of it coz it was so repetitive and the game could be finished so quick (and tats with exploring the entire region). But with sacred, the world is so large. At first i wanted to play some game like everquest or final fantasy online coz i was looking for a large world to explore but didn't want to pay a monthly fee to play and sacred delivered on that.

Again, i think they could've done better with character skills. Like mentioned before, some of the skills tat one character has , others also have it so not much uniquness to each of the characters cept for the look. But i like it tat so far there is no character cap and that way u don't have to worry about where to distrubute points and redoing a character for waste of pointing a point to something.

And with the powerful skills u have, i doubt u woudl need more than the 6 hotkeys required coz right now the game is really unbalance and all u really need is 2 good skills to get through the game.

I say the game has potential and say give it some time to see if all the bugs get patched. Check their forums out often for patch release and wat's being worked on. Wat i like about their site is that they have their own forums and the developers has a weekly update on the patch fix.

Only thing i was disappointed with was when i opened the box, the game came in paper sleeves instead of a jewel case. Kinda cheap from wat i saw. oh well.

Be playing counter strike, d2 and sacred until half life 2 comes out.