Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How bad is blaze?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Fuzzier, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

How bad is blaze?

Never seen anyone use it.
    Is it really that bad?

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

It's not teh-ub4r-pwnzorz, and on this forum if it's not uberpwn, it doesn't tend to get much love.

Blaze is a Hell-viable skill. It won't kill quickly, and it'll be... an adventure, let's say... but it's Hell-viable. I've beaten the game with a Blaze Sork. You'll never be mistaken for a Meteorber, though.

The thing with Blaze is that, if you use it improperly, it's just like a cruddy firewall. Proper use of Blaze involves throwing on gobs and gobs of Faster Run/Walk, hiring a Harmony Merc, and stacking Blaze patches 10-deep. If you run back and forth on the same patch of land, you keep laying down new Blazes, and enemies on that patch will take the full damage from all Blazes. That's your money move- if you don't stack your blaze, you'll be a VERY slow killer.

I do have to say, Blaze Sorcs, though a bit underpowered, are an absolute blast. I've also never seen ANY build that takes down Andy or Diablo with such ease. For Andy, just trigger blaze and run circles around the pool of blood while she chases. For Big D, go in with a friend, activate 4 of the seals, and then stack flames 40-deep where Diablo spawns while your friend pops the seal. Duriel is another easy boss, but Mephy and Baal are both a real hassle, since there's no way to reliably get your blaze under their feet.

3. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Lol must be hilarious to see andy walking in circles over the fire.

4. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

I'm going to build a blaze sorc then, it should be fun!
    Oh yes, the merc should be a rogue who doesn't hold monsters, so they can follow me.
    Mephy will follow, so not much problem.
    Baal... the crab doesn't like to move much...

5. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

One thing I've been thinking of but most often ended up like "nah it's not gonna work" is having blaze as an active secondary skill much like thunderstorm since it doesn't take all that many skill points to max up.

Any build this could work for? like putting the spare pts in Blaze with a fb-sorc or a fo-sorc? Or could it maybe be used to annoy ppl in pvp (or do you have to be teleing too much to leave a trail?)

6. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I like to do that in normal, if my build has it as pre-req

One good approach, and someone was willing to try that some time ago, is to have both Firewall and Blaze maxed as well as Fire Mastery. That way you can use FW for stationary monsters. Still grants you enough spares to invest in something like Orb for immunes...

7. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Yeah, a Firewall/Blaze/Orb Sorc should be very much viable. As Noite says, the biggest difficulty is stationary monsters. Good luck trying to roast archer-types with Blaze (it's doable, but it's a lot of work- you have to lay fire behind them, and then chase them into the fire, and then back off and let them roast). Firewall and Frozen Orb would give you dual-elemental attacks to take care of stationary monsters. You'd probably also have enough skill points left over that you could boost your TK and make a mid-level ES, or else you could even synergize the Frozen Orb.

8. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

I did Hydra/Blaze/Orb, whereas Fire Wall would have made a better skill than Blaze due to the fact that its easier to max out, and dishes out tons of damage compared to Hydra.

Blaze is mostly fun, and its not the worse skill you can use in Diablo II.

9. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Blaze is a very cool skill, but for practical purposes (killing monsters) it's highly tedious without lots of -fire res. However, with access to infinity, hoj, phoenix, and a lower resist wand, you'll see much more dramatic results.

Blaze would be much more useful if you could "draw" a ring or a shape around the enemy and once the fire connects, the empty space in between quickly fills up with fire.