Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How are you saving money?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

How are you saving money?

I always though having 6 months of cash on hand would be sufficient. But given the rising prices of food and gas along with the state of the economy, I am thinking about increasing that amount to 9 months. Of course this puts a hamper on things, since I was thinking I can go on a nice vacation this summer. I am moving into a rental house and will be sharing with roommates. This will lower my monthly rent and gas usage as the house is located quite close to work. In fact I can ever walk to work. I also though about decreasing the amount of money I put into 401K, currently 20% contribution to 10 - 15%. The reason is that I want to get to that 9 month goal quickly. Money in 401K cannot be touched unless I want to pay a stiff penalty. Cutting down on eating out shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So the question is, how are you saving money right now? Have you stepped it up? Status quo?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Re: How are you saving money?

Lightbulbs are a pretty easy way to cut your bill, I hate the compact fluorescent bulbs, but the LED bulbs are pretty nice.

Keeping large items that don't really need to be refrigerated out of the fridge helps too. Things like 2 liters or cans, things you can pour over ice or something.

I'm sure you already know this, but throttling your system when you aren't using it or turning it off is a huge help.

3. th5418

th5418 Banned

I bring food to school for lunch everyday now. Starting to time my showers to under 15 minutes. Turn off lights when not needed. Not use any of my paycheck.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Even when my hair was long my showers didn't take 15 minutes. . .what the hell are you doing? I can shower in under 5 minutes easy.

5. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

*inches* away from KOW.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't stink, I just don't stand around in the shower doing nothing. Hair, face, body. It just doesn't take that long.

7. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I really don't see it as urgent enough to be cutting back your 401k contributions. That's a lot of money you'll be missing down the road. You also don't want to get used to the extra cash.

Just save a bit more each paycheck until you get to your 9month savings.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

Showers include waiting for some hot water.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Even then I'm betting under 5 minutes. How long can it possibly take for you to get hot water?

10. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

I find not spending it to be the best way.

11. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Well you got to eat right?

12. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Yes but a starvation type diet is good for your health long term - I'm a 1 meal a day guy. Pay off any Debt you have that gets charged a higher rate than the 401k earns.

13. Widan

Widan IncGamers Member

Bring your lunch to work
    Don't smoke cigarettes

14. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Cancel internets. Sell playstation 3 and wii. Cancel cable tv. Cancel cell phone service. None of it is absolutely needed.

Quit smoking pot and drinking beer.

Eat tv dinners and ramen.

15. th5418

th5418 Banned

Our water heater isn't exactly the best. Getting hot water takes about 2-3 minutes.

16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I accuse th5418 of being a shower masturbate(o?)r.

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

By having a baby and no longer spending lots of money on expensive dinners and vacation travel and stuff. The cash just sort of piles up in various accounts, until such time as the baby becomes a teenager and begins demanding a share of it.

18. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

The number one way I've saved money is by not eating out. It's unbelievable how much it costs to pay someone else to make your food.

19. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

I know there are savings to be done there, but how fast are you burning through normal bulbs provided you use them? I moved in to our current apartment over two years ago, and I don't recall replacing bulbs since we came in; the 20-odd bulb batch cost something like maybe 8 euros at the time I bought it in 2004 and has something like 14 bulbs left. Oh, and on the subject of long-lasting products, I think I've bought a grand total of two dishwashing liquid bottles during the time. Some of the stuff you expect to run out just keeps on giving.

It's fun in there. It's like asking a guy who drinks or smokes why they did it if there were no health disadvantages.

Seeing as ol' Borty deems the shower inhabitants to be having other kind of jollies than I had in mind, I better not disclose my leisure time in shower in addition to my already extensive sauna-ing (not having a proper verb for that blows, "going to sauna" just does not cut it. I'm not going there, I'm doing it [OK... NOW Bortaz thinks I'm humping the stove too. Yay me.]).

I would disagree with the cellular phone part, perhaps depending on one's place of residence. It's really hard to get to get even a low-income, crappy job in here at least without providing contact information phone number included, and it's not like anyone has a table phone anymore. This is doubly true if one is doing temp jobs or gigs on a short notice.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

In the military you learn to shower in under 30 seconds with more efficiency than 15 minutes.

I dunno about you but I've found that there are plenty of things and more to replace spending that money on.

I know of only one person who doesn't have a table phone and he's hardly ever at home. I will agree with you that a lot of "real" jobs require immediate contact abilities, though.