How about steerable minions?

Sein Schatten

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How about steerable minions?

The thing is I really want something like this for mercs too. How many times have you had to tp back to town to revive your merc cause you couldn't tell him to stand down when he got hit by iron maiden. Is there really a point to that? It just slows down the gameplay. I don't think it's unreasonable to think a character would call out to their mercenary and tell them to stand down or give other types of orders like that. I don't think we should go too far into micromanaging but a few simple commands would be nice.
I totally agree. That the merc is so dumb really annoys me. One curse and you are back to town. Just tell him to not attack is enough. That way, mobs might still attack him but he won't kill himself with IM.

imjustsomeguy

Diabloii.Net Member

In Titan Quest you can click on a pet portrait and tell them to go anywhere or attack any target. While it seems like a cool feature I hardly ever use it. It's just too much micro management when you have multiple summons and are busy using your spells to attack.

In the game Overlord you command a ton of imp like guys. You can have them attack a single target and return at any time. By holding down both mouse buttons you lose control of your character and your mouse literally steers the mob of summons. It works well for Overlord but I don't see it happening in D3. There's just too action to bother with it.

One thing that bothers me in TQ is how my pets run off and attack targets I don't want them to. They will go all the way off the screen (even with high resolution) and pick a fight with something while I'm waiting for a cooldown or when I'll be trying to go the opposite direction. In D3 I would like to see something similer to what WoW has done with pets: Passive, Defensive, and Agressive settings (similer to the formation option mentioned above).

ill logic

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the inability to focus the attacks of all your summons tends to dramatically reduce a summoner's killing speed. I like the Attract idea but I'd prefer if it weren't a skill in a tree per se, but rather something you always had like the Nec's "Unsummon." If it must be a choosable skill, it should have a secondary effect IMO.

Re-summoning next to the target is cumbersome--too mana consuming and slow.

imjustsomeguy: That sounds cool but do you think WoW's system would be sufficient? We're talking about fighting 12+ monsters at once, or if you're bold, running into the middle of a room with 30-50 monsters!

imjustsomeguy

Diabloii.Net Member

imjustsomeguy: That sounds cool but do you think WoW's system would be sufficient? We're talking about fighting 12+ monsters at once, or if you're bold, running into the middle of a room with 30-50 monsters!
My thinking was that I would be so consumed with casting terror, mass confuse, zombie wall, as well as all the direct damage attacks while dodging demons to worry about managing individual summons. The action from the game video seems to be pretty fast pace. I can see how an option for focus fire amoung summons would be useful though. I personally like self sufficient undead mongrels :propeller: but I suppose with more options comes more forms of gameplay.