Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How 3 months can change your life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

How 3 months can change your life

A few years ago my philosphy on life became things happen for a reason, though the reason may not be apparent immediately. Since then, I've gone through example after example of why I believe this. Most recently a drawn out series of events over the last few months has completely changed what my path through life will be.

While registering for this semester, I had to get myself above 12 units to be full time. I got the two classes I needed, then had a choice between video game development (4 units) and graphic design (2 units). Only video game development got me above 12, so I registered for that. Then I waited for the results of my spanish placement exam...

This is my last semester of college. I put of my spanish placement exam all the way until December of last year (2.5 years of procrastination), confident I'd place into spanish 3, or completely out (I need 3 semesters). I placed into spanish 2, 5 points shy of placing into 3. At a glance, that meant I wouldn't be graduating this May, and I'd have to take a summer class. Long story short, I fought it, and got into spanish 3.

I was pissed that I didn't place out completely, but having to take spanish 3 meant that I'd be above 12 units regardless. Therefore, I dropped video game development and added graphic design, simply because I didn't feel like doing any more programming, despite the fact that I planned on being a video game designer for my career.

Funny how things work out. 3 months later, I talk to my graphic design professor on the way out of class tonight and ask if he knows any good places to look for beginning graphic design positions. He names a few websites, then says "or you could work for me." I had gotten the idea about a month ago of asking him about this, but he beat me to it. He followed with "I've been watching your work, and it's really good. I planned on asking you within the next few weeks."

Wow. What a compliment. So this semster presented me a fork in the road, and I took the path that I hadn't even considered for the entirety of my college career. So if this works out, I'll be working for this company (my prof is the owner) starting in May.

So next time you ask yourself "why did this have to happen?!?" don't fret; something grand might come from it down the road.

2. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Wow...that is really cool.

So, you and this prof are good buddies?

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Ya, it's a small class, so it's really personal and there's a lot of 1-on-1 talk. We've had a chance to become friends over the semester.

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Congrats!

I am wondering about benefits though. Are you getting health care and things like that?

But, I understand what you are saying. Tomorrow is never set and if we worry about it too much we just go insane.

5. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Not to burst your bubble but that isnt anything special about the forks or whatever.

Grats on the job offer though, supreme compliment.

6. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Congrats on the job dude.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Congrats Ev_!

If only something half that good happens to me when I graduate. :)

8. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Life does sometimes give you Roses ;)

Best of luck on your new job!

9. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I'll be getting details next week. Probably not a whole lot of benefits, but I'm not terribly worried.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Everything always leads to something better. I moved to Boise for a new job and got laid off after two months. A month later (I dorked around a bit and learned the area) I land the job I have now. That was 5 years ago :thumbsup:

11. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Life gave you lemons, and you squeazed the lemons right in life's eyes. Great job and good luck, Ev_.

12. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Yes, interesting story and glad you had good luck. Don't let it fool you, though. Sometimes life craps on you for no good reason, too. You need to take a hand in guiding it or it will go down the drain.
    Not meaning to seem pessimistic, just realistic.