Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hot-muling with ATMA

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by linkato1, Mar 7, 2004.

1. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Hot-muling with ATMA

Read the GAT FAQ and stated to wonder what is the view of SPF on hot-muling with ATMA.

I use it as I hate to save and exit for just muling because it would mean that new monsters would spawn up on already cleared areas.

Because the muled off items stay also with the character I just drop them onto ground and leave them there. Let's face it, I could sell them and keep the money but it's true that I could cheate in solitaire too.

So what do you think?

Yours: Topi

2. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

The only time I ever hot mule with ATMA is when a Gheed's Charm drops. The rest of the time, I don't do it. It is not too hard anyway to leave the game and drop the items. One just has to make sure his/her chest is totally free.

3. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

What do you mean not too hard to leave.

Let's see.

I've just cleared whole Upper Kurast and first level of sewers. I'm in second level of sewers and my inventory and stash are full with more to keep on the ground.

I save & exit. Mule off some items. Go back to the game and presto: Sewers 1 and Upper Kurast are full of monsters, all stashes ulooted etc.

What was the point on full clear?

4. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

You find items while questing?_? :scratch:

Since I only ever fill up my stash when I'm doing runs, It's no problem to s&e after a run. I do hot-mule for Gheeds however (Just got a 38%, can't leave that on the ground!).

Regards,
    Kaelin

5. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

The SPF as a whole seems ambivalent on the issue. I, personally, consider it a cheat. The rest of ATMA's functions merely expedite other things possible in SP, while hot-muling is an otherwise impossible ability. The only way to guard against losing a second Gheed's Charm, for instance, would be to play only TCP/IP games and invite a friend once you find such a charm--but that carries the penalty of constantly rerolling your maps. Hot-muling circumvents these difficulties with a third-party function, so I believe it counts as a cheat.

6. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

You can still do full clears of inidividual areas and then exit the game. I do not see why it is important to be in a map that is fully cleared everywhere. :scratch:

7. ChickenOfPower

ChickenOfPower IncGamers Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is hot-muling???

8. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

"Hot-muling" refers to the practice of using ATMA to transfer items from a character currently in a running game of Diablo II. This is possible because D2 saves your character frequently even if you do not "Save and Exit." Since D2 does not read the save file while the game is running, however, ATMA's removing it from the character has no effect in-game, and the item is duplicated. If you want to avoid creating a dupe, the character muled from needs to drop the item and let it vanish from the ground.

9. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Don't know. Just style of play.

If I have to stop playing I clear the area I'm in and rush to find the next waypoint. The next time I start the game I clear the area with that waypoint.

I like to walk freely in the game, knowing that there is no enemy lurking round the corner. Maybe thiis is because I play HC.

10. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

why would you assume that completing the quests and picking up items are mutually exclusive? for some of us, it's just playing the game normally to pick up items as we quest.

11. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

Oh, I pick up items while questing, staffs etc to sell, I just don't seem to get anything worth keeping, but maybe I just have no luck..

Regards,
    Kaelin

12. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

i suppose 'worth keeping' is a relative term. I tend to keep a lot of things for possible use later such as all charms, jewels, gems, runes (even the low level ones & chippies), most multi-socketed items, anything with any + to skills, decent rares to maybe upgrade, etc. stashes fill up very quickly this way, even w/o specifically MFing.

13. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

It makes a big difference if you already have a good stash. I just started muling, so I pick up lots of stuff that I will probably ignore when I play future characters. I only have 2 unique items right now, so a lot of the rares look good enough to keep. I suppose when my stash is full of uniques and sets, I'll walk past the rares (actually, I'll take them to town and sell them for gambling money)