Hot Muling anyone?

Ravenclaw

Diabloii.Net Member
Hot Muling anyone?

This question is especially for HAkai i guess...

Can someone please explain the process of hot muling in Atma...??? i cant seem to find a decent explanation anywhere.

thanks in advance...!

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
As I understand it:

Say you find a Gheed's Charm (we'll call it GC1) but you can't pick it up because you already have another Gheed's Charm (GC2) in your inventory. Hot muling is the process of alt-tabing out of the game without Save & Exiting your character, moving GC2 to a stash where it will be safe, returning to your character where you then drop GC2 (since a duplicate is in a stash now) and in it's place take GC1. You can now Save and Exit, reopen ATMA and you should have both charms available.

This process is frowned upon my many players here, though not explicitly outlawed. Like always, you should make it known to potential traders, etc. if you do something along these lines.

edit: D'oh. As usual I'm too slow.

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
The important thing is to drop the (now duped) items. Don't even sell them. Just drop them and leave them to rot.

That's why it's frowned upon, because people make mistakes, and sometimes items are accidentally duped.

If you're cautious, it shouldn't impact gameplay too much. But it's not really useful to begin with, unless you find a Gheed's. Personally, I still log out and mule.

-GG

DougTheHead2

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally, I would just drop the old one without alt-tabbing and grab the new one. When you're done, open up a backup with the old charm and resurrect it. I think its "cleaner" (to me of course) this way.

When I say open a backup, I'm talking copy the .XXX (stupid memory! w/e the backup is) and paste it somewhere else (say desktop). Rename it d2s, take off the gheeds, delete the file, wala. (didn't want to confuse you there, cause an overwrite in your d2 folder :eek: )

EDIT: I must chip in the above is not tested, as I have not been lucky enough to find 2 gheeds yet (i blame durf).

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
DougTheHead2 said:
Personally, I would just drop the old one without alt-tabbing and grab the new one. When you're done, open up a backup with the old charm and resurrect it. I think its "cleaner" (to me of course) this way.

When I say open a backup, I'm talking copy the .XXX (stupid memory! w/e the backup is) and paste it somewhere else (say desktop). Rename it d2s, take off the gheeds, delete the file, wala. (didn't want to confuse you there, cause an overwrite in your d2 folder :eek: )

EDIT: I must chip in the above is not tested, as I have not been lucky enough to find 2 gheeds yet (i blame durf).
more work than it's worth and not very effective since you can't be sure that the game has saved your newest find.

Ravenclaw

Diabloii.Net Member
i had a different impression altogether...

i thought there was some way you could dump your stuff into atma without quitting the game - y'know, when your stash AND inventory is chock-full, and you need to generate space for that super item which just dropped...???

i am wrong, no?

phatbrava

Diabloii.Net Member
Ravenclaw said:
i had a different impression altogether...

i thought there was some way you could dump your stuff into atma without quitting the game - y'know, when your stash AND inventory is chock-full, and you need to generate space for that super item which just dropped...???

i am wrong, no?
no you're not
dont save and exit
open your char in atma
move whatever items you want out of your inventory into an atma stash
close char
switch to diablo
drop all the items you've previously placed in the atma stash
=> room for the items on the ground

Masas

Diabloii.Net Member
Hot Muling is evil! Evil I tell ya... Just look at it - dupe an item then destroy the copy! Yarrr... What could be more evil? What if a person would do this and "accidentaly" sell, or keep the dupe? Evil...

Ana

Diabloii.Net Member
Masas said:
Hot Muling is evil! Evil I tell ya... Just look at it - dupe an item then destroy the copy! Yarrr... What could be more evil? What if a person would do this and "accidentaly" sell, or keep the dupe? Evil...
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Couldn't agree more.

Masas said:
:lol:
But some people think that even using the rename function in ATMa, which creates a copy of the character file, then destroys the old one automatically is wrong, because for a fraction of a second, you have 2 copies of your character on your HDD. What if you were to catch the old one before it got deleted and then you'd have dupes!! :eek:
Although dougs way works fine, it seems a rather long winded way of doing things.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
The only reason anyone would hot mule is to pick up another gheed, since there are only couple of ways you can "pick" more than one gheed, hot mule is the best solution. I don't see any other need for hot mule.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Analist said:
What would be the chance of finding a second gheed?
If you kill everything once and do full clean (or full clean -1: just too keep the red portal open in hell), P8 normal & NM, P1 hell (my usual setting). You will come cross at least three or four if you have handfull of mat/pat/guardian. If you use the first gheed, and a second one drop, you will have to hot mule.

I personally had four gheed (currently have three), and I had to hot mule twice. Myself isn't gheed rich consider the number of gheeds I have found, I should have more than 4, since gheed isn't rare.

pharaoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Analist said:
What would be the chance of finding a second gheed?
It's happened to me twice or thrice. As I usually use the same character for MF runs, a second Gheed's doesn't hold much value for me. Standard procedure is to drop my current one, grab and ID the new one, and keep whichever one has better stats (the %MF being the most significant, obviously). I am now (and have been for a long time) a proud owner of a 40%MF Gheed's, so I really have no need of another. However, in the course of normal questing, I've found some stuff, so I have one or two in an ATMA stash.

A cheesy thing to do (I haven't done this, but mention it because it's along the same lines as Farting Bob's 'Wirtadin', in that it uses ATMA to equip gear that is otherwise not allowable) is to use ATMA to equip multiple Gheed's Greed- err, Fortune- charms. With anything but a minimal MF one, it would be more efficient (inventory-wise) than perfect MF small charms.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
pharaoh said:
A cheesy thing to do (I haven't done this, but mention it because it's along the same lines as Farting Bob's 'Wirtadin', in that it uses ATMA to equip gear that is otherwise not allowable) is to use ATMA to equip multiple Gheed's Greed- err, Fortune- charms. With anything but a minimal MF one, it would be more efficient (inventory-wise) than perfect MF small charms.
No, this is called cheating, and anything found by this way must be deleted (include the char who use them). If anyone trade/MF with this, he/she will be banned, no question ask.

linkato1

Banned
DeathMaster said:
The only reason anyone would hot mule is to pick up another gheed, since there are only couple of ways you can "pick" more than one gheed, hot mule is the best solution. I don't see any other need for hot mule.

That's not true., I'm gathering my grail while questing and need to free space in my inventory once in a while.

But I do not want to wade trough the newly created monsters that would be there if I saved before muling.

Topi

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
linkato1 said:
That's not true., I'm gathering my grail while questing and need to free space in my inventory once in a while.

But I do not want to wade trough the newly created monsters that would be there if I saved before muling.

Topi
When I quest, I normally face the same problem as you do. However, you can use the "mouse pointer storage". It works for me everytime (max extra 4x2 space!!).

pharaoh

Diabloii.Net Member
DeathMaster said:
No, this is called cheating, and anything found by this way must be deleted (include the char who use them). If anyone trade/MF with this, he/she will be banned, no question ask.
That's your opinion. Note I merely mentioned it, but said I don't do it. Even if I did MF like that, who are you to say I "will be banned, no question ask (sic)"? As long as people offering items don't deceive others (such as claiming a find in vanilla D2 that was really in a dropmod, or whatever), everything is cool. You should check the forum rules before you try to assume the role of the mods.

It should also be noted that many people consider hot-muling to be cheating as well, if not merely cheesy. By your reasoning, this would seem to mean you ought to be banned, because it can be assumed that your intent for hot-muling was to keep the secondary charm for MF runs- and, after all, we have you quoted as saying
DeathMaster said:
If anyone trade/MF with this, he/she will be banned, no question ask.