Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hot-button issues!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DPH, Nov 9, 2006.

1. DPH

DPH IncGamers Member

Hot-button issues!

Source

A lot of state amendments were voted on, not just candidates.

The winners:
    abortion :grin:
    gay marriage (kind of)
    stem-cell research :grin:

The losers:
    marijuana :cry: guess the people aren't ready yet
    affirmative action :grin:

2. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

U of Michigan students voted 75.69% for affirmative action. I was one of those. I for one don't have any problems with affirmative action and I don't care too much about the specific effect it has on admissions here.

3. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

And I voted for stem cell research. I actually heard much more opposition to the amendment than support, so I didn't think it would pass. Glad it did.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Slot machine gambling lost :(. I still have yet to understand why it would be so bad.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Am I the only person on earth who's pro-abortion but opposed to stem cell research?

I wouldn't get too excited about the abortion one - that law was ridiculous, put forward by extremists who overestimated their chances. It made no exceptions for health or rape, remember. Even Bush came out against it. And it STILL got 44% in favour! Appalling.

And as for gay marriage, the only one that voted against the ban rather than for was one in which heterosexuals had been convinced that the law would also affect their health benefits. I think it's pretty messed up that an issue of human rights would be put to a popular vote in the first place.

6. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

I wouldn't call gay marriage a winner. Only Arizona shot down a ban and they already have a law banning it anyway. And the stem cell victory comes with a cloning ban bundled in. We've made some progress but I think we're still losing some important state-level human rights battles.

7. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

Gay is just wrong... It's unnatural. A man is paired with a woman. Adam with Eve, Bush with Laura, Bill with Hillary (+ more). Even the Bible speaks out against homosexuality. As an avid Christian I say gay is WRONG.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

So animals never engage in homosexual activites? Or humans should only act in "natural" ways and stop this agriculture business?

9. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

I'm a christian...

Animals are animals. They have no soul. God commanded humans to live in a certain way and thats the way I live. I can't say I have room for your opinion because... I'm a christian. If I went against my own religion...

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

If that is your view because of your religion, that's fine, just don't try to drag "natural" into it.
    Edit- I could also say that Naruto encourages occult behavior.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Never get sick of this.

Not true, it has been recorded right across the animal kingdom.

I could assemble a list of real and fictional homosexual couples too.

Do you take the Bible's word for everything? Example: if my child is disobedient and I kill him/her, would you say that's okay?

If not, then you need more justification for thinking something is right or wrong than "because the Bible says so".

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

First of all there is only one animal on earth that is fully 'gay', some sort of lizard that basically clones itself, but has to have another lizard stimulate it.

Second, Adam was told by God he had domain and to take care of the Earth. Adam was told it was ok to farm/hunt.

13. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

The bible is a guide to how to live... not all of it is to be taken literal. But there is no other way to translate "GAY IS WRONG."

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Ah, then you don't mean "natural" at all. After all, God is commanding us to act in a way we wouldn't otherwise - ie, an unnatural way.

I bet I could find plenty of things your religion tells you to do that you don't, or tells you not to do that you do. Almost everyone chooses which parts of their religion they obey and which they conveniently ignore, and they're all responsible therefore for the ones they do choose to obey.

Hell, even if you follow it to the letter (which would probably make you a monster if not a criminal) you're still responsible for choosing the religion in the first place. You can't say "it's wrong because my religion says so" because the question then becomes "how do you justify your choice of religion?".

15. Star Dust

Why are you opposed to stem cell research?

Btw, good luck with the theist.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You'd be very surprised.

1) There is intense debate over whether Paul is referring to homosexuality or temple prostitution in the passage you're thinking of (as far as I know, there is only that one in the New Testament), because of uncertainties about the translation and the relative cultural climate of the time. I'll also point out to you that Jesus never once mentioned homosexuality, only Paul who is human and therefore fallible.

2) How can you take this:

non-literally?

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't think we're ready for it (hell, I don't think we will be in the forseeable future). There are just way too many possibilities for abuse, it is the greatest power humanity has yet discovered (except maybe nuclear power), and the temptation to cure illnesses and things just seems like a dreadful temptation to me.

18. Star Dust

How could it be abused?

19. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

100's of christian hymns proclaim of how we are sinners and how we are not worthy. I might not follow it rule by rule... but it definently crosses my mind like no other person. I read stories of great christian men (Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Pete Flemming, C.S. Lewis) and wonder... I always want to prove my worth... in the real world, in diablo, in wherever. Then I see that I might just want to prove my worth to God. 100's of christian hymns proclaim of how we are sinners and how we are not worthy

The Old Testament has punishment FAR more severe than the New Testament. The God of the old testament has been proclaimed as as many things including homophobic, machochistic, and one of the most cruel cretures in all of literature. But that is the same God in the new testament. The new testament gives us more revelation... more light on the gospel. We are able to understand it better. The Old speaks in riddles while the new speaks in a more direct manner.

20. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

And as another who would call himself a Christian, I believe that, under Jesus's teachings, a sin should not blind you to the point where you cannot love the sinner.

Do you really think that proclaiming "gay is WRONG" on an internet forum is a way of loving homosexuals? Personally, I would think that you would do better to sit down and talk to someone face to face so you can exchange viewpoints in a respectful manner, as opposed to stirring the proverbial pot with words that you should know would be provocative.