Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hosting Problems

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Liquid_Evil, May 3, 2005.

1. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Hosting Problems

I can host but people cannot connect to my games. I check my ip with a site like www.whatismyip.com and they still cannot connect. I've looked through all the FAQ's listed but didn't see any information that really helped me. The best tidbit of info I got was reading a recent post that said that "port 4000" hasta be open. How do I go about opening that port? Is that all it takes? Also, if I missed a MP FAQ completely, point me in its direction as well. Thanks.

2. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

i asked the same thing to one of person around the forum a long time ago, he explained very much detailed about it, but it seems i couldn't got his point.

here's the copy of the messages:

Originally Posted by damaris
    thanks for the info brokeflow...
    now the problem is, when i open the game, then select the TCP/IP, the IP address display on top of my monitor, how to change it?
    currently, my ip address is 192.168.0.103 which is now i know that its not the valid one.
    i've checked the website, it tells me that my ip add is 211.93.107.211

how to change the 192.xxx's turn to 211.xxx's?

You can't change what D2 displays. It will always look for a locally assigned IP, which will always be the internal IP, which is no good for getting people to join you.

You will need to use some other source to get the external IP that your service provider is giving you (which is what your routing is taking).

Also to allow people to connect to you, you will need to open(or forward) ports 4000 and 6112 through the router to your computer.

How you do this is different depending on your router. A lot have a web interface that will allow you to easily configure them from your pc.

Usually to connect to them you go to your browser and input 192.168.0.1 and it might prompt you for a password. If that doesn't work, you will need to look up how to open or forward those 2 ports in the instructions.

3. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

You will have to make sure that any firewall software you have running allows traffic through port 4000. I only no the OS X firewall software, so you will have to ask someone else about firewall configuration. (Or just turn it off when hosting.)

If you are using a router, you need to forward port 4000 on the router to internal IP address of the host computer. This site (http://www.portforward.com/) has walkthroughs on how to do this with most router brands.

Edit: Just to expand on damaris's post, you only need to forward 4000 for TCP/IP. 6112 is for B.net.

4. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

That was me trying to host just then without luck when sledge and necrolemming suggested opening port 4000 and consulting the MP faq

well i couldnt find an MP faq by itself but there is a section regarding it in the SP forum faq at http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=218795

unfortunately i couldnt make much of it
    "you need to ensure that port 4000 is being forwarded by your router/firewall/software to the correct internal IP address."

sounds very very simple yet im not to good with such networking matters and may as well need step by step way to do such a thing hehe

im going to check out my windows firewall program etc and when i complete the given directions will try to host again :)

EDIT: just manually created an exception in windows firewall for port 4000 i hope that does the trick

5. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

I'll answer with 2 questions

- Can you join games ?
    - Is the "in-game" visible IP number equal to that what "www.whatismyip.com" is listing when you host ?

I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct here, but this is what I've noticed:

This could be different when you have multiple network stuff, like a network card for a LAN and a modem/network card/router for internet.

When it's different:
    People only can join the host on the "network" of the ip seen ingame.
    So if the IP of your LAN card is shown in-game, people on the LAN can joing, from internet. If you would like to play on internet, disable the LAN network card.

When it's the same:
    Now there could be several problems. Are you behind a firewall/proxy/router ?

Randall

6. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

I can join and do it pretty frequently.

The ip's are different. The ingame ip says one thing and the website says another.

How do I disable the LAN network card? I have a firewall up but taking it down has no bearing on whether people can join my games. As for the proxy/router setting I'm not sure. I live in a university apartment and I plug directly into the wall, so if I am behind a router it's not like my old connection where it was a box with a bunch of lights and cords. As for the proxy, I'm afraid I don't know what that is.

7. seige

seige IncGamers Member

Go into Control Panel, Network Connections and you'll see your LAN Card there. Disable it. I have one as well that I never use and disabled it there. Hope that helps you.

- Jas :howdy:

8. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

If you're on a campus LAN I don't think they'll ever let you host. In the most likely setup (public IP range behind a NAT firewall) you don't stand a chance in Hell the network engineers will start port forwarding one specific port to your IP address. Not to mention you're probably on DHCP, and may get a different IP address from time to time. Unless the engineer is a good friend of yoursk, give it up....

9. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

I have the same problems LE :( I can't host either and my game displays a different IP number then ''whatsmyip.com''. I think I need to open some ports since I don't have a lan card nor a firewall (iirc.. my sis pc :) ).

10. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Same problem as you in the past, Liq. Pretty much impossible, as the others have mentioned. Asked the same questions like 2+ years ago. :D

University networks are *****es. We sit on top of obscene bandwidth, and can't use it to host. =\