Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hosting ATMA/Flavie/RWM binaries

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Corale, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

Hosting ATMA/Flavie/RWM binaries

Hello guys.

I want to build a small collection of the programs and information I use to to play d2 SP. This would be, as the title implies, ATMA, flavie and probably RWM, although I am yet to install that (need a 4 os Monarch ;) ). Would it be wrong to download these files and host them for public download? This would mostly be for myself and my friends and family to have everything in one place, but in practice it would be accessible for everyone. Maybe I should also keep a link to the last known original source so anyone can go there instead if they happen upon my page?

Or am I treading on thin ice and should get permission first or just post links to the original sites?

Thanks!

2. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Re: Hosting ATMA/Flavie/RWM binaries

You could just give Thyiad's link to anyone who wants to use RWM etc, I think everything is there apart from Flavie and GoMule.

3. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

That does contain a lot of it, and more, thanks! I'm still curious if it would be ok to host it myself as well though.

4. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black IncGamers Member

I don't know anything about copyright law in Sweden. But in the US, I believe that RWM would be such a small change (all it does is change a few zeros to ones in a config file) that it couldn't be copyrighted. RRM is probably also too small to be copyrightable, although I haven't looked at it, so I don't know for sure. In any case, Swedish laws might be different than US laws.

CRM is bigger, but is under the GPL. GoMule is also under the GPL, which allows copying/hosting (and a lot of other things). There is at least one requirement in the GPL for hosting software, so I'd recommend reading the GPL before hosting GPL'd software, to make sure you understand what's required. IIRC all it requires is to make sure people can get the source code, but it's been awhile since I last read the GPL.

I don't know what license the old Flavie is under, but GoMule has newer versions of Flavie incorporated. I also don't know what license Atma is under.

If you can't find license information about something, you can always ask whoever wrote it originally. In any case, putting a link back to the original location of something is a good idea in general, since if what you're hosting gets outdated, people can find the up-to-date version anyway.

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

The only problem I could see with any of these is the liability you would face if people claimed you were passing a virus or what not. As long as these files are available from a "trusted" source, people should be encouraged to use that rather than to have multiple places to get them from.

6. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

I'll look up the ATMA details before hosting anything, but I'm leaning towards hosting binaries and providing links to original sources.

Thank you for the tips all!

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

This.

Files I host (RWM/RRM and ATMA) are virus checked by me. They're usually my installation. We know they are the mods accepted in the SP(T)F and that is why a) I link to them and b) keep them hosted (the SPF atma site has been down a while). If we are going to use the mods, lets try and use the same one.

Silo updates his own site and Sourceforge himself.

I can understand you wanting to keep a backup for yourself but a re-hosting seems pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.