Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hostel - Doses this happen in real life?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Klæmint Vágadal, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

Hostel - Doses this happen in real life?

Well, I saw the movie Hostel the other day, and boy oh boy was it a cool moive, but it left me with a strange feeling in my gut that what if it was real? Then at work today me and a nother guy started to talk about the movie, and he said it did actually happen in RL:shocked: Doses anyone of you know about anything this?

2. StAlbion

StAlbion IncGamers Member

Oh no G-man, you'll have to try harder then that to catch me.

Anyway, the short answer is almost certainly no.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

According to legend it does. It seems plausible, given all the other brutal illegal trades there are, and how easy it is to just "go missing" in little nowhere countries. Whether or not it actually happens, I don't know.

4. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I doubt it. Trafficking in people is more profitable and less dangerous if you limit the trade to sex-slavery, I bet. If you let people torture and kill your humans you can only get paid once. If you rent them out for sex you get paid every day for years and years. It's probably harder to find paying customers while maintaining a low enough profile not to get caught too, and once you get caught selling humans to be murdered for money you're in for a long prison stay in most places. As a pimp you probably don't risk as much. To generate enough money to keep the police et cetera in bribes you'd need relatively many customers who'd have to have tons of money to spend. So, how many rich people want to spend money that way, and how do you come into contact with them without it leaking out because of the wrong person finding out about it?

I don't think it's economically feasible. If it was I'm positive someone would be doing it though.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Most of those arguments apply to sex slavery too. As for the one-off-payment thing, it's probably not that big a problem. Just means the operation would have to be small-scale.

6. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, iirc, the movie was indeed based on true based events, but I assume that the reality is a bit crueler (hostel was semi-funny to me) and not so great scale (a smaller club perhaps)

Do I believe it? Let's just say that I wouldn't go anywhere near those countries, better safe than sorry.

7. Drosselmeier

How do you figure? Most of those arguments concern matters of degree relative to sex slavery. I guess they apply in the literal sense, but that doesn't mean the two are equally safe and profitable for the respective kinds of criminals.

8. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I'm sure there are corners in the world where you can pay to kill someone however you want, being it man, woman or child.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'm not so optimistic. Granted it would be more dangerous than sex slavery, but there are tens of thousands of sex slaves worldwide; even if it's a thousand times more dangerous and expensive (which I highly doubt) that puts the numbers in the tens.

10. Drosselmeier

I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

If you set out to make money selling humans why choose the more risky and complex way of selling them to murderers? You know beforehand that you will be able to bribe the cops if they catch you doing pimp business, or maybe spend a few years in jail. If they catch you selling for murder you will spend a looong time in prison. If you do manage to get away via a massive bribe you'll have to have been busted by an exceptionally immoral cop.
    If you sell for sex you won't have any problems finding customers. You can just send your prostitutes into the street or wherever they do business and it will pretty much take care of itself. This way, the prostitutes take a large part of the liability off you. It's not a sure thing you'll get busted because one of your prostitutes is. If you sell for murder you won't be able to rely on your merchandise to find your customers. You'll have to do that yourself, without accidentally contacting the wrong person. You (or an employee) will have to be in contact with the paying customer at some point. This ties you closer to the crime if it's discovered. If the police should find the body there will be evidence tying you or your employees to the corpse. If one of your customers gets caught they might tell.

There are too many ifs. Had there been any operations like this going I would expect at least one to get busted at some point. The fact that we haven't heard anything tells me there are extremely few, if any, and that they're very small scale. I people do this sort of thing it's probably more like one rich person paying a very trusted employee or close friend to supply victims for that one rich guy exclusively.

11. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I dunno Dross...the underground worldwide crime scene is pretty comprehensive...I wouldn't be suprised if you could find someone who sells people to be torture victims. I'm sure it is not nearly as common as sex slavery...but I'm hard pressed to believe that it does not exist.

12. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

For the record, I think that movie is garbage.

However, I wouldn't put it past the realm of possibility. I would think it would be highly unlikely - but sick things do happen in the world. Pure conjecture on my part, because I have no evidence to argue one way or the other, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

13. Stompwampa

Agreed 100% :thumbsup:

14. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Actually, garbage may not be a strong enough word... but oh well.

15. Stompwampa

Lol...yea. I think all those movies are rubbish (Saw, Saw II, Saw III (in the works), Devil's Rejects, Hills Have Eyes, Wolf Creek...)

It's wierd though, because a part of me still wants to see them out of curiosity...

16. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I thought the Saw movies were entertaining. What bothered me about Hostel was all the pr0n. When the movie was over, I coudln't believe I had let myself watch it.

Plus, the plot is just so incredibly bad. Nothing happens in that movie. Boobies and poorly done gore. That is it.

17. Drosselmeier

Weird. Zodi objected to it for the same reason when I spoke to her as I was about to see it. I don't think there was that much nudity in it. I can't even remember any specific scene when there were tits on screen. I can think of one scene (the sex scene) where there probably was, but that's only one.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You think there are lots of cops willing to turn a blind eye to kidnap, slavery and brutal gang-rape, but not murder? I daresay the former is worse.

It's true that it would be difficult to find a large clientele, but I don't think that in principle that would stop it. I don't know if any such rings have been caught or busted up, but if they haven't been that doesn't prove anything.

Exactly. And it's something of a continuum - I mean, plenty of prostitutes offer BDSM, no doubt sex slavers do too. For them it wouldn't be a big jump to real violence.

I usually don't judge movies without seeing them, but in this case I agree entirely. Symptomatic of everything that's wrong with horror (and a lot of other genres) these days, I hate gorefests.

I dunno about it happening like it apparently does in the movies, but some kind of torture, maiming or killing maybe.

You watch a movie about people having their eyes gouged out and being graphically dismembered by chainsaws and complain about some sex scenes?

19. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

The first 20-30 minutes is almost nothing but naked girls. I didn't see it in theaters, mind you. Maybe the dvd version had more nudity than the theaters.

No, I complained about the whole thing. I'm not against sex in movies, if it's done tastefully. Nor am I against language or violence, if there is actually a purpose to it beyond simple shock value.

In this case, the nudity is nothing more than gratuitous - it just attracted teenage guys.

And the reason I didn't really complain more about the violence is because it was so unrealistic. I could have made the same special effects in my garage... it really did look that poor. It's hard to complain about the violence when it just makes you laugh...

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I agree.

Really? I was under the impression it was done horribly well.