Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Horror Movie Marathon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LonghornRob, Oct 21, 2006.

1. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

Horror Movie Marathon

So I'm going to host a horror marathon this Thursday or Friday, and I'm Trying to decide which movies I should rent. i've created a list of 10 movies, and I'm having a tough time deciding. A few of the movies might not necessarily fall under "horror", like Helter Skelter or Jacob's Ladder, but they're supposed to be chilling nonetheless.

Rosemary's Baby
    The Exorcist
    The Omen
    Don't Look Now
    Event Horizon
    The Evil Dead
    Halloween
    Jacob's Ladder
    Helter Skelter
    Candyman

Of these movies the only one I've see fully are Event Horizon and Candyman. So my question to yous guys is: Which four movies from this list would you choose to show for a horror movie marathon/drunken get-together?

EDIT: oh and consider all movies the originals and not the bad sequels or terrible remakes.

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I'd definitely get The Exorcist, the one with the added material. The crabwalk down the steps was the creapiest thing I've ever seen.

3. Athelstan

Athelstan Diabloii.Net Member

Exorcist is great, and I second the last poster's recommendation that you get the new version, with the added material. I also think Event Horizon is an extremely scary movie, but that might just be me. Another really good modern horror movie is Silent Hill. You left off Poltergeist, another classic horror movie.

Now, for a drunken get together, I would probably pick Exorcist, Poltergeist, Silent Hill, and some crappy Freddy Krueger movie, just for the laughs.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I frickin' hate Event Horizon. The music on the end credits perfectly summed up the whole stupid movie - "oh my god that's some funky ****".

The original Evil Dead sucks, I hear the second is the classic but I still haven't gotten around to seeing it. Candyman sucks too, that whole stupid movie just went absolutely nowhere. It ended and I just thought "what, is that it? Nothing bloody well happened!".

Rosemary's Baby, although a classic, is pretty pointless. Basically I knew everything that was going to happen before I saw it, and the movie just slowly drags out a plot you could sum up in one sentence. And the ending just reinforced the pointlessness.

5. LonghornRob

If you don't have anything nice to say...

I'm leaning towards The Exorcist, The Evil Dead, Event Horizon, and then Jacob's Ladder if there's time.

6. Dondrei

The Exorcist was okay, as was the original Halloween. But most horror movies suck, really. It's a genre that has rarely lived up to its potential.

7. pancakeman

pancakeman Diabloii.Net Member

Does Gigli count as a horror movie?

8. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier Diabloii.Net Member

Those three plus The Exorcist 3.

Seriously... If you haven't seen it you should. It's got a bad reputation because of the horrible Exorcist 2, but that's completely undeserved. It's a really great horror movie. Top notch performance from Brad Dourif and one of the coolest scenes I've seen in any horror movie ever. Everyone I know who's seen it agrees that it's a rediculously underrated movie and a worthy sequel to the original.

9. sirmessbu

sirmessbu Diabloii.Net Member

From the list you posted;

The Exorcist
    The Evil Dead
    Event Horizon
    Halloween

Seems like you don't like zombies movies too much or something. What about, Night of the living dead (1968 or 1990 version). or some vampires with the classic From dawn till dusk .

Also the movies Cube cube2 and cube3 are some of my favorites, if you never seen those I higly recommand that you put your hands on the original cube and have a blast.

10. Dondrei

I just saw the original Night of the Living Dead, it was pretty good. Definitely superior to the 1990 version, which I thought was crap. I saw the first Cube, I originally didn't think much of it but in retrospect it wasn't all that bad.

Speaking of horror movies that grew on me, Final Destination is worth a look-in. The deaths in the second one were even better, but I seem to recall the movie itself was significantly crappier.

11. LonghornRob

There's a Cube2 and Cube3? whoa. The first one was cool indeed.

Final Destination is a good one but I wanted to lean towards more conventional, oldschool horror movies, with the exception of Event Horizon. I've only seen that once a long time ago, and damnit I need to see it again.

I saw the original Night of the Living Dead and wasn't impressed. I probably won't be impressed by any of these movies either, but I haven't seen 'em and I figure I should.

12. sirmessbu

sirmessbu Diabloii.Net Member

Cube2 or Hypercube is more a psychologic movie. Rooms in cube doesn't have traps buts it's a four dimension cube (hypercube). It's actualy my favorite of the three.

Cube3 revolves around 2 men outside the cube watching and having to report about those inside the cube. The action is quite intense as in the first cube.

13. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

I like slasher films. I have enjoyed every Friday the 13th, even the one in space. Halloween is my favorite horror movie, and Halloween 4 was fun also.

14. papajustify

papajustify Diabloii.Net Member

Its a Horror movie marathon/ drunken get-together so you dont want any think pieces, you want some action, some gore, a few good 'jumps' you know the silent music before the sudden dead kid walkin across a doorway down the hall sort of thing, and variety. You dont wanna watch the same thing over and over.
    I'd suggest:
    From your list
    The exorcist, old or new what ever your into
    The Omen, the new one just came out last week , try it
    Halloween, it is October after all.
    Not on your list
    Get a good zombie movie, lots of gore and fun. Try Dawn of the Dead or if you really wanna mix it up, get Shaun of the Dead - Hilarious

15. papajustify

papajustify Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yeah, Silent Hill, man that was horrible. enough said

16. Dondrei

God, those movies are awful. I get so bored, they're just silly.

17. jackthelad

jackthelad Diabloii.Net Member

Bad Taste. By the time you're drunk, it will be the greatest piece of cinema ever made. If you can get hold of it, that is.

*Imagines Dondrei presiding over an army of dwarves in his underground post mines*

18. Dondrei

(Stage 1) Make posts.
    (Stage 2) ???
    (Stage 3) Profit!

19. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know what it is. Obviously not many slasher films are actually quality films, but I just seem to find the formula entertaining.

20. Rabbitz

Rabbitz Diabloii.Net Member

Scratch - The Omen

God.. that sucked so badly :(