Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hork mechanics question.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wildjinn, Mar 11, 2004.

1. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Hork mechanics question.

We all love the Arreat Summit for spreading anti-MF propaganda. Is there any truth to their line here? I was under the impression that, using Find Item, you would be given a chance at a second drop on a corpse, and I am planning on dual ali baba's on switch for endgame MF horking with my upcoming barb. I won't bother looking for Ists if the Arreat Summit turns out to be right. Can someone confirm/deny this for me? It's most distressing. ;)

2. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

perhaps that is true for regular monsters, but i know pindle still always drops at least magical when you hork him.

3. Wraithswind

Wraithswind IncGamers Member

Back in the olden days, I Horked the Council in Kurast unmercifully. There were even a few times when I'd pop one with set or a unique, then hork a set or unique from them (well when I could actually distinguish one corpse from another). I don't know how MF exactly works with it, but you can find greater than Magic items by Horking.

4. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

I always thought that it just triggered another 'drop', so if the hork was successful, you'd get the same probability of items as if the no-drop roll failed when you killed the monster.

5. cholerajoe

cholerajoe IncGamers Member

exactly what I thought! In 1.09 all MFers were barbs because of this.

6. wildjinn

That's what I thought, too. Let's hope that's the case--I'm going to keep building my barb as if it is. :)

edit: i'm still camping on this thread to see if there's a definitive answer. :)

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I don't think I've read about any change about horkin in the 1.10 patch readme file. I guess what AS said was also true due to that percentage is simply the drop chance of regular monsters when you have 0 mf. (totally guess)

P.S. Hey wild gonna do some more bashing on weekends? :D

8. wildjinn

heh. yes. this weekend sounds good, but not very much. i have finals next week. :) I've got a couple of characters in act 5 hell, so maybe a couple of pats? neh. we'll figure it out.

9. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

I doubt I can give a 'definitive' answer, but my main mf'er is a barb, and uses FI with every run. I use dual Ali's w/mf jewels, or dual echoers for more survivability.

I have found FI to simply be a replacement % for the nodrop chance. Other than that, everything else works as if you had actually made the kill again. Champions will always drop a magic item (or phat cash) and baby maggots will never drop anything-- so that negates what the AS says. Other people on this board and on other boards agree.

btw, I find FCR to be extremely helpful with FI. Try on a couple of Wizspikes to check it out.

10. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

AFAIK: The hork has a similar drop to the initial kill however, the percentage for the item to be magical and above diminishes by a given amount so the chance to get a rare/unique drops but is still available. So horking with 400+% magic find would be like killing the monster again with 50+% magic find on. One would expect to get fewer rares/uniques but would still find them.

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The AS really needs some fixing on Find Item stat info.

It allows for another drop, not any different than you would kill a monster. It re-uses the same TC the monster has.

Uzziah: I'm wondering where you are getting all your info from. Is it purely from experience or do you browse other forums than this one?

12. wildjinn

Cool. Thanks, RTB (and everyone else). :) That's what I expected...the MF barb marches on.

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Please ignore this comment as it is incorrect. Thank you RTB for your insight and help with looking in the Barb forum for the correct answer.

It appears there is a bit of debate over this question and the answer seems to be that a second drop is calculated identical to the first. please see this thread for more details. http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=149050

14. NSXdreamer

What school do you go to? I'm still on my second midterm, and you've already on your final? :scratch:

15. wildjinn

I'm at Northwestern in Chicago. We're on quarters, so this one ends right before spring break.

16. NSXdreamer

Ahh I see. We are on the three semester system here, so it's longer than yours. We've already had our spring break though.