Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Horde Mode in D3 - endless waves of mobs!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by PiSeasA, Aug 25, 2010.

1. PiSeasA

PiSeasA IncGamers Member

Horde Mode in D3 - endless waves of mobs!

Anyone that played GoW2 would probably agree that it's an awesome gametype: satisfying mass mob kills, bragging rights, tons of replayability - how about having that in D3?

1)Slaughter increasingly tougher mobs: find best class combos,
    try out builds,sense of progression
    2)Tie to BNet achievements: team that reached highest wave, most kills/DPS, server firsts, etc
    3)After lvl99,killing MegaUber Diablo, 10 000 Baal runs later, this'll offer end-game content that can never be "completed" (+very little dev work required, just randomly generate mobs)

In order to make this work:
    1) There should be minimal item/exp gain. Maybe just give some reward after defeating a mini-boss every 10 waves or so to keep things interesting. Considering game balance, this mode should just be for fun/achievements

Thoughts?

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Horde Mode in D3 - endless waves of mobs!

I'd love it. I still haven't even finished the GoW 1 ones. XD

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

sounds like a good idea but i disagree on giving xp or any other rewards for it. i like the idea as a way to test out builds and for personal achievements but not as a means to gain xp or gold/items

4. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

The game won't need this because we'll be killing endless waves of doom in nightmare and hell mode.

5. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Agreed, just keep it for testing toon purposes only, one can brag about it on fora and/or chatrooms.

6. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

This could be tons of fun with some friends and Skype going! It'd definately be a game mode I would spend a lot of time on. ^_^

Especially considering I've spent probably close to 100 hours now just on CoD WaW nazi zombie mode. =P

7. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

An endless series of levels could work but I think that there could be problems with an endless horde mode. With continuous waves of monsters players would eventually come up with a party of characters that can defeat each wave by just holding down one button while never running out of resources. They would then lean an object on their mouse buttons and leave their computers grinding for a week. Monsters shouldn't come to you, you should have to go to the monsters. If there exists anywhere where players can 'bot' by holding down a button indefinitely it will be abused by everyone. Consider what Uber-leveling would be if the servers didn't lag out after a while, meaning that you could continue indefinitely.

Personally, I hope that Hell difficulty is equally challenging and rewarding throughout so that parties would play through the whole difficulty again and again for experience and drops. It would be very cool to have the Hell difficulty quests reset after you beat the game so that you can play back through and still be interacting with the story. The quest rewards couldn't be extremely powerful such as +10% resist all permanently or +2 skill points which would be broken if they could be collected over and over but you could still have interesting rewards. Something like the Hellforge quest would be quite fair to be able to repeat if you had to actually play through acts 1-4 without skipping to get there each time.

8. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Hoard mode should not give experience or loot. Just for fun. And the enemies should be random and get progressively stronger. Which means you need to vary the skills you use and also move around. 1 round might be easy to defend in one place, but nigh on impossible the next round.

9. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

I like the idea.

Maybe it's too late to implement this now. But since it's a BNET-only thing... maybe they could implement it through patching?

@Pirohemia: There should be some reward, as long as it doesn't break the game like the cow level. Just make it extremely difficult starting some point.

Come on, are you sure that the problem is "leaning objects in a button"? It's not like we are fighting izual, it's and horde of enemies that come from every side. Maybe some wave is immune to your "endless attack"... What would the "grinding party" do then?

10. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I never liked going back to normal mode and just easily slaughtering everything, which is what this idea sounds like. It makes the monsters 'scary factor' go way down and turns them into little digits, like you are wiping out pre school children. I'm not sure if this sort of desensitization should be promoted. Sure, we will all reach the point of desensitization eventually, but why allow players to speed it up?

It's like asking for a mode where all the best legendary items in the game fall from the sky and we can test them out in that game/mode only.

11. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I agree with Stillman. I think the idea proposed seems unfitting for this type of game (arpg), it goes better with the Action/Arcade genre and it would be a huge waste of time and developing resources. If there are going to be mini games in D3 I hope there are none of the monster-wave type, which is redundant with the concept of Diablo... perhaps a round of Tic Tac Toe, Reversi, or whatever, with one of the townsfolk, or anything on the relaxing side, like a soft puzzle.

12. Apocalypse

whats D3 really needs is texas hold em. thats right baby step up and gamble all that gold away

13. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Finally...Ogden's Inn can be useful.

14. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Hehehe, I remember when I first heard about D1's expansion by a friend; he told me that in Hellfire we were going to be able to enter the Tavern and have drinks, and that inside were additional quest givers and you had your own room were you could store things and what-not, haha... the lying bastard...

15. Apocalypse

lol when all you got was a stupid farmer who wore a cow suit and some little girl with a lost teddy bear

16. FrenchToast

FrenchToast IncGamers Member

I think this game mode could be a lot of fun. Sure, the early levels would be slightly dull, but that's not unlike Nazi Zombies, Firefight, Horde, or any other similar concept. Hopefully it would get tough quick enough to be interesting, though. Maybe not in the main game, but I can see it being a huge selling point for an expansion.

And it doesn't have to be battle.net only. It'd be much harder on single player, definitely, but I would still play it.

17. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Hmn... I'm pretty sure that we'll get a "Challenge" mode, just like in Sc2... You know, kill "x" kind of mob with only these 2 skills or something, might be interesting...

18. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

The more the game has to offer, it's just plain better IMHO.