Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Honouring the Troops

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Honouring the Troops

A few days ago nine members of the Australian Defence Force, from the Army, Navy and Air Force, were killed when their Sea King helicopter crashed during disaster relief operations on Nias. They were stationed aboard HMAS Kanimbla, that was on its way home from relief operations around Banda Aceh when the latest Earthquake wrecked Nias and they turned back to give further aid.

I am watching the live funeral on free-to-air, commercial (this broadcast is commercial free), TV at the moment where Australia's Prime Minister, the Governor-General and Indonesia's President are in attendence. The nine coffins are lined up, draped by the Australian flag and President Iudiono(sp?) has placed a pillow with the Indonesian Medal of Valour, the highest Indonesian award, on each coffin. The three dignitaries then turned around and our Governor-General placed a sprig of wattle on each coffin. Then the usual prayers and stuff, followed by The Last Post and a minute's silence. Moving, very dignified, stuff.

I am wondering how other countries treat their military dead? Does America, especially, have some sort of annual memorial service for the, ongoing, 1500+ dead in Iraq, given that their dead are spirited into the country in the dead of night and the media is not allowd near them?

2. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

The United States has an annual day of rememberance called Memorial Day. It is a day of rememberance of all fallen service members.

Also in the big military communities there is always a lot of support for those in the community who have lost people in the current conflicts.

In San Diego we have a lot of those as we have over 1 million active duty servicemen and women.

I mourn the loss of your countrymen. I have toured a few Australian vessels and installations in my trips to your country and while inport at the same time in Hong Kong. Truly fine people I have met.

~A toast to the fallen~

R++

3. Sokar Rostau

We have ANZAC Day which is similar to Memorial Day, it is on the anniversary of the disasterous Gallipoli landings in WWI. I meant do you have something other than that with the ongoing death toll? I seem to recall seeing a couple of individual things where the 'Faces of the Fallen' were shown on TV, both from S11 and incidents in the subsequent wars. Or will you just have to wait twenty years until someone decides to build a wall in Washington DC?

4. rplusplus

I am sure that when this current conflict is over and all the troops are home that there will be a national memorial for it. As of now it is just the local communties that honor the local fallen, and as you pointed out the Faces of the Fallen that Llad posted a link to a week back.

In the service we constantly remember our fallen as they are our brothers in arms.

R++

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Why do you ask this question Sokar? It isn't as if you give a damn about Americans. If your general posting habits are any indication.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I thought it was quite obviously an inflammatory and confrontational post, I don't think he's trying to hide it that you need to call him out :D

but heck, why not?

7. Sokar Rostau

Unlike Americans I have a curiosity about the world outside of my own borders.

If you really want to troll for a response from me I suggest doing it in a thread where it is warranted.

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

THAT IS TROLLING

:scratch:

9. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

So, you think all the half billion (give or take a bunch) Americans are not curious about the world outside our borders?

I find that remark to be terribly unwarranted, generalizing and, frankly, foolish.

10. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Quick Question: Why do these 9(i think) Troops that died get the Indonesian Medal of Valour and none of the other few hundred men and women working aboard the ship get it?
    yes they died, does dieing whilst doing your job make you anymore valourous than someone who does the same job but live?

11. rplusplus

Basically, yes. When you sacrafice your personal freedoms in service to your country and place yourself in harms way it is a way for the country you are serving, or the country you are assisting, to show that they honor the sacrafice.

R++

12. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

The American Legion will be leading the memorial service for my Grandfather who recently passed away. He was a Marine, like myself, and a WWII veteran. I will be there to pay my last respects, sporting my Dress Blues of course. I'm actually looking forward to it, getting the chance to pay my last respects in both a professional and military manner. He was a good man and is going to be missed... :hanky:

13. rplusplus

Sorry to hear about that Vampiro. Glad to see your unit lets you go home for the service.

R++

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

At last check Americans numbered around 295,812,563, Freet. So... closer to a quarter billion.