Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hone Sundan Socketing advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ThaCheeZe, Nov 12, 2006.

1. ThaCheeZe

ThaCheeZe Diabloii.Net Member

Hone Sundan Socketing advice

Hey,

I would like some advice on what to socket in my new found Hone Sundan.

Some background info:
    I've been playing exclusively HC lately. I've been trying to complete NM for ages (if i'll make that I'll of course try to clear Hell as well, but I'll start cheering if I finish NM :)). I'm still hindered by my SC playing habits, So far I've lost about 5 Meteorb Sorcs in NM and 1 fishy.

I'm currently playing a fishy again and he's faring pretty well, I've just finished act 2 NM and Duriel dropped me a Hone Sundan. Cool stuff, as the merc's weapon is an important part of a succesful fishy.

So the question is now what to put in the HS. I'm not really rich, but the HC characters I played up to now have gathered me some stuff. I searched the forums and the general consensus seems to be that a HS sould be socketed with Shael Shael Amn. I have 1 Shael and 1 Amn, so I could use those and wait for another Shael to drop (or enough lower runes to cube one).

But since I trust the knowledge of the SP better than that of the general D2 forums, I fugured I'd ask here.

The other gear of my Merc:
    A rare Circlet with +20 res all and 6% life leach
    A rather plain rare armor, with some resists.

I'm figuring that I don't need the amn, since the merc already had 7% leach from the ciclet and the 20 res all make the circlet good enough to use through the rest of the game...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    CheeZe

2. Llathias

Llathias Banned

There are really two options for the Hone Sundan: Shael-Shael-Amn or Shael-Amn-Amn. It depends on the build and other pieces of merc gear, of course. In your case, I'd go with SSA (remember, leech is cut to 1/3 in Hell diff).

3. ThaCheeZe

I socketed the Shael and Amn. After some more rune collecting along the way, I'll make the second shael.

4. Hoop76

Hoop76 Diabloii.Net Member

Extra life leech on your merc makes a huge difference in his ability to help tank. Especially later on.

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus Diabloii.Net Member

Here's the IAS breakpoints for a yari with an act 2 merc using the usual jab:

IAS - Frames per attack - Attacks per second

0 % 8 3.1
    9 % 7.5 3.3
    20 % 7 3.5
    37 % 6.5 3.8
    65 % 6 4.1
    105 % 5.5 4.5
    200 % 5 5

My usual answer is this:

It depends on what gear you have. You want to reach the next breakpoint without sacrificing too much on gear to make it.

Typically you want leech on your merc stick and IAS so you would want 2 Shaels for 40% IAS and an Amn rune for leech.

40% IAS breaks the 37% point so you're good to go with 2 shaels.

If you are going to use some headgear that has some IAS built in then you could go Shael/Amn/Amn for more leech. A Stealskull unique helm has 20% IAS built in so one Shael in the HS will still make the 37% breakpoint so you can afford to use 2 Amns.

Other headgear that have IAS include Andariel's Visage ... and ... uhhhh ... there are probably some other ones. But Andy's and Stealskull tend to be the popular ones.

You can also even get 20% IAS from body armor if you want to use Twitchthroe.

If you want to move this HS to an actual char then you have even more freedom because you can also get more IAS from your gloves, belt and armor.

Hope that helps. Remember that you can always TP scroll and Hel rune it if you don't like your socketing options and resocket again.

6. Flayed One

Flayed One Diabloii.Net Member

stealskull gives 10% IAS...:evil:

7. bill_n_opus

Damn ... I knew I was wrong on that one.

Oh well, then what you can do in that case is use a Stealskull with the 10% and then use two nice jewels with 15% IAS and a second mod if you have 'em and then an Amn for leech.

That way you have 45% IAS which hits the 37% breakpoint, enhanced damage hopefully as a second mod and leech from the Amn.

Of course 40/15's would be ideal ... but they are pretty rare as you can imagine. :smiley:

8. Flayed One

Flayed One Diabloii.Net Member

10+15+15 = 45??....:badteeth:
    sorry, couldn't help it...:laugh:

9. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I wouldn't spend any socketable half as valuable as a 40/15 for a Hone Sundan but a perfect eth one.

10. bill_n_opus

Damn again!

(I just finished a nightshift 5 hours ago ... and i'm still not in bed as it's my last shift of the set. Still deciding on whether to sleep right now or wait 'til the evening)

Ah ... what the heck ... i'll just say stick to 2 shaels and amn and be done with it!!!

(or 1 shael, 1 15% IAS plus second mod and an Amn plus Stealskull - lemme see ... that makes 20+15+10 = 45!!!!!!!!!)

:scratch:

11. bill_n_opus

I wouldn't either ... just throwin' that out there for kicks. The only legit 15/40s that i've seen (i'm assuming legit anyways :laugh: ) were the ones that Liquid Evil stuck into his ethereal Tomb Reaver (big hurty stick).

12. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

Close, but not quite right. The 65% one should be 63%, and the Fpa should
    be 1 less for them all (from 14 to 8 frames per jab).
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495478#post4806052
    ----

If you've got a Lem (or get one of those before you get the shael), consider
    using that second Shael for a Treachery instead. That would give your merc
    65% ias, enough for a 10 frame jab, and you can put another Amn in the HS.

13. bill_n_opus

Interesting ... I copied and pasted the IAS table from the german IAS calc. Normally I would go with RTB as he is (almost) always right unless it was a typo.

So, if RTB says 63% then 63% it is.

14. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Diabloii.Net Member

ThaCheeZe:

Shael Amn is the way to go. My Skellimancer's merc (SC) has only those two runes in and he got through hell pretty well - although I did give him more LL with Tal's Crest. If one of those drops for you then you are good to go the SSA route, failing that stick another Amn in as suggested above.

However, you shouldn't need to make a decision until the end of Act III/early Act IV.

DM

15. Tigereye

Tigereye Diabloii.Net Member

I have read a couple of time in these forums that the german IAS calc is wrong for the merc, and the correct one is displayed in the sorceress forum (link by Delreich).

16. Gaz

Gaz Diabloii.Net Member

I've currently got a HC fishymancer that has just killed Diablo in NM. haven't found any useful merc weapons, so I gave him a hurty stick with Strength. (AmnTir) I've found that my merc doesn't seem to take a lot of damage with 10 skeletons around, but that may change once I get to hell difficulty.

Although, I have to say, if a Hone Sundan drops I'd have to give the sockets the Shael Shael Amn route.

17. ThaCheeZe

Thanks for the advice everyone,

As said the rare circlet has 6% ll as well, so together with the amn in the HS he has 13 ll, I think that should do. I'm now waiting for enough runes to cube a shael.