Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hone sundan or Kelpie Snare?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Suiling, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hone sundan or Kelpie Snare?

Firstly, thanks you Arreat_Mercenary for the shael!

Well, with shael shael amn, Hone Sundan is good (speed kils)
    But i thought this up. Clay golem + ice skellie mage + decrepify + kelpie snare (slow baal down by 75%) = Baal stay static, no moving at all.

Which one best?

2. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Baal is almost static at 50% slow. For a skellymancer going in, Decrepifying Baal once, then letting your Clay Golem get one hit until he is even slower is good enough. Switch to Amp at that point, he will never move if you have a decent level of Clay Golem (I think I had mine around 45% slow). Go for the Hone Sundan, which I think is the best skellymancer mercstick.

3. 6dollarburger

6dollarburger Banned

Personally, I would pick the Hone Sundan. The Kelpie combo is nice, but points put into Skeletal Mage could be better spent somewhere else. And like DarkChaos said, you can already greatly slow Baal without the mages.

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hmm... ok, stick with Hone sundan, let's don't let the Shael stay in my stash collecting dust. Thanks guys!

5. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

No worries Suiling.

But remeber there are different types of slowness, some stack, and some override each other.

For example, Slow from decrepify is one type of slowness and the slowness from clay golem is another, but if you add kelpie snare, that's the same slowness than from clay golem, so both of them cannot be active at the same time so you are losing slowness from either clay golem or from your weapon.

Decrepify + clay golem (at a decent level) already slows any enemy to 75%.

Besides, hone sundan offers an amazing 45% chance of crushing blow which is incredibly good against bosses

6. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

IIRC Clay slowing and Kelpie slowing do not stack, because they are the same type of slowing being applied by separate minions. Thus, the merc and golem would overwrite each other. The other forms of slowing (Holy Freeze, cold damage, Decrep) do stack with monster slow, regardless of source.

Hone Sundan all the way.

edit: pwned by A_m. Please move along, nothing to see here. :smiley:

7. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Weird, they have the same function but doesn't stack..

8. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Isn't slowness capped at a certain percent in NM and Hell?

-hps

9. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

They will stack if they're from the same source. For example, a player with Cleg's gloves (25%) and Blackhorn's (20%) gets the combined slowing (45%). And there is a cap, especially against bosses, 50% monster slow I think.

10. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

i would go for the shael shael amn hone sundan. IT OWNS!

11. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Suiling , I have a MF Fishy with a Merc using Hone Sundan. I found it very effective against decrepifed bosses to knock off their first 60% of hitpoints very quickly. It really speeds up getting the 1st corpse ready for the CE chain that follows. His merc's HS is socketed 2 x Amn and Shael so he can wear Gface for 80% CB. Socketed with 2 x Shaels and Amn with faster attack speed is great if he uses other leech equipment, eg Vamp Gaze as if HS is an exceptional class weapon, so the raw damage isn't massive.

12. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I love the Hone Sundan.

The real trick is to find an ethereal version with close to perfect damage stats as possible. Then upgrade it twice and you've got a pretty sick act2 merc weapon with the speed, crushing blow and almost 1k damage and 3 open sockets for your 15IAS+second mod jewels/Shaels and an Amn for leech.

That's the weapon i'd blow the runes for upgrading. I've never made Oath and the stats look tasty ... except iirc there's no IAS on it which takes away the damage over time. But it's probably a little less difficult to make and the rune cost is probably a little less too.

Or if you're like farting bob you can stick an Ohm rune in an ethereal upgraded HS ... :rolleyes: :laugh: Does anyone remember that? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

13. Suiling

Suiling Banned

farting bob? Ohm rune? Hmm.. never heard of. But the shael shael amn workds fine for me. Maybe i save Kelpie Snare for other character.

14. bill_n_opus

He was a forum member awhile back ... maybe just over a year or so ... and he was caught hacking so A/E and Kremtok whacked him with teh bannage stick.

He was extremely active on the forums. To the point where people thought was almost a spammer. In any case, he showed off an upgraded Hone Sundan x2 with an Ohm rune in it and it sparked quite a conversation in the thread about "this guy is crazy for sticking an Ohm rune into a unique ..." type stuff.

This was before he was banned ... so I always wondered if he hacked the Ohm rune as well. I mean, not many people in their right mind would stick an Ohm rune into a HS ... unless you played Bnet where the rune economy is totally messed up and rife with duping or if you were the luckiest person in d2 overflowing with runes out of your rear end.

15. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hack issue again. Sickening people. Never think twice before acting.. Anyway, what can an Ohm do if i put it into a socketable weapon? So far i never encounter any Ohm. Perhaps i should pay Countess some visit..

16. bill_n_opus

I think it's 40% enhanced damage on the base value which is augmented by the etherealness of the weapon. I would imagine that most people would value an Ohm rune for what you could use it for runeword-wise rather than for a unique since you can use a jewel for that purpose (up to 40% ED plus another mod - like the ruby jewel of fervor 40%ed/15ias).

17. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

back to the topic. hone sundan or kelpie? depends on your character. if you use a necromancer, you probably would choose hone instead of kelpie. decrepify do the slow-thingie. and if you think decrepify itself doesnt enough to make baal slow that he can not harm you, heck... then why my necromancer can do that all the time in hell difficulty? just decrepify him over and over again. and i dont use any clay golem, it sucks--thats what one of fishymancer guide says. and i agree with that. i choose iron golem. so far so good.
    but--there is always but--if your character is other than necromancer, for example amazon or barbarian, then perhaps you have tendency to pick kelpie as your merc weapon during "big" bosses fight.
    my amazon kill normal diablo in players 8 with the help of my merc who was using kelpie. he died several times tho, but really, it helped alot.
    so its up to you. above statements are only my suggestion. at the end, each player's playing style will be the one either you choose this or that.

and bytheway, upped hone sundan socketed with 2 shaels and a ber is not a bad idea as a fishymancer mercs weapon.
    i know someone on the forum out there who use that kind of hone as his mercs weapon of choice :wink3:

18. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

I agree with that Hone Sudan seems to be the best solution for this character. Ohm runes come with 50%ED btw.

19. Suiling

Suiling Banned

So well, This Hone Suadan aided my fishy and he's a pat now. Thank you Hone Sundan!