Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Homosexuality and religion in one thread! woo!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Homosexuality and religion in one thread! woo!

Down the block from me they're debating banning homosexual marriage and a lot of those Senators are saying Christian this and Christian that. Funny, I live next to a lot of Jews and Muslims who don't QUITE believe the same thing. Why the hell is a lawmaker allowed to say that he is following God's word when he makes a law banning homosexual anything...so long as it is a JudeoChristian god. I'd bet that if Pagan said the opposite thing as a lawmaker, there would be a widespread call for his dismissal.

I've read the freepers saying back and forth that this is a Christian nation or a secular humanist nation or merely deist or whatever. I'm sick of it. Why not put "by the will of Jesus H. Christ" on all the laws if we're so Christian. But while we're at it, we'd best make sure we're following the other major Christian tenets. LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF being a big one, both also all that peace and charity stuff.

This message brought to you by angry ranting. :rant:

2. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

A subsidary of Coca Cola. "DRINK COKE NOT PEPSI!"

3. advil

advil IncGamers Member

boston.com's been posting quotes of legislators engaged in debate throughout the day, some're pretty interesting. poll linked from the current story on this: currently just over 10K respondents, 66% approve of the SJC ruling.

half tempted to wander down there (to the statehouse) and check out the protestors, but have too much to do...

4. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Aynee... does the fact that you totally turn me on make me a lesbian?

I say someone should go out and prove that Jesus was a homosexual. Oh boy, that would be something great. Would explain why he always hung around with 12 dudes.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

What's a freeper? I can't give my standard "politicians are idiots" answer until I know.

6. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Freeper = Free Republic poster. FR is a highly conservative site with a lot of interesting views.

Anyway, all I have to say is "In April 1999, Mingo wrote: "Our main desire should be for God's purposes not Samuel's discomfort. We put Samuel in God's hands and leave him there. What can we do for Samuel? NOTHING! God is the master. We are his servants." Later that month, Mingo wrote: "We learned how to give Samuel into God's hand. Karen had to learn to receive correction from whoever the Lord chooses."" - Mingo was the person who convinced Karen to starve her child to death because god said so. Yay!

Edit: where all "yay" means "how the hell could this happen, this poor kid."

7. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

How did you come across this information that Jesus' middle initial is "H"???? ;)

Seriously though... hypocricy runs rampant in many circles, which is why I brought it up in the *** marriage debate thread. We speak many things with our mouths, but very few follow those words the way they are supposed to be carried out. It's the hypocricy that sickens me.

One of the greatest principles is the greatest commandment that you listed "Love Thy Neighbour as Thyself"... if only people truly practiced that, there would be no bloodshed in the name of god.

But don't get me wrong... some Christians/religious folk do practice it somewhat well, but it's human nature to get caught up in "emotions" on charged issues... and getting caught up in emotions is typically a standard recipe for doing things that are contrary to true belief. I firmly believe this with Christianity, Muslims, etc.

... except the Buddhists. When was the last time you saw a Buddhist suicide bomber? I think that's the answer to our problems. We need more Buddhism. :D

8. leesh

leesh Guest

haha too funny

9. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

Well, some Buddist Priests did set themselves on fire as a protest (to the Vietnam war IIRC). But seriously, I have a lot of respect for the teachings of the Budda, more than I have for most other religous teachers.

10. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I hate to break it to you, but those three religions are ridiculously similar and worship the exact same God. Individual practitioners aside, none of the three religions themselves have much love for homosexuals.

The hang-up here isn't so much that people believe in a particular religion or that a lawmaker is a representative of people who believe in a particular religion. The snag is that neither side can be supported without the supporter making a value judgment, it'd be a nice start if we could acknowledge that. Neither side is or even can be rooted in fact, the entire institution of marriage itself is a fabrication. At least these Christians have the balls to stand up and admit they're making a value judgment.

A particular value may be based in a religious education, but the values themselves are not religious nor religions. Agreeing with a value that a religion agrees with, generally and in this instance, does not make you (or the lawmaker or government) religious.

11. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

"Speaking of consistency, Catholics and other Christians are against abortions and are against homosexuals. Well, who has less abortions then homosexuals? Leave these ****in' people alone for christsakes! Here is an entire class of people guaranteed never to have an abortion. And the Catholics and Christians are just tossing them aside. You'd think they'd make natural allies."
    -George Carlin

12. toader

toader Banned

Thats the most intelligent thing Ive ever seen Anyee type :D

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea.

13. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Homosexuals and religions = Homoligion.

Sounds catchy... I say we appoint someone as a God and challenge the church.

14. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Instead of the current idea, the new constitutional amendment should read something like "Government shall make no recognition of any form of social union, and shall neither provide benefits nor impose penalties on any such union." This would be much more in line with the type of material in the rest of the constitution and its amendments.

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It stands for Herbert.

16. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

Duped : It's not really true that neither side in this debate can be supported without 'making a value judgement'. The current situation (fairly arbitrarily) supports one specific form of social contract while disallowing others. Removing government involvement in marriage, or extending access to that contract to all doesn't necessarily involve any kind of value judgement about whether homosexual marriage is 'right' or not.

17. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Not even close. Many of the superficial practices are the same (No sex before marriage, certain foods off-limits in the case of Jews and Muslims, etc.) but the fundamentals of the religions are completely different. The God that the Muslims proclaim is drastically different than the God that the Christian's proclaim.

18. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

They all worship the same God, yet he's different to each of them. I know a good way to solve this problem.

Have an all out gunfight between everyone from every religion. The victors get killed off by atheists. Problem... solved.

19. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

Ask each of them if they worship "the God of Isaac and Abraham" see what they say.

20. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

That's pretty uninforemd dantose...

Christians worship a Trinity, or three persons of God in one. Muslims find the Trinity to be a belief in three separate deities, which to them is the cardinal sin. Minor difference? Not really.