Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy Shock or Holy Freeze ?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by jamesL, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

Holy Shock or Holy Freeze ?

untwinked,
    with zeal
    which do you prefer ?
    why ?

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Holy Shock or Holy Freeze ?

Shock does more damage and you can get Holy Freeze from a merc. One of my first characters was a Holy Shock/Holy Freeze Zealot. Used a ShaelEthEthEthEthEth Phase Blade and a few points in Zeal. He did all right.

3. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Here are the usage for each aura:

Holy freeze- Very effective with zeal because it slows down enemies for crowd control. So frost zealot is the best useage for holy freeze.

Holy shock- I would not bother putting points into that but instead I would used dual dreams. The helm can be any and the shield should be sacred targe 45 all resist base. Max out holy shock syngeries since they add to the lvl 30 holy shock. You could then use zeal on left click and conviction on right click.

4. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

5. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

I wouldnt bother with holy freeze either as its so easy to get it on a merc. Could also give the merc a reapers toll to cast decrepify, that way it wont matter what weapon/skills youre using as the enemies wont be moving anyway!

6. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

You might find Holy Freeze preferable, since although you can get it on a mercenary, you might want to go for a Might merc to improve your physical damage and therefore leach. However a pure Tesladin will probably get you a better damage output, it's mostly a preference thing.

7. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

One advantage to Holy Freeze is that some monsters will shatter when killed, meaning they can't be revived or used for Nith's corpse explosion. On the flip side, you can't redeem them either.

Bottom line, if you are completely untwinked you will probably be better off going Holy Freeze. By slowing the monsters you will get hit less, get swarmed less, and be able to escape more easily. The first character I make every ladder is a Frostadin. A fun, simple, and consistent killer who has no problems until he hits Hell mode. At that point his success is based mostly on his gear.

Once you get better gear a Holy Shock is probably the better build. They output more damage over time which should equate to better killing speed. Teslasins will get swarmed more, but once you have better gear, max block, and max resists it shouldn't be a huge problem unless you're cursed.

Don't forget that Holy Freeze is level 18 while Holy Shock is level 24. That's 6 extra levels without your main attack if you are going the Holy Shock route. Due to this a Holy Shock paladin doesn't "catch-up" offensively to a Holy Freeze paladin until about level 30 - 35. That's a third of the game gone before you're an effective killer if you're going untwinked Tesladin.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Use both, Holy Shock as main aura and low holy freeze aura as backup.

Best weapon for Holy Shock aura (Crescent Moon) is quite easy to make.

Holy freeze is nice backup aura, as you can slow those immunes and usually those lightning immunes have quite low life, so even low holy freeze aura is enough to kill them.

With respects you can change build later when you can handle those immunes with physical damage.

9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Im not quite sure about using both holy freeze and holy shock. I mean you could use 1 pt sanc and maybe a few into vengeance to kill immunes. I would just stick with holy freeze for the crowd control.

10. DH Amazon

That should work too, you have ~70 levels anyway to find decent weapons so no hurry to decide where to put those extra points. Hell is hell for both builds even with decent items. At least respect helps a lot now, so you can correct mistakes.

For that holy freeze backup, as few points as possible (~10-25).
    For nmare backup (souls in act5 etc... ) around 10 points is enough for holy freeze. And later that low level aura is still viable as so many cheap items (duress, raven frost, lawbringer etc...) give some cold damage, those and level 10-15 holy freeze is enough for hell lightning immunes.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

Well, if you go Holy Shock, you get a point in Holy Freeze as a prerequisite. I personally prefer Holy Freeze, but with my last Frostadin, I did place a single point into Holy Shock, and I found a 4-socket scepter with +3 Holy Shock, that I made the runeword Holy Thunder in (ridiculously cheap - Eth-Ral-Ort-Tal), for a total of +6 to holy shock, for dealing with cold immunes. That worked pretty well. (Although I agree that Crescent Moon with its ITD and ctc Static Field is a better option for somewhat more expensive runes.)

One thing I have not seen mentioned yet is if you go with Zeal and any of the elemental auras, getting a decent amount of Crushing Blow is essential. It's very difficult to maintain killing speed, especially against bosses, without at least having SOME CB in your equipment.

EDIT: If you get your hands on a fairly high damage weapon and are running with a might merc, you may not need a second elemental damage type - your physical damage, combined with CB, should be adequate.

Also, I'd highly advise at least a few points in holy shield. There's really no need to max it, as most of the gains for increased chance to block and block speed are gained in the first few points. But getting it up to around skill level 5 or so - either with hard points or +skill items - will help a lot.

12. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Here is my reason for preferring the holy freeze build. I seen a person before with a frost zealot and his build is very hell viable and I saw him beat down d clone. From what I heard about the frost zealot holy freeze is maxed out while you max out zeal and sacrafice for physical damage. I believe a frost zealot would use grief pb although you hit a fpa of 5 iirc. Thats all I got to say about the frost zealot really.

13. Ali Babarian

Ali Babarian IncGamers Member

I have a question about these builds - since you sacrifice a lot of damage on the weapon for the IAS a 4frame Zeal cause you dont have Fanaticism, how do you stay alive with that little leech?

14. DH Amazon

You need 75 ias with Phase Blade, so armor (Threachery) is only slot you need to sacrifce to get 4frame zeal.

Good merc helps a lot and Redemption too as you kill so fast, so corpses are everywhere.

Some damage reduced and absorbs keeps you alive too.
    Threachery is good armor for getting that ias and that gives 15% damage reduced when fade triggers. Shako is good helmet and thats 10% more damage reduced. With max block and some damage reduced, you take only tiny damage in. You have high lightning resistance (85 with passive bonus or 95 with ThunderGod's), 2x raven (cold can't hurt you) and Inferstride (85 fire resist) so elemental damage don't hurt you much either.

With life charms you get life around 1.5k quite easily. That is nice buffer, so there is time to use redemption. CTA helps a lot too, but that might be too expensive for normal play.

Dracula's gloves are one option too, but usually I don't use any life leech for these builds. Holy freeze merc with Reaper's Toll keeps me save.

If I use Dracula's then I make Obedience for both merc and pala and use fana as backup aura. That enchant from Obedience solves some ar problems too And full game 2hand zealer is fun to play. Gives enough crushing blow too, so full game bosses go down fast too.